Social justice patches

HowAboutThat

It seems that major league players are going to be allowed to make political statements on their jerseys.

In the NBA, It is forbidden to speak about The problems in Hong Kong, which I find beyond words.

I wish we could leave politics outside of sports, I don’t need to know how my favorite player votes. However, I certainly hope that major-league players aren’t forbidden to say “free Hong Kong”

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Philip said:

It seems that major league players are going to be allowed to make political statements on their jerseys.

In the NBA, It is forbidden to speak about The problems in Hong Kong, which I find beyond words.

I wish we could leave politics outside of sports, I don’t need to know how my favorite player votes. However, I certainly hope that major-league players aren’t forbidden to say “free Hong Kong”

Do you have a source for the claim that NBA players are forbidden from speaking on Hong Kong? I don't believe that's the case. NBA commissioner Adam Silver spoke up in defense of an NBA executive's right to speak up for the rights of Hong Kong. In my opinion, Adam Silver is far and away a better commissioner than Manfred.

Regardless of that... I don't have any problem with allowing the players to express themselves in this way, if they so choose. It's not going to have any impact on the game whatsoever, so I don't see any reason to fuss or be triggered about it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Do you have a source for the claim that NBA players are forbidden from speaking on Hong Kong? I don't believe that's the case. NBA commissioner Adam Silver spoke up in defense of an NBA executive's right to speak up for the rights of Hong Kong. In my opinion, Adam Silver is far and away a better commissioner than Manfred.

Regardless of that... I don't have any problem with allowing the players to express themselves in this way, if they so choose. It's not going to have any impact on the game whatsoever, so I don't see any reason to fuss or be triggered about it.

Oh I think children as yet unborn are better than Manfred.

I don’t remember the details, but there was a backlash when an NBA player tweeted free Hong Kong, and he got in trouble and had to retract himself.

As I understand things now, NBA players are not allowed to speak out about Hong Kong, however the question remains as to whether major league baseball players will be allowed to. Personally I think it’s terrible for baseball. We’re here to play baseball, not have political debates. And I strongly believe that if I wanted to say, “I believe in the Second Amendment,“I would get in serious trouble. I hope that’s not true, if they open the door, I hope they allow any political message, without vetting, but something tells me that only approved messages will be allowed

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Philip said:

We’re here to play baseball, not have political debates. And I strongly believe that if I wanted to say, “I believe in the Second Amendment,“I would get in serious trouble. I hope that’s not true, if they open the door, I hope they allow any political message, without vetting, but something tells me that only approved messages will be allowed

They play the National Anthem before every game and a patriotic song during the 7th inning stretch. There are flyovers and salutes to hometown heroes. Politics is already in baseball.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Philip said:

I think this is an interesting subject. I know the Orioles Hangout does not discuss politics. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Philip said:

Oh I think children as yet unborn are better than Manfred.

I don’t remember the details, but there was a backlash when an NBA player tweeted free Hong Kong, and he got in trouble and had to retract himself.

As I understand things now, NBA players are not allowed to speak out about Hong Kong, however the question remains as to whether major league baseball players will be allowed to. Personally I think it’s terrible for baseball. We’re here to play baseball, not have political debates. And I strongly believe that if I wanted to say, “I believe in the Second Amendment,“I would get in serious trouble. I hope that’s not true, if they open the door, I hope they allow any political message, without vetting, but something tells me that only approved messages will be allowed

49 minutes ago, Philip said:

I think you've misunderstood the NBA/Hong Kong issue entirely (I'm very familiar with the details)... 

NBA players can say whatever they want about Hong Kong or any other social issue. The incident you're referring to was that when a GM tweeted support for Hong Kong, and the Chinese government freaked. The tweet was taken down, but there were no apologies made. NBA players criticized the GM, because it was hurting their bottom line... but the commissioner was asked point-blank by Chinese officials to remove the GM, and he told them to pound sand.  The league commissioner has affirmed that. The linked story is not about players. That's about fan merchandise from the team store, and it has since been rectified (you can now order a custom "Free Hong Kong" NBA jersey, if that's how you wish to spend $250). 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

I think you've misunderstood the NBA/Hong Kong issue entirely (I'm very familiar with the details)... 

