Is Mouncastle as good a hitter as Mancini was prior to his rookie year?

wildcard

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

You are more critical of outfield defense than anyone. Hopefully, you will give us an unbiased opinion on Mountcastle when the time comes.

I don't think that is an accurate statement.  I can think of one poster in particular that is much more concerned about defense than I am.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes.

The sound rarely lies.

If you covered up the poster's name and showed me this post I would have bet the mortgage it was from Weams.

Corn doing Weams impressions, cats sleeping with dogs, nothing makes sense anymore.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Forget the defense for a minute.   Mancini had a 775 OPS at AAA prior to his rookie year.   Mountcastle had a 871 OPS at  AAA.   But the ball was different.   Do you think we can expect Mountcastle to hit as well has Mancini did his rookie year?

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mountcastle Age 22 season - AAA .871 OPS

Trey Mancini Age 22 season - A/A+ .735 OPS

I think there’s two issues here: short term and long term.    I would not bet on Mountcastle having as good a rookie year as Mancini, when the latter put up a 120 OPS+.   That’s a very good rookie year, and was good for 3rd in the ROY voting.   It would be asking a lot for Mountcastle to match that, and I’ll guess he falls short of that, while still holding his own and putting up a 110+.    And, he’ll be two years younger than Mancini was when he does that.

Which brings us to the long term.    I think Mountcastle has the higher ceiling, though Mancini is doing a pretty good job of maxing out on his.    I think in the long run Mountcastle will be a somewhat better hitter, which is saying something, because Mancini’s pretty damned good.    The plate discipline is an issue but I think Mountcastle will adjust at least to a reasonable degree.    

By the way, for some league context, Mancini had a .351 wOBA and 124 wRC+ in AAA, while Mountcastle had .367 and 117.     The league average was .254/.319/.378 when Mancini played at Norfolk, .266/.342/.445 when Mountcastle played there last year.   So really, they performed quite similarly if you consider league context.   

10 minutes ago, SteveA said:

If you covered up the poster's name and showed me this post I would have bet the mortgage it was from Weams.

Corn doing Weams impressions, cats sleeping with dogs, nothing makes sense anymore.

Weams and I agree more often than you might think.

One thing we agree on is the sound.

You can't fake it.

45 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You are more critical of outfield defense than anyone. Hopefully, you will give us an unbiased opinion on Mountcastle when the time comes.

43 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think that is an accurate statement.  I can think of one poster in particular that is much more concerned about defense than I am.

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

Humph...that throw was offline.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You can't fake it.

So how many times have you heard Mountcastle bat?

I’ll say this: two years ago I went to a game with hoosiers and we had really good seats close to the plate.    The O’s hit three homers in the first inning.    The one by Mancini sounded like a bomb going off.   They don’t call him “Boom Boom” for nothing.    

Just now, Frobby said:

So how many times have you heard Mountcastle bat?

I’ll say this: two years ago I went to a game with hoosiers and we had really good seats close to the plate.    The O’s hit three homers in the first inning.    The one by Mancini sounded like a bomb going off.   They don’t call him “Boom Boom” for nothing.    

I don't know, scores?  MiLB radio is a thing.

28 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Even Johnny Damon had some assists.  I ain't impressed on a throw from shallow LF.

There will always be assists.  I'm blanking on the LF, but I remember once late career Jim Thome against us blooped one into the LF corner when he couldn't really move at all, and still tried and succeeded at getting a double because the LF arm was so poor.  I remember noting it to a pal as the opposite of the Immovable Object v. Irresistible Force.  

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You can't fake it.

Mediocre defense, great sound off the bat: two things Mancini possesses that Mountcastle also possesses, yet I see you denigrate Mancini on the regular. 

That's hypocritical, no?