Is Mouncastle as good a hitter as Mancini was prior to his rookie year?

wildcard

The biggest difference between the hitters, IMO, is just approach. Mancini has a good approach at the plate and he's addressed specific things about his approach/swing to become a very good ML hitter.

Mountcastle I think has more pure hitter skills. Will they be enough to overcome his approach issues? A lot of smart people think so, so that's great. But if he struggles in his first year or two, I don't think that's going to be all that surprising. Nor will it speak that poorly of him as a player. 

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

The biggest difference between the hitters, IMO, is just approach. Mancini has a good approach at the plate and he's addressed specific things about his approach/swing to become a very good ML hitter.

Mountcastle I think has more pure hitter skills. Will they be enough to overcome his approach issues? A lot of smart people think so, so that's great. But if he struggles in his first year or two, I don't think that's going to be all that surprising. Nor will it speak that poorly of him as a player. 

But if he makes one bad thrown from left the jury will convict.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

But if he makes one bad thrown from left the jury will convict.

I'm really interested to see how he looks out there in ST. It can't be any worse than DSJ, but I'm guessing it might not be as good as Santander, who I thought improved a lot defensively last year. 

Either way, if he slugs, who cares. Which is sorta how I feel about Mancini playing OF, who I seem to recall you convict on the regular as an OFer. :)

No because Mancini's approach at the plate and plate discipline improved at every level as he advanced through the minors. In his last full season in the minors, Mancini actually had a respectable 9.5 BB%. I bet Mountcastle's walk to strikeout ratio would resemble rookie year Jonathan Schoop if he played an entire season next year in the majors.

58 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Forget the defense for a minute.   Mancini had a 775 OPS at AAA prior to his rookie year.   Mountcastle had a 871 OPS at  AAA.   But the ball was different.   Do you think we can expect Mountcastle to hit as well has Mancini did his rookie year?

Mountcastle Age 22 season - AAA .871 OPS

Trey Mancini Age 22 season - A/A+ .735 OPS

• Upvote 3