Iglesias signs with O's

weams

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yep, could be.    Or, another guy who emerges this spring.  

Hancock is a bit of a concern,  with his previous injury and still being really young,

I dont follow college ball, but it appears this draft has a decent amount of guys, but nobody that just stands out over the others.

2 hours ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

Obviously things will change before the Draft in June, but I like the idea of taking Emerson Hancock. A 2023 rotation with Grayson Rodriguez, DL Hall, and Emerson Hancock has potential to be pretty good.

I'm pretty optimistic about Gunnar Henderson - time will tell if he can stick at shortstop.

That rotation sounds great to me, but people need to realize that’s 2023 with a rookie rotation. If not rookie, real close to it. We’re far away. Haha

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The min salary is $563,500 next year. So we’re paying $2.4ish million to have really good defense at SS. That’s a pretty good deal. 

This reminds me of when we signed Cesar Izturis. In fact the contract is basically the same,

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story?id=3772759&src=desktop

I think our defense takes a big step forward this year with Iglesias at SS, Hays in CF, and Severino likely being being the “starting” Catcher. 

11-years ago, though. So I’d say this is less money relative to league environments. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The min salary is $563,500 next year. So we’re paying $2.4ish million to have really good defense at SS. That’s a pretty good deal. 

This reminds me of when we signed Cesar Izturis. In fact the contract is basically the same,

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story?id=3772759&src=desktop

I think our defense takes a big step forward this year with Iglesias at SS, Hays in CF, and Severino likely being being the “starting” Catcher. 

Severino is a horrible defensive catcher.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That rotation sounds great to me, but people need to realize that’s 2023 with a rookie rotation. If not rookie, real close to it. We’re far away. Haha

If any of the pitchers are special, they don't need long to be good.  Mussina was excellent right away, even Bedard was a 4-win pitcher by his third year (only with us four seasons).  We just haven't had that in so long it feels impossible.  As long as Hall and Rodriguez keep their health, they have a fair shot to challenge matching Mountcastle's AAA MVP. next year.  And if they progress well, I can't think of many examples of Top 30-ish MLB-wide pitching prospects being held to full AAA seasons.  Even the Rays used Moore in 2011 and Price in 2008.

Back on Iglesias, I'd known he was a contact-oriented hitter but hadn't realized it's gone as far as he's been amongst the five toughest to strike out MLB-wide a few times.  Cincinnati's park may have tempted him to swing a little harder last year as he was just Top 20ish.

52 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

If any of the pitchers are special, they don't need long to be good.  Mussina was excellent right away, even Bedard was a 4-win pitcher by his third year (only with us four seasons).  We just haven't had that in so long it feels impossible.  As long as Hall and Rodriguez keep their health, they have a fair shot to challenge matching Mountcastle's AAA MVP. next year.  And if they progress well, I can't think of many examples of Top 30-ish MLB-wide pitching prospects being held to full AAA seasons.  Even the Rays used Moore in 2011 and Price in 2008.

Back on Iglesias, I'd known he was a contact-oriented hitter but hadn't realized it's gone as far as he's been amongst the five toughest to strike out MLB-wide a few times.  Cincinnati's park may have tempted him to swing a little harder last year as he was just Top 20ish.

...then why is is his OBP so pathetic? I'm not knocking him, but let's call a spade a spade. He's a great defensive player (which will be great for our young pitchers), but well below average offensively. To the point where if/when his defense slips a bit he's probably going to have a hard time finding a MLB job. He's perfect for this team but he's going to contribute little to nothing offensively and there's very little chance of him flipping him via trade. He's simply a cheap, affordable, stable defensive presence for us for the next two seasons. 

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

...then why is is his OBP so pathetic? I'm not knocking him, but let's call a spade a spade. He's a great defensive player (which will be great for our young pitchers), but well below average offensively. To the point where if/when his defense slips a bit he's probably going to have a hard time finding a MLB job. He's perfect for this team but he's going to contribute little to nothing offensively and there's very little chance of him flipping him via trade. He's simply a cheap, affordable, stable defensive presence for us for the next two seasons. 

Just because a guy doesn't strike out a lot doesn't mean he takes a lot of walks or makes a lot of quality contact.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

He didn’t walk much.  His stats are pretty similar to Alberto last season.  Both scored 62 runs and he had 54 RBIs to Albertos 51. Same amount of doubles.  Triples and home runs similar. 3 to 2 and 11 to 12.  20 BB to 16 BB.  

Also only 3 players on Orioles scored more than 62 runs last season and 1 of them is gone.

17 hours ago, Bubble Buddy said:

That deal looks really affordable for a guy with Iglesias' reputation (at least around here). Looking closer, I always assumed he was a defensive wizard, yet he's only had a WAR above 2 once. ?

Defensive metrics are not a good touchstone. 

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

His OBP is not that bad.    Median team  OBP for SS last year was .317, Iglesias was .318.     Not saying he’s a world-beater but I wouldn’t say his OBP is “pathetic.”   His bigger problem is his lack of power, even for a SS.

• Upvote 2