Rule 5 thoughts

Roll Tide

1 minute ago, Philip said:

When I found out that Bailey had been traded straight up for Laureano, my first thought was,” Oh God I hope Elias didn’t make that trade.”

I was thinking, "Oh yeah!"

But, truly, how many times in history have two players been traded for each other?

(set off my bullshtt detector immediately when I saw those two had been rumored to have been traded for each other again)

3 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

I was thinking, "Oh yeah!"

But, truly, how many times in history have two players been traded for each other?

(set off my bullshtt detector immediately when I saw those two had been rumored to have been traded for each other again)

I was referring to the first trade. Laureano has been worth 6 WAR in two seasons since that trade and Bailey just got taken in the Rule 5.

One of the trades of the decade for the Athletics.

2 minutes ago, Philip said:

I was referring to the first trade. Laureano has been worth 6 WAR in two seasons since that trade and Bailey just got taken in the Rule 5.

Elias wasn’t responsible for making trades.    But he may have evaluated Bailey.   

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

Lauerano was a 16th round juco who really came out of no where in 2016. Then fell completely flat the next year in AA. You don't give up on toolsy's 22 year olds in most cases. Some of their trades are just a function of being so loaded with talent. Laureano was taking up a 40 man roster spot and Bailey was not and the exact same age as him. 

Timing is everything and the A's were investing at the right time to right team. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Philip said:

OK. Good. Yes!!!

I am assuming so , but have you seen Laureano throw? It's life-changing.

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Elias wasn’t responsible for making trades.    But he may have evaluated Bailey.   

It was a joke. I know Elias wouldn’t have been high enough to make the trade. It was more a reference to how lopsided it was.

It occurred to me because right now we don’t really know how Elias will fare in the chess match that is the offseason. Billy Beane is smart, Luhnow is smart, whoever runs St Louis and Tampa is smart and at the other end of the scale you may place whomever you think is the biggest dunderhead. It remains to be seen how Mike will do. I have confidence in him, though whoever DID make that trade was totally taken.

14 minutes ago, Philip said:

It was a joke. I know Elias wouldn’t have been high enough to make the trade. It was more a reference to how lopsided it was.

It occurred to me because right now we don’t really know how Elias will fare in the chess match that is the offseason. Billy Beane is smart, Luhnow is smart, whoever runs St Louis and Tampa is smart and at the other end of the scale you may place whomever you think is the biggest dunderhead. It remains to be seen how Mike will do. I have confidence in him, though whoever DID make that trade was totally taken.

Half of all medical doctors graduated in the bottom of their class.

Some Fangraphs comments on the players we selected in the minor league portion of the draft:

“The Orioles popped two players, first baseman Cristopher Cespedes and second baseman Wilbis Santiago, from Cleveland’s lower minors. Cespedes had the second-highest average exit velo in the minors last year at a whopping 96 mph on average, but he’s a first base-only guy who’s been in rookie ball for several years. I love Santiago’s swing and think he’s been a victim of Cleveland’s terrific middle infield depth in the lower minors, which is why he’s been quite old for his level.”

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-2019-rule-5-draft-scouting-reports/

This report also comments on Bailey and Rucker.    I posted those quotes on the threads about those two players.

12 hours ago, Philip said:

Not quite. Half of all doctors graduate in the bottom 50%, but there’s a huge difference between the guy who hit 49% and the poor sod in the bottom 1%.

As if we would know which doctors graduated in the bottom 1%.

Still, my math holds that half of all doctors graduate in the bottom half of their classes.