Villar Traded to Marlins for LHS Easton Lucas

weams

4 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

I think it's more complicated than that.  I don't think anyone consciously says, "I want to go see Villar."  But, they do say, "I want to watch the Orioles" or "I don't want to watch the Orioles."  Having Villar makes me more likely to watch the Orioles, as a team.  Now, we will have Hays and he makes me more likely to watch the team.  We might have Mountcastle after Elias is through playing control games, and that would make me more likely to watch the team.  So, it's pretty clear that I don't like the move since I don't think it helps the rebuild or shortens the timeline in any way.  And, I don't think keeping Villar would have hurt the rebuild or lengthened the timeline in any way.  But, it would have made the team more watchable, in my opinion as a fan.

My wife was a big Richie Martin fan. Not that she knew him to be great but as an avid baseball fan she enjoyed seeing his journey. Would she wave watched without him? Heck yeah. Would she have been a bigger Orioles fan had they won 15 more games? No way. 

12 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

If Lucas pitches to one batter during the next season we go to the playoffs, he will be of more value to us than Villar.

What if that I be batter gets a game winning hit that knocks from a division title to a wildcard team where we face Heimlich and he no-hits us?

If you take a small step back and view this thread re: either Russell or Villar, I think you get a fair representation of what the fan base would think, regardless of whether they're right or wrong.

Most will be mad Villar was dealt for a small return.

A lot would be angry that we brought on Russell.

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

I think it's more complicated than that.  I don't think anyone consciously says, "I want to go see Villar."  But, they do say, "I want to watch the Orioles" or "I don't want to watch the Orioles."  Having Villar makes me more likely to watch the Orioles, as a team.  Now, we will have Hays and he makes me more likely to watch the team.  We might have Mountcastle after Elias is through playing control games, and that would make me more likely to watch the team.  So, it's pretty clear that I don't like the move since I don't think it helps the rebuild or shortens the timeline in any way.  And, I don't think keeping Villar would have hurt the rebuild or lengthened the timeline in any way.  But, it would have made the team more watchable, in my opinion as a fan.

Excellent post, and I get it. For me personally, Villar isn't going to change how many games I watch. I'm still going to be multi-tasking in the background until they flirt with .500 again.  

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

Gibson got 3/30. Hamels got 1/18(I believe). Bundy is in those guys’ relative league and a lot cheaper in salary. 

I don't believe we will get back the two top 100 prospects that would satisfy the masses here. 

4 minutes ago, weams said:

I don't believe we will get back the two top 100 prospects that would satisfy the masses here. 

I think we would be happy with a couple of guys from a team's top 20 prospects.  Of course not if it were the Red Sox but an average team's top 20. 

17 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Excellent post, and I get it. For me personally, Villar isn't going to change how many games I watch. I'm still going to be multi-tasking in the background until they flirt with .500 again.  

I figured if you added Hays and Mountcastle, kept Villar and moved Mancini to first full time maybe we have a decent line-up. Are pitching would still be bad but we might be more exciting to watch.  

• Upvote 1

If you are OK with the O's trading Villar for a token prospect just to get rid of his salary, would you also be OK if the O's traded Givens, Bundy and Mancini for token prospects? 

I think we can all agree that the O's aren't going to be competitive for a few more years.  Should we just trade everyone who will no longer be under team control by the time we are good again, even if we get nothing in return?