Catching

wildcard

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

At this point, I don’t see the value of having Wynns on the 40 man. He either clears waivers and is AAA depth, or we just sign a similar C on a milb deal for AAA. Then if there is a need we add that C to the 40 man. 

The value is that @Legend_of_Joey has someone to pal around with!

• Haha 1

Plenty of FA Catching available.  I'd expect us to pick up one of these guys on milb deal with an invite to ST,

Elias Diaz C            
Welington Castillo C            
Tim Federowicz C            
Matt Wieters C            
Martin Maldonado C            
Josh Phegley C            
Jesus Sucre C            
Robinson Chirinos C            
Nick Hundley C            
Jonathan Lucroy C            
Francisco Cervelli C            
Russell Martin C            
Jason Castro C            
Kevin Plawecki C            
Chris Iannetta C            
Kevan Smith C            
John Murphy C            
Bryan Holaday C            
John Hicks C / 1B

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Plenty of FA Catching available.  I'd expect us to pick up one of these guys on milb deal with an invite to ST,

Elias Diaz C            
Welington Castillo C            
Tim Federowicz C            
Matt Wieters C            
Martin Maldonado C            
Josh Phegley C            
Jesus Sucre C            
Robinson Chirinos C            
Nick Hundley C            
Jonathan Lucroy C            
Francisco Cervelli C            
Russell Martin C            
Jason Castro C            
Kevin Plawecki C            
Chris Iannetta C            
Kevan Smith C            
John Murphy C            
Bryan Holaday C            
John Hicks C / 1B

You can take Federowicz off here. He was signed by the Rangers to a MiLB deal with a Spring Training invite.

Probably also safe to remove Jesus Sucre, after the way last season ended.

Also, I don't see Caleb on the list.

12 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Elias Diaz C            
Welington Castillo C            
Tim Federowicz C            
Matt Wieters C            
Martin Maldonado C            
Josh Phegley C            
Jesus Sucre C            
Robinson Chirinos C            
Nick Hundley C            
Jonathan Lucroy C            
Francisco Cervelli C            
Russell Martin C            
Jason Castro C            
Kevin Plawecki C            
Chris Iannetta C            
Kevan Smith C            
John Murphy C            
Bryan Holaday C            
John Hicks C / 1B

How many of those guys will sign a minor league contract to play at Norfolk and are good  defensive catchers?

21 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

You can take Federowicz off here. He was signed by the Rangers to a MiLB deal with a Spring Training invite.

Probably also safe to remove Jesus Sucre, after the way last season ended.

Also, I don't see Caleb on the list.

Honestly Like Sucre better than most of these guys. Seems like we could find a AAAA guy or a blocked guy that might have some upside.

6 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

I'd like to see them bring in Wieters (or a similar veteran catcher) to mentor AR and play as needed. Rutschman's not going to learn a thing from the current crop of catchers.

If only they could have guys that worked with the team that weren't players, they could coach the players.  But what to call them?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

If only they could have guys that worked with the team that weren't players, they could coach the players.  But what to call them?

Ray. They could call them all Ray.

I think players learn things from veteran players that is different from what they learn from coaches, and just as important.

Just now, mdbdotcom said:

Ray. They could call them all Ray.

I think players learn things from veteran players that is different from what they learn from coaches, and just as important.

That is a very interesting point, and I think you are completely correct. The relationship of a teacher and a student is very different than the relationship of a student and another student. Thinking about my own interaction with teachers and colleagues, the discussion is much more two-way with a colleague, disagreement is easier, but it’s possible that because the colleagues are still in the field, so to speak, suggestions might carry a bit more weight. 

I’d love to see them bring back Caleb.

At the beginning of the off season, Zack Collins looked like he had the chance to get a decent number of at bats for the White Sox in 2020 as a back up catcher and 1st base / DH.  Since the White Sox resigned Jose Abreu and signed Yasmani Grandal and Edwin Encarnacion as free agents, Collins is completely blocked.

Collins was the 10th pick in the 2016 draft as a bat first catcher.  By all accounts, he has focused on his defense since his pro career started, but there is considerable debate whether his defense is good enough to stick at catcher in the majors.

Collins will be 25 in February and had a .951 OPS in 88 games in AAA in 2019.  He is a three outcome hitter that struck out 27% of the time and walked 17% in AAA.  Fangraphs gives him a 70 power grade.  

The White Sox are focused on improving their bullpen now.  A trade of Collins for Givens would make a lot of sense for both teams.  Collins is exactly the type of player the Orioles should be giving a chance to while they rebuild.  He won't cost a lot and if he works out, he is young enough to be in his prime when the Orioles are ready to compete.

The Orioles could see what Collins does defensively at catcher in 2020.  Ideally he wouId be able to stick at catcher. However, if not, I would not be surprised if his bat plays up if he is moved off of catcher and is more focused on hitting.

• Upvote 2