NBA players can say whatever they want about Hong Kong or any other social issue. The incident you're referring to was that when a GM tweeted support for Hong Kong, and the Chinese government freaked. The tweet was taken down, but there were no apologies made. NBA players criticized the GM, because it was hurting their bottom line... but the commissioner was asked point-blank by Chinese officials to remove the GM, and he told them to pound sand.  The league commissioner has affirmed that. The linked story is not about players. That's about fan merchandise from the team store, and it has since been rectified (you can now order a custom "Free Hong Kong" NBA jersey, if that's how you wish to spend $250). 

It's remarkable what isn't commented on.

2 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

They play the National Anthem before every game and a patriotic song during the 7th inning stretch. There are flyovers and salutes to hometown heroes. Politics is already in baseball.

Are you suggesting that you think that the national anthem is political? Singing the national anthem is some kind of political position?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, weams said:

What this is saying, is, “if you are interested in expressing an opinion which we have already vetted and approved, you may express it in one of these ways. If you are interested in expressing a different opinion, you may not. MLB fully supports the right of the players to express themselves, So long as MLB has already determined that the expression is acceptable.”

Notice the only acceptable subjects are “social justice” and “diversity and inclusion.”

18 minutes ago, Philip said:

Are you suggesting that you think that the national anthem is political? Singing the national anthem is some kind of political position?

Yes. It may not be a partisan position, because I know of no politicians that oppose it, but playing the national anthem is inarguably a political act. Reciting the pledge of allegiance before school starts is a political act. Playing "God Bless America" and having U.S. war planes fly over are overtly political acts. They may not be partisan, but they are certainly political.

That's why people want to kneel during the National Anthem, because they see standing at attention as a tacit endorsement of certain actions that our government is or isn't taking. If the national anthem wasn't played, there would be no kneeling.

Hopefully this explanation of what is political doesn't stray too far into "talking politics", but not understanding that the playing of the national anthem is political means you fundamentally aren't equipped for the discussion as to whether players should or shouldn't be kneeling, or allowed to kneel. If it wasn't political, nobody would care whether anyone kneeled!

Talking about supporting or not supporting of kneeling is a topic that is (rightly in my opinion) not sanctioned on this board, but it is vital that you understand that baseball is not and has never been apolitical.

Baseball referring to itself as the "National Pastime" is political.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

All right, let’s go back to my question, are NBA players allowed to put “free Hong Kong” or discuss the human rights abuses in aging Kong( or the mainland for that matter) in an NBA forum?

Is the NBA still getting CCP money? Why did the official have to remove the tweet? I think he was also forced to “recant?”

I just read an article about his statement after his tweet, and it was nothing but sucking up to the Chinese, and the NBA response was no less sniveling. It’s shameful. It’s pretty easy to understand very clearly what is happening in Hong Kong it’s not “a complicated situation” at all. It is oppression.

Why can’t the NBA players put “free Hong Kong” on their jerseys?

Because that’s not an approved message.

11 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Yes. It may not be a partisan position, because I know of no politicians that oppose it, but playing the national anthem is inarguably a political act. Reciting the pledge of allegiance before school starts is a political act. Playing "God Bless America" and having U.S. war planes fly over are overtly political acts. They may not be partisan, but they are certainly political.

Well, to an extent, I accept that, but it’s moot. If it’s politically neutral, then it’s OK, just like flying your flag is politically neutral. It is only political in the sense that it’s reminding us of where we are and who we are.

But politics is an arena of discussion and debate. Singing the national anthem is not political. It’s patriotic, and sometimes it feels very forced to me, and the recent tradition of some military serviceman singing God bless America during the seventh inning stretch just smacks of propaganda and advertising, but no it’s not really political.

The national anthem has become political, because of what some people have done with it. The flap about kneeling or not is just silly, I don’t care whether some one kneels or not. I would be quite happy to eliminate the anthem completely. Daily patriotism soon pales and becomes meaningless.

But Even though I do see your point, I think, overall, I disagree. 

• Upvote 1