This is not baseball. An opinion.

now

48 minutes ago, SteveA said:

They cancelled all events that are run or sponsored by the city of Baltimore (Artscape, fireworks, etc).   So that does not specifically apply to Oriole or Raven games, although it could be an indicator of the city government's opinion on events in the next 3 months.

The Orioles' have a lease with the state of Maryland / Stadium Authority, not the city.   Of course the city plays a role in Oriole games (city cops getting OT to work the stadium area on game days, etc).

So yeah, it could have an effect, but there's not necessarily a direct connection between the events the city is cancelling and Oriole games.

I dont think anybody will have fireworks this year.

Chincoteague  has canceled Pony Penning week and their month long carnival fund raiser.

I cant image how the playgrounds could open up. Who is going to come through and clean the equipment so the kids are safe.

I dont buy into the theory that heat and sunlight kills the germs.

I do buy into the UV-C at a high level of intensity does kill the gems, they are sterilizing operation rooms with these now.

I think Hogan is all in favor of trying to open up the state, as long as it can be done as safe as possible.

On 5/19/2020 at 9:32 AM, survivedc said:

I don’t get this. Do you enjoy baseball because of players spitting and high fiving and cutaway shots to guys chatting in the dugout? I mean sure, that is an aspect that enhances it, but I like watching balls get swung on and missed and double plays and a guy evading a tag with a crafty slide at the plate. That is baseball and that will still exist and I can’t wait for it. And then next year I’ll rejoice when somebody puts a bubble on someone’s cap in the dugout.

Baseball is facts. That’s where the stats come in.

baseball is also many other things. Some of them are meaningful to me and some aren’t. I couldn’t care less about high fives or spitting or what-have-you,though you seem to, or you wouldn’t have mentioned them because I certainly didn’t. but my comment is unassailable. Change anything enough and it moves too far away from what you imagine or value to remain what it claims to be.

You and I have different parameters and that’s why you don’t understand my point. And that’s ok. 

I applaud a few of the changes we’ve seen over the years, and cringe at others. There’s no point listing them, but they haven’t ruined the game in my eyes.

It remains to be seen how I will react to whatever monster Manfred assembles, I won’t know till it’s stumbling around a bit.

But remove it far enough, and it stops being baseball regardless of what one calls it. That’s true for everyone, but everyone has different points of departure.

2 hours ago, Philip said:

Baseball is facts. That’s where the stats come in.

baseball is also many other things. Some of them are meaningful to me and some aren’t. I couldn’t care less about high fives or spitting or what-have-you,though you seem to, or you wouldn’t have mentioned them because I certainly didn’t. but my comment is unassailable. Change anything enough and it moves too far away from what you imagine or value to remain what it claims to be.

You and I have different parameters and that’s why you don’t understand my point. And that’s ok. 

I applaud a few of the changes we’ve seen over the years, and cringe at others. There’s no point listing them, but they haven’t ruined the game in my eyes.

It remains to be seen how I will react to whatever monster Manfred assembles, I won’t know till it’s stumbling around a bit.

But remove it far enough, and it stops being baseball regardless of what one calls it. That’s true for everyone, but everyone has different points of departure.

Plenty of what is great doesn’t get mentioned in stats- beating a tag or a lunge for a catch or a strikeout with their best hitter at the plate. The actual game isn’t being changed, outside of roster size/usage and minor league play, but that has consistently changed throughout the history of the sport. If you don’t care about the high fives and “what-have-you’s,” what is it you care about?

It’s a cop out to say I just don’t understand because we look at it differently. I challenged your POV and you come back with “you just don’t get it.” You’re explaining your point by hypotheticals and various vagueries. What is it about this proposal that makes it “not baseball?”

2 hours ago, survivedc said:

What is it about this proposal that makes it “not baseball?”

With the proposed model I will miss the team dimension of players together in the dugout and fans together in the stands, enjoying the game... together.

The talk about televising games with canned crowd noise? Gets into the territory of the sims again. Creepy, when it's overlaid on the real thing. You might say, well, television itself is an abstraction from being live at the game--which is true. But every abstraction tends toward virtual instead of real baseball. A sign of the times, when some lust after transcending the human altogether and living forever in some abstracted form of cyberspace. Off topic? maybe... but the topic has come to us.

20 hours ago, atomic said:

Most people do the wave when the stands are crowded.  Hard to get a wave going with a 1000 fans in the stands.  If you don't like the wave watch from home and save yourself $12 beer and a cost of a ticket.  Really such angst because of people having fun at a game.  The wave is part of what makes the game fun.  Like I said before baseball without fans is boring.  

I've been to many games at Fenway and can't recall a wave, ever.

6 minutes ago, CarrRun49 said:

I've been to many games at Fenway and can't recall a wave, ever.

Quick search in YouTube says... They do it just as much as everyone else.

Not that I'm an advocate for the wave myself, but I remember being a child at a sold out Camden Yards and absolutely LOVING the wave. I was 100% into the game and capable of having fun with the wave at the same time.

Now I'm a grumpy adult with sad life experience who stays arms-folded when the wave comes around

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Quick search in YouTube says... They do it just as much as everyone else.

Now I'm a grumpy adult with sad life experience who stays arms-folded when the wave comes around

-I just did the same youtube search. There are a total of 11 videos from 4-11 years old.

-Same

1 minute ago, CarrRun49 said:

-I just did the same youtube search. There are a total of 11 videos from 4-11 years old.

-Same

There's at least two videos uploaded within the past year that come up in the first 10 results and well over 30videos total when I search "wave at Fenway Park".

Maybe your Google machine is broken?

17 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

The wave and rally caps are a part of baseball. :) :) :)

Im with you, soo much money, there has to be a fair way to compromise.

They have a spineless whimp as commish, voted in by the owners, as they can control him, like a puppet.

You were told "NO POLITICS!"

:disco:

36 minutes ago, MongoBoy said:

That's cause most were at the Cask 'n Flagon before the game and could barely make it to their seats before the 3rd inning.

Other cool spots in Boston.  Wife and myself stopped in Game On prior to the game. Place has plexiglass allowing you to watch BP in the tunnel.

20161103121044_IMG_5083_pe-820x466.jpg