Orioles make an offer to Yasiel Puig. UPDATE: Puig to sign with Braves Tests POSITIVE for COVID 19

MurphDogg

2 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I think this is more their thought process. With Santander out, they don't feel like they have good outfield depth.

Someone's gotta play RF on opening day. 

Unless they have reason to believe Santander is out for the season, spending several million on a guy "because they have no Opening Day rightfielder" in a year we aren't going to contend seems to go against everything Elias has done so far.

And anything we could turn around and get for him would be negligible, IMO.  Any team that wants him could sign him for X dollars now for the 60 game season.  Why wouldn't they just do that rather than wait and trade prospects to pay him X/2 for 30 games before the deadline.

And signing him for more than one year with Diaz and Mountcastle on the horizon makes little sense too.

I just dont get this at all.  Obviously I have to wait to see IF we sign him and what the deal is before passing judgement, but I have a hard time seeing how Puig to the Orioles makes any type of sense 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, gtown said:

No. All prospects, even first round picks are gambles. But this isn't even like a draft pick. It's not rotisserie baseball. A rebuilding team should be looking at all avenues to add prospects.

You have a hypothetical $1.7 M. You have a chance to gamble on the potential of a prospect. How else could you use that money to get a prospect? Again, the draft and pool money are capped. So you could take the risk as a low payroll team. It might work out, it might not. If you don't spend the money you get nothing. 

I like the risk. 

First thing I'd do is spend my full draft allotment.  Then I'd spend my full international allotment.  I think the ROI for both of those is higher than it is for this sort of thing.

I already said that I would rather take on a bad contract for a return today than sign a guy and try and trade him at a later date.

If you can't do better than spending 1.7M for a 300K return you should sit on the money.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

First thing I'd do is spend my full draft allotment.  Then I'd spend my full international allotment.  I think the ROI for both of those is higher than it is for this sort of thing.

I already said that I would rather take on a bad contract for a return today than sign a guy and try and trade him at a later date.

If you can't do better than spending 1.7M for a 300K return you should sit on the money.

That only makes sense if the reason they don't spend the full allotments is that the team can't afford it. Come on, that's not the case. If it is the franchise is in WAY more trouble that any of of think.

If you think that not signing Yasiel Puig is going to be the breaking point that allows the Baltimore Orioles to spend their full allotments, than I'm not even sure what to say anymore.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it is likely that you won't get a good return on your money if you do trade him.

How good a prospect do you need to get to break even on what you pay Puig?

How about an 18 y.o. in A- putting up a 3.94 ERA with a 1.194 WHIP and 10.6 K/9 with no homers allowed in 30 Innings pitched?

6 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

I just said "something of value." I am not suggesting any team would "overpay."

I'm not sure some something of value wouldn't be an overpay for a Puig rental given the probable market.

I think organizational filler is the more likely return.

3 minutes ago, gtown said:

That only makes sense if the reason they don't spend the full allotments is that the team can't afford it. Come on, that's not the case. If it is the franchise is in WAY more trouble that any of of think.

If you think that not signing Yasiel Puig is going to be the breaking point that allows the Baltimore Orioles to spend their full allotments, than I'm not even sure what to say anymore.

What I am saying is that if you have 1.7M to burn I'd spend it there first.  I'd rather overpay for a 16 year old Dominican player than sign Puig in the hopes of flipping him.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not sure some something of value wouldn't be an overpay for a Puig rental given the probable market.

I think organizational filler is the more likely return.

I agree that there is little-to-no value in "organizational filler." 

But, with regards to this particular season, I don't see how anyone could predict what the "probable market" might be. Nobody even knows if they'll finish the season, no less what the market might be when/if trading with teams in the hunt.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

I agree that there is little-to-no value in "organizational filler." 

But, with regards to this particular season, I don't see how anyone could predict what the "probable market" might be. Nobody even knows if they'll finish the season, no less what the market might be when/if trading with teams in the hunt.

If no one can predict the "probable market" then it probably isn't a good idea to spend money based on getting "something of value" from that market.

Sounds like a poor risk.

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Have you seen McKenna at the plate since he left Frederick? He is a long shot to be a contributor at the major league level. I wouldn't take Stewart or Mullins into consideration when making moves either.

I forgot about Diaz, so add him to the pile. I personally think Stewart is a mess and will never contribute, but he needs his opportunity. MC needs to find his place, so he should be here too. I don’t know how good McKenna is, but he’s Mid-teens on our prospect list at least. Not as close as I thought, but might earn a look in September? Anyway, the point stands.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

It doesn't make sense for the O's to sign him and not try to trade him for prospects.  That would be a waste of 3-3.5m dollars.   If the report has any validity, Elias is thinks of something.

Why do you think they are offering him that much and when would it be a waste?