Caleb needs to come home

wildcard

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/baltimore-orioles/orioles-get-postseason-thanks-matt-wieters-kevin-gausman

Wieters hit his second home run of the game against left-hander Tommy Layne, and it was 5-1 in the sixth. The switch-hitter is the first Oriole to hit home runs from both sides of the plate since Roberto Alomar since July 25, 1996. 

49 minutes ago, interloper said:

I feel more warm fuzzies for Wieters than I do Caleb. Caleb is a fun character and a nice minors-to-majors blue collar story. But Wieters was the guy in our playoff runs, he had some big hits despite not quite living up to the hype. He's the guy that got plowed over but hung onto the ball in the 17 inning Sox game. He had a freaking gun for an arm pre-injury. He was actually good! 

This isn't me vouching for Wieters to come back or anything, I'm just saying. If I was forced to pick a guy, I'd pick Wieters over Caleb all day every day. It's not really even that close IMO. 

Depends on what the O's are looking for.

Wieters as made almost  60m in baseball.   He is not going to the minors.  He would retire before he did that.

Caleb has made about 3m in baseball.  At 33 he is probably willing to go to the minors in hopes he can get some mure time in the majors when injuries or non performance happens to catchers on the major league team.   Joseph future could be as a catching coach or a manager.   

My understanding is the Elias is looking for catching depth, probably at the AAA level.  Caleb fits that need if he is willing to sign a minor league contract.

4 hours ago, interloper said:

I feel more warm fuzzies for Wieters than I do Caleb. Caleb is a fun character and a nice minors-to-majors blue collar story. But Wieters was the guy in our playoff runs, he had some big hits despite not quite living up to the hype. He's the guy that got plowed over but hung onto the ball in the 17 inning Sox game. He had a freaking gun for an arm pre-injury. He was actually good! 

This isn't me vouching for Wieters to come back or anything, I'm just saying. If I was forced to pick a guy, I'd pick Wieters over Caleb all day every day. It's not really even that close IMO. 

I don’t disagree with your assessment of the two players, but for the record, Wieters was out almost all season the year that we won the division title, and Caleb as a rookie was our principal catcher that year (sharing time with Hundley, who we picked up after Wieters got hurt).    That team had the lowest ERA of any Orioles team in recent memory (3.44 overall, and 3.00 when Caleb was catching).     So, I do think Caleb gets some significant credit there.  

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t disagree with your assessment of the two players, but for the record, Wieters was out almost all season the year that we won the division title, and Caleb as a rookie was our principal catcher that year (sharing time with Hundley, who we picked up after Wieters got hurt).    That team had the lowest ERA of any Orioles team in recent memory (3.44 overall, and 3.00 when Caleb was catching).     So, I do think Caleb gets some significant credit there.  

You're right! I had forgotten about that. 

• 3 weeks later...

Quick bit about Caleb in Roch's column today. I just wanted to mention it because I always thought Caleb would be very good in the broadcast booth. Glad to hear he seems interested too.

Former Orioles catcher Caleb Joseph signed a minor league deal with the Blue Jays, an offer he had been weighing against an opportunity in television. Confirmation arrived yesterday morning.

He’s a natural for broadcasting, whether in TV or radio, and eventually should transition, but he isn’t quite ready to hang up the spikes.