MLB suspended, Opening Day delayed indefinitely UPDATED

interloper

27 minutes ago, orpheus100 said:

At this point I'd take baseball without fans and I would be very enthusiastic about it. It would be a great distraction.

I'm starving for any kind of sports at this point

+1, not only are we stuck inside,  taking baseball away is like rubbing salt on the wound. Any semblance of normalcy would be a big boost and I would welcome it.  

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

+1, not only are we stuck inside,  taking baseball away is like rubbing salt on the wound. Any semblance of normalcy would be a big boost and I would welcome it.  

I actually watched a simulation broadcast of a Wizards-Bucks game played on NBA 2K20 last night shown on NBC Sports Washington. 

2 hours ago, atomic said:

You seem to overvalue baseball. Schools and restaurants and stores are more important than baseball and playing in empty stadiums is just ridiculous.  It will go over like a lead balloon. It just shows how out of touch people are in regard to sports and their significance. The government will not waste resources on grown men playing a child’s game when this is going on.

Kinda strange to say one of the least frequent posters on this board overvalues baseball. Did I suggest schools and restaurants are less important than baseball? No, that was your embellishment. We’re going to see tens of thousands of Americans die in the next two months. It’s going to be brutal. When we’re on the other side, the country will need to heal. Baseball has a part to play and in order to do that they need to make preparations. I don’t think it’s out of touch to care about and plan for what happens after the worst is behind us. I don’t expect that anyone is going to be particularly excited about playing games in empty stadiums. But it’s a first step. And it allows the game to be fully ready when medical advances allow the crowds to return. And that goes for the minor leagues too. On the other side of the surge the country will desperately need to get back to work. And that includes professional baseball. And eventually all the jobs it supports. And we’ll need the diversion. It’s a lousy plan, but I think better than the alternative, which is no plan. Just waiting, hoping, and losing time. I’m not surprised that people disagree. Particularly at this point in time. 

2 hours ago, joelala said:

The non-monetary value of increased national morale is not to be undervalued, my friend. 

I would just like to go to the store without worrying that everyone there is a potential person who will kill me.  

10 hours ago, atomic said:

I would just like to go to the store without worrying that everyone there is a potential person who will kill me.  

Yes of course. That will be such a relief when it happens. But you wouldn’t have to go anywhere to watch our Orioles on your television. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, atomic said:

I have $700k in life insurance. I wonder if life insurance companies have enough money to pay out all the claims. I am guessing most people with big life insurance policies are under 65 but still they will be paying out a lot of claims. 

Almost 3 million people a year die in the United States.    How many deaths are they projecting from coronavirus?

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Almost 3 million people a year die in the United States.    How many deaths are they projecting from coronavirus?

Depends on data input and containment measures. University of Washington is projecting around 82,000 depending on if we contain it.Dr.Fauci said could be as much as 100,000 to 200.000. The numbers are usually low balled as you see weird variances of death rates with the 1918,1958,1968 and 2009 pandemics.They put down other causes 

But the health insurance costs they say could go up by 50%. You have hundreds of thousands or even millions in the hospitals with long stays and10% or more in ICU's on ventilators that is very expensive and health insurance payments will not come close to covering the costs.

" I would say between 100,000 and 200,000 cases,” he said, correcting himself to say he meant deaths. “We’re going to have millions of cases.” But he added “I don’t want to be held to that” because the pandemic is “such a moving target.

3 minutes ago, OsEatAlEast said:

Hopefully they can come up with something that drastically mitigates the symptoms fairly soon. With all the eyeballs looking at this one problem. I have to think that even without a cure, the death rate will probably go down by quite a bit.

Yes,two Hopkins people I know are brilliant. Unfortunately the next four weeks or more will be ugly.One treatment that works out of the six or so they are trying would be great.But still will take time to get the treatment (if it works) out to the country and the world. Maybe also abates in warm weather. Data is data,the virus is a virus.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

They are based on actuary tables. If you get life insurance they check your bloodwork, blood pressure, weight and height, check driving records and you have fill out your life medical history. You have to provide access to all medical records.  Say I have had less than 1 percent chance of dying in my 50 to 70 years if this coronavirus changes it to 4 or 5 percent that is a big difference when you are talking about the values of these policies. Also a lot of people let their long term policies lapse during each year. People are probably more likely to keep them intact. 

A typical person under 30 is most likely not going to have a big policy.  Those are the people most likely to die from a car accident or violence or drug overdose. 

The rates are or whether you can get insured are all based on how likely you are to die in that term. I am not sure what your point actually is though about the number of deaths each year.  We are talking about unexpected deaths for policy holders.

Insurance companies also make money off the float. They invest your premiums in stocks and bonds. Both of those are taking a hit.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

They are based on actuary tables. If you get life insurance they check your bloodwork, blood pressure, weight and height, check driving records and you have fill out your life medical history. You have to provide access to all medical records.  Say I have had less than 1 percent chance of dying in my 50 to 70 years if this coronavirus changes it to 4 or 5 percent that is a big difference when you are talking about the values of these policies. Also a lot of people let their long term policies lapse during each year. People are probably more likely to keep them intact. 

A typical person under 30 is most likely not going to have a big policy.  Those are the people most likely to die from a car accident or violence or drug overdose. 

The rates are or whether you can get insured are all based on how likely you are to die in that term. I am not sure what your point actually is though about the number of deaths each year.  We are talking about unexpected deaths for policy holders.

Insurance companies also make money off the float. They invest your premiums in stocks and bonds. Both of those are taking a hit.

I agree with everything you’re saying.   But I doubt the life insurance companies take the kind of hit on COVID-19 that threatens them with insolvency.    For one thing, my guess is that the kind of people who buy life insurance are more careful than most.   

• Upvote 1

Maryland man held in prison without bail for violating large gathering by having a Bonfire with 60 people in attendance.  Second one in two weeks.  Was involved in a murder robbery which he plead and testified against the shooter in 2004.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/coronavirus/bs-md-charles-county-coronavirus-arrest-20200329-obqjjggnujad3gzhfpjbjrydtm-story.html