Are we witnessing the death of the Orioles?

Todd-O

7 hours ago, Todd-O said:

Not to kick this day off with doom and gloom, but I think baseball in Baltimore is in trouble.  This has everything to do with the Nats and the massive market share that franchise has stolen and is actively solidifying as life-long fans... carved-out of the the wealthy and booming areas of Northern-VA, DC, and Montgomery County.  

It's no mistake that baseball is allowing this to happen.  They know where the money is.  They wanted the region's territory to center around DC, not Baltimore.  

This year was the first year that I began to notice Camden was looking a little ragged around the edges.  The luxury suites are woefully outdated.  The hallways around the club/suite section are knocked up and looking dirty.  At one game I noted one of the food stations in that section of the stadium had filth on the floor and around the food equipment.... the stadium also has signs of wear... and the diamond-vision is looking small and outdated.  Baltimore, in general, is experiencing really tough times. Even the once clean and shiny areas around the stadium are looking ragged – concrete crumbling, weeds, little foot traffic.  It's not a magnet for investment.  It's not a destination for tourism.  It's not a town that suburbanites are heading to – the Baltimore riots and the immediate post-riot drop in stadium attendance at Camden is proof enough.  If you need more proof, just go wander 

You contrast that with what's happening at Nationals Stadium and DC in general.  Billion dollar business are putting offices down in the stadium area.  Condos are going up fast... the restaurant/bar scene is exploding.  And that really extends across the greater DC area, straight into Bethesda and Northern VA.  

While I'm not a fan of the vibe in National's Park, the amenities and state-of-the-art feel is hard to ignore... not to mention the fact that business are packed into their luxury boxes.

Peter Angelos saw this coming 100 miles away.  He knew the value of the DC market was invaluable to the Orioles.  

This year we heard the first rumblings of actual destinations for the Orioles. And while it was shot down, I think it's only a matter of time before the team succumbs to the strength and pull of the Nationals, and the fact that our Metro area isn't as large or balanced as places such as New York or LA.  The Nats are big spenders...and they aren't showing any sign of slowing down.  They tripped the luxury tax threshold 3x in four years... this is Yankees/Red Sox/LA territory.

Baltimore is now a perennial small market team.

I give the Orioles 8 years before the MLB helps usher their departure to more fertile grounds.  It could be sooner, depending on who ultimately buys the team.  Breaks my heart to think that way, but I'm having a hard time seeing this play out any differently.

Oh come on. Can you at least wait to see how the new GM and Manager do before you pronounce the team dead? I understand how you feel. 36 years since the last WS. Baltimore can’t buy championships like the Yankees can. But doggone please don’t give up. Hopefully the Angelos boys will be better than Peter. 

2 hours ago, atomic said:

When Giants stadium was built NYC was in pretty bad condition.  Tons of crime and talk of the city going bankrupt.  It isn't the NYC you see today. 

DC was in worse shape then we are now.  Crack smoking mayor.  Tons of crime.  Highest murder rate in the country with under reporting of murders.  Georgetown fought a metro stop as they didn't want all the crime hitting the one part of the city with low crime. 

Why was the new stadium built in NJ if the city is doing well?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I have to say the Nationals is a stupid name for a team.  But all of the DC teams have terrible names.

MLB picked the name.  Bud Selig wanted to use Senators, but the DC mayor objected.

a_expos1_il.jpg

Despite his cap, Williams said he doesn't want to recycle the Senators name for political reasons -- Washington doesn't have voting representation in the U.S. Senate.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=1891484

2 hours ago, O's are Legends said:

WjvLrnYw?format=jpg&name=600x314

Game 4 of the NLDS plenty of empty seats

Now the Bandwagon in Full Force

I don't root against the Nats unless I have a good reason to, but I will say I've been annoyed that they at times seem to have taken their branding cues directly from the O's.

The O's put "Baltimore" in cursive font on the away jerseys, so then the Nats make an awfully similar jersey with their "Washington" print...

The O's dub OPACY to be "Birdland".. now all of the sudden DC is "Natstown"(barf)

O's bring back the tri-panel hat... and guess who's sporting a new tri-panel hat as their alternate (or was it spring training? don't remember)

Last night saw a guy in the stands with a "Nats Magic" sign ?

1 minute ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

I don't root against the Nats unless I have a good reason to, but I will say I've been annoyed that they at times seem to have taken their branding cues directly from the O's.

The O's put "Baltimore" in cursive font on the away jerseys, so then the Nats make an awfully similar jersey with their "Washington" print...

The O's dub OPACY to be "Birdland".. now all of the sudden DC is "Natstown"(barf)

O's bring back the tri-panel hat... and guess who's sporting a new tri-panel hat as their alternate (or was it spring training? don't remember)

Last night saw a guy in the stands with a "Nats Magic" sign ?

Nats Magic?

source.gif

As a lifelong resident of northern Virginia and fan of this team since 1982 all I can say is I completely disagree.  I am patiently waiting for the rebuild process and am very excited.  Fans will be back.  There isn't a lot of incentive to go to the ballpark to see a team you know has not chance at postseason action.  

5 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

and that poster is never ever wrong. So book it gone. :)

Maybe the gold watch in the John D. McDonald book that could stop time for everybody but the person holding the watch.

I wonder how many posters never ever heard of this book. :)

434232.jpg

Read it (and many other books by the great John D).

And saw a cheesy TV movie adaptation with Pam Dawber (Mindy of "Mork and..." fame).