MASN broadcast overhaul - Palmer, Thorne, others out

MurphDogg

14 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Right, but he hasn't done baseball in such a long time and it was going to be his first year back in the fold, so I kind of understand what he would risk it while 72 year-old Thorne and 74 year-old Palmer sat out.

Just like how several players that are upcoming free agents said that they felt they had a pretty easy decision about not sitting out this season.

Yeah this is an intensely personal decision for everyone. For all we know (and we likely never would) maybe he and his wife had it already. Or maybe he just loves working and it’s worth the risk to him. Who knows. 

Ugh, more Bordick.  That sucks.  I understand why Palmer, Thorne and Dempsey are sitting it out.Covid concerns and travel with I believe all of them living in California.  The radio team is a lost cause.  Browne is like a robot. Just the play by play, nothing more.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Hopefully just for this year and they are just being cautious because of their age, but losing Palmer and Thorne is a major bummer.

Gary is the only person I can stand to listen to. Bordick has an awful voice and has yet to say anything meaningful in the years I’ve listened to him. Brown has a voice like Stephen Hawking.

what terrible news.

57 minutes ago, drdelaware said:

Ugh, more Bordick.  That sucks.  I understand why Palmer, Thorne and Dempsey are sitting it out.Covid concerns and travel with I believe all of them living in California.  The radio team is a lost cause.  Browne is like a robot. Just the play by play, nothing more.

You're not excited to hear 'two game hitting streak' this season from Mr. Sunshine? 

1538714193_mike-bordick.jpg

Add to it that he looks like Steve Carrell's effeminate brother...

I'm sure he's a nice guy but he's a lump of fluff. I don't know why MLB just doesn't let fans announce this year's games. Stream them on twitch or something and let's just make this as fun as possible. I really am tired of paying to hear these lifeless personalities dictate the action when I know fellas at home could do it better.

Oh well. Maybe Joe Angel will be bored and return to save us all.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Jim Palmer has also had health issues recently and that is likely playing a factor. 

i also believe Jim has a step-son with health issues which also maybe a factor.  I can do without Rick Dempsey.  I know Tom Davis always stated he never wanted to quit.  I have been looking for the Wall to Wall baseball show to come back but it hasn't.  I suspect Davis isn't happy not to be working but I am not sure.

2 hours ago, Explosivo said:

Add to it that he looks like Steve Carrell's effeminate brother...

I'm sure he's a nice guy but he's a lump of fluff. I don't know why MLB just doesn't let fans announce this year's games. Stream them on twitch or something and let's just make this as fun as possible. I really am tired of paying to hear these lifeless personalities dictate the action when I know fellas at home could do it better.

Oh well. Maybe Joe Angel will be bored and return to save us all.

You KNOW fellas at home could do it better? Doubt that’ll work out as well as you’re suggesting. It’s a lot harder than just talking. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SteveA said:

Connelly has an article in the Athletic detailing all the changes:

-- All game broadcasts (home and away) for both radio and TV will be from the Camden Yards radio and TV booths.   (Wow, I can see doing TV remotely by watching a monitor, but radio play by play will be challenging).

Mere child's play...

Eighty plus years ago, Ronald Reagan (yes that Ronald Reagan) needed only an AP wire and a vivid imagination for convincing radio play-by-play.

Reagan’s hero was Franklin Roosevelt, who used 1930s radio to combat fear. Reagan soon carried the Chicago Cubs and Big Ten football over giant WHO Des Moines.

WHO was the sole local outlet doing the Cubs to recreate, not air them live. Dutch got code from Chicago’s Wrigley Field in studio—”B2C” meant ball two, called; “S1S,” strike one, swinging—then fictively recreated a game he never saw. Once the wire broke. Reagan “knew that if we switched to transcribed music,” he said, “the listener would turn to a station doing the game live.” Instantly, he recalled the one thing not to make the paper—foul balls. A batter can hit a million fouls and still have two strikes.

According to Reagan, the batter fouled to the left, right, behind the plate, and outside the park—everywhere. A tornado neared. A fight occurred. None of it happened, but at home it seemed real. Finally, the wire revived, Dutch laughing as he read, “Batter popped out on first ball pitched.” Years later Reagan said, “Making things up, mixing fact and fiction. [Pause] What great preparation for politics!”

Courtesy of Sports Broadcast Journal.   https://www.sportsbroadcastjournal.com/ronald-reagan-the-great-communicator-advanced-from-the-broadcast-booth-to-the-oval-office/

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

No Palmer and Thorne is another reason not to watch this summer.  I mean, I still will but it's gonna suck on a lot of levels.

The reasons to watch this lousy team play a partial schedule in empty ballparks are disappearing.  There's always the chance to learn something about cooking or music or beer on the game threads.