Dan Duquette did pretty well with July 2018 trades

wildcard

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m going to separate those two things.    The fire sale came at a point where the team had completely collapsed and there was no other rational choice.    I don’t think that reflected a culture change.   In fact, the O’s had a fire sale back in 2000 under circumstances that were a lot less dire, while Peter was clearly in full control.   

The international stuff, I agree seems likely to be the result of the sons taking over control.

Fair enough.,

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m going to separate those two things.    The fire sale came at a point where the team had completely collapsed and there was no other rational choice.    I don’t think that reflected a culture change.   In fact, the O’s had a fire sale back in 2000 under circumstances that were a lot less dire, while Peter was clearly in full control.   

The international stuff, I agree seems likely to be the result of the sons taking over control.

That has to be one of the worst-executed fire sales ever.  Offloaded Surhoff, Bordick, Baines, Clark, and Johnson, and every one of the trades netted someone 28 or older.  Plus some spare parts and minor leaguers that never worked out.  Syd's going in position for all of this must have been "Hey, who''s your 7th-best infielder? That's who we want."  Who acquires a 30-year-old catcher, multiple 27-year-old AAA first basemen, and a 36-year-old outfielder in a fire sale?

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That has to be one of the worst-executed fire sales ever.  Offloaded Surhoff, Bordick, Baines, Clark, and Johnson, and every one of the trades netted someone 28 or older.  Plus some spare parts and minor leaguers that never worked out.  Syd's going in position for all of this must have been "Hey, who''s your 7th-best infielder? That's who we want."  Who acquires a 30-year-old catcher, multiple 27-year-old AAA first basemen, and a 36-year-old outfielder in a fire sale?

Syd was a brilliant baseball man at one time. His period here with the Orioles was not that time.

21 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Yeah, it was bad.    At least Melvin Mora gave them 9.3 mostly productive seasons.   

29 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's stuff like this that makes me laugh when people complain about the Duquette era. 

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think anyone is lauding the Thrift era.

Nah for sure not. I'm just saying, it can get a lot worse - and a lot dumber - than the Duquette era. I mean obviously. It's just something where you read about Thrift again and it's like... wow. The dumbness of it all. 

If Dan got another job in baseball I'd be pretty psyched for him. I don't think it will be as a GM though. 

10 minutes ago, interloper said:

Nah for sure not. I'm just saying, it can get a lot worse - and a lot dumber - than the Duquette era. I mean obviously. It's just something where you read about Thrift again and it's like... wow. The dumbness of it all. 

If Dan got another job in baseball I'd be pretty psyched for him. I don't think it will be as a GM though. 

I think the question a lot of us have about Dan's reign was how much of what happened do to Buck and ownership?

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, it was bad.    At least Melvin Mora gave them 9.3 mostly productive seasons.   

That was a nice consolation prize.  But at the time of the deal the odds of Melvin Mora having a season where he hit .340 and led the league in OBP was smaller than the odds of the Earth being obliterated by an asteroid.

Another head scratcher from that deal: They traded Mike Bordick and his $3M salary for a mediocre package, assuming it was to save money.  Then in the offseason they re-signed Bordick to a contract that would pay him $4.5M and $4.8M over the next two seasons.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

That was a nice consolation prize.  But at the time of the deal the odds of Melvin Mora having a season where he hit .340 and led the league in OBP was smaller than the odds of the Earth being obliterated by an asteroid.

Another head scratcher from that deal: They traded Mike Bordick and his $3M salary for a mediocre package, assuming it was to save money.  Then in the offseason they re-signed Bordick to a contract that would pay him $4.5M and $4.8M over the next two seasons.

I don’t think saving money was the objective of the trade.    I think Thrift was hoping to get lucky with a couple of the acquisitions — and indeed he did get lucky with Mora. And you’ll recall that the pitcher they got in the deal, Leslie Brea, was 4-5 years older than advertised.     

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

What was even worse is that only good player in those deals, Thrift didn't ask for or want, the Mets threw Mora in because he was 28 and his roster spot was being taken by Bordick.  

Edited by Orioles5258
update