How the Orioles could win the World Series next year.

GuidoSarducci

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

If we really wanted to jump-start the rebuild you'll want to wipe out the All Star game.  The big teams would lose four, five, six of their best players, the O's are probably out a single 3-win guy.

Vote Chris Davis onto the All-Star team

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The real question is do we give Carlos Correa 10/300 to sign here in 2022?  

As an aspirant for the Miguel Tejada thing to happen again two years from now, obligatory mention that for the moment at least - along with Correa.....Francisco Lindor, Javier Baez, Trevor Story and Corey Seager round out the Fab Five Class of 2022 shortstops.

The 2012 Baltimore Orioles, who made the wildcard and took the Yanks to 5 games in the division series, scored 712 runs and allowed 705.   

The 2019 Baltimore Orioles scored 729 runs and allowed 981. 

So our 2019 offense as much as it got knocked was hypothetically good enough to make the WC and we basically have the same guys, minus Villar.  But we will have more younger guys in the lineup and maybe players like Santander or Severino have breakout years.

I suppose improving the starting pitching wouldn't be enough - our bullpen was pretty bad too so that would need to be addressed.  I don't see a whole lot of options in FA beyond second chance guys.  I guess we would have to hope Castro and Givens just play better.

1 minute ago, GuidoSarducci said:

The 2012 Baltimore Orioles, who made the wildcard and took the Yanks to 5 games in the division series, scored 712 runs and allowed 705.   

The 2019 Baltimore Orioles scored 729 runs and allowed 981. 

So our 2019 offense as much as it got knocked was hypothetically good enough to make the WC and we basically have the same guys, minus Villar.  But we will have more younger guys in the lineup and maybe players like Santander or Severino have breakout years.

I suppose improving the starting pitching wouldn't be enough - our bullpen was pretty bad too so that would need to be addressed.  I don't see a whole lot of options in FA beyond second chance guys.  I guess we would have to hope Castro and Givens just play better.

You should probably compare the run scoring environments before using that sort of logic.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Trading Villar and Bundy didn't move the needle at all. They were destined for last place with or without them. 

So if you go back and read the initial post you wouldn't have responded with this!

He suggested signing 3 top free agents to move us to a world series contender. My point.....If they were going to invest heavily in 3 top players they wouldn't have parted with Villar and Bundy.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You should probably compare the run scoring environments before using that sort of logic.

I think Guido does have one solid point in his favor, which is that WAR, run differential and actual wins don’t always correlate.    After all, did we add 24 wins worth of talent between 2011 and 2012?    No, but we won 24 more games.   

Two problems with that, though: (1) large discrepancies like that can occur, but they’re not very common, and (2) we’d need to add 40 wins, not 24, to be a World Series contender.    

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So if you go back and read the initial post you wouldn't have responded with this!

He suggested signing 3 top free agents to move us to a world series contender. My point.....If they were going to invest heavily in 3 top players they wouldn't have parted with Villar and Bundy.

How else can you afford the three top players?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, tntoriole said:

If they draft a young ambidextrous guy out of Arkansas to play third base, then develop a righthander who has a fastball and a huge leg kick, have some big guy who eats a lot of BBQ take over at 1b,  and a guy who wants to be a manager play second, and develop this guy who looks like Lurch to catch,  then trade Milt Pappas for.....

He'll have to cut down on that leg kick to get to an acceptable TTTP.

Gonna need a SS and 2B. Maybe one of the minor league managers has kids who are ready. Even if the SS seems too tall for the position and the 2Bman has an annoying habit of writing things on the knob of his bat, give them a shot now that Villar is gone.

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I did read the original post. I was commenting on your statement that "the moves they made already moved the needed in the wrong direction" . The needle doesn't move when it's already on empty. 

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I did read the original post. I was commenting on your statement that "the moves they made already moved the needed in the wrong direction" . The needle doesn't move when it's already on empty. 

Well actually it did! It moved things 6.3 WAR in the wrong direction if you changed your plans and decided to go on a spending frenzy

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Well actually it did! It moved things 6.3 WAR in the wrong direction if you changed your plans and decided to go on a spending frenzy

Last place is last place and I think it's been well established they you're in the minority in thinking that Villar can be a 3+ WAR player again.