Chris Davis, 2020

Frobby

5 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

How can you not root for him to do well, if you are a fan of the team?

That doesnt meant we stick our head in the sand and pretend there isnt a problem.

At least they are working with identifying the problem and a solution.

Time will tell.

I'm rooting for him, of course.

I'd love to see him hit 50 HRs again, as unlikely as that would be.

But I am concerned that he will show JUST ENOUGH improvement that will make it harder for Elias to convince ownership to let him go.   Suppose he improves to .230/.310/.440.   That's a big jump (almost .150 OPS) from last year.   But it still puts him well below average for a 1B/DH and he is still potentially blocking Mountcastle and/or Mancini from playing first.   And that big jump might buy him a couple extra years of play to the overall detriment of the team.

So I'm in a quandary of sorts.   I like Chris and want him to do better.   But if he does somewhat better, it may hurt the team long term.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

But I am concerned that he will show JUST ENOUGH improvement that will make it harder for Elias to convince ownership to let him go.   Suppose he improves to .230/.310/.440.   That's a big jump (almost .150 OPS) from last year.   But it still puts him well below average for a 1B/DH and he is still potentially blocking Mountcastle and/or Mancini from playing first.   And that big jump might buy him a couple extra years of play to the overall detriment of the team.

So I'm in a quandary of sorts.   I like Chris and want him to do better.   But if he does somewhat better, it may hurt the team long term.

What would be the minimum production people here would accept from Davis to be okay with him being an everyday player next year and beyond?

Would a .240 BA with 20 HR, 75 RBI, and .650 OPS be enough?

7 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

What would be the minimum production people here would accept from Davis to be okay with him being an everyday player next year and beyond?

If he hits .240 with 20 HR, his OPS will be north of .700. Probably closer to what @SteveA suggested above.

Personally, I say root for the guy and if we have that problem it will work out. I don't think we will be contending next year. Trey Mancini could be traded, Nunez could develop as a 3B, Mountcastle shocks everyone and plays a passable LF, etc. I don't think we need to root against Davis' (potential) success.

1 minute ago, Gatoriole said:

If he hits .240 with 20 HR, his OPS will be north of .700. Probably closer to what @SteveA suggested above.

Personally, I say root for the guy and if we have that problem it will work out. I don't think we will be contending next year. Trey Mancini could be traded, Nunez could develop as a 3B, Mountcastle shocks everyone and plays a passable LF, etc. I don't think we need to root against Davis' (potential) success.

Everyone won't be shocked.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SteveA said:

This team is going to be bad in 2021 as well.  Davis being or not doesn't really hurt much other than Mancini's WAR.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Yossarian said:

I'd have to see that OPS at .775 or so.

I'm with @SteveA, worst case scenario is that he improves a little bit, shows some flashes of previous glory days and makes it hard for the FO/ownership to cut bait.

13 hours ago, SteveA said:

Trying to find places to play good players is a good place to be.

Give it some time to play out, and lets see what happens.

15 hours ago, SteveA said:

Baseball is tremendous game.  Chris Davis has been terrible...historically bad for two plus years.  I agree that at this point the absolute worst thing may be an improvement like you describe above.  But in terms of likelihood, the chances of that much improvement are slight.  And if we carry the example to the extreme and push him to an even bigger jump, folks will begin thinking he could be moved.  It would be a great baseball story for Davis to rebound to something close to what you describe.  And I think Davis is arguably blocking 1B/DH now even with the bump to 26.  But until the O's are climbing I don't think they care.  They will cut him when they have to, or he will quit.  In the meantime, we get to hope for improvement. 

I think they know where they are and I think Davis knows where they are.  I hope he crushes 50 this year.  He may be off to one of the better starts in camp.  It won't last, but why not hope that it does!  That would be so cool.