Big announcement on the future of Orioles Hangout

Tony-OH

2 minutes ago, weams said:

May I go to sleep?  I would prefer if we go back to no politics until Tony tells you his call. 

How can you go to sleep during this 1-1 duel between the Giants and Dodgers!? Dustin May looks great! Cueto is back from the dead! Lil Yaz is knocking the snot outta the ball! Pablo Sandoval is hitting 3RD!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Of all the things to be upset about, you're upset that MLB is trying to stand for civil rights. They're doing it by using a movement you have qualms about, I get it, but then their crime is naivety. I disagree, but I understand what you mean. I just don't think they are meaning to be quite as political about it as people think.

I don’t like when Pearl Jam tells me I’m an ahole for voting against Hillary Clinton, either. How about shut up and play Jeremy?!!! I didn’t pay $100 for tickets to listen to your punditry.

Peace and blessings my friends! We are all O’s fans. At least we’ve got that in common. ??

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

How can you go to sleep during this 1-1 duel between the Giants and Dodgers!? Dustin May looks great! Cueto is back from the dead! Lil Yaz is knocking the snot outta the ball! Pablo Sandoval is hitting 3RD!

I knew they should have kept lil Yaz. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

If that's how you choose to view the whole thing, then fine. Do more research into the countless others who have protested in this way and you will find it's overwhelmingly about awareness.

It’s not “how I choose to view it.” It’s how it happened. I’m not saying the whole thing is tainted because of it, but that is the origin story of it. To say it wasn’t about disrespect when there were clear acts of disrespect shown is asinine.

Yes, it was worked out well for the (recent) majority who joined in. But the entire clown show that started it did nothing to help. 

10 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

It’s not “how I choose to view it.” It’s how it happened. I’m not saying the whole thing is tainted because of it, but that is the origin story of it. To say it wasn’t about disrespect when there were clear acts of disrespect shown is asinine.

Yes, it was worked out well for the (recent) majority who joined in. But the entire clown show that started it did nothing to help. 

No protest movement is perfect. They can be ugly and disagreeable at times, often born from anger and injustice. But in the end it's about impact and change and causing discussions like this. Do I personally think kneeling is doing much? Mmm nah not really, but I don't think people kneeling means they hate America. Far from it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

Exactly. 

Just another white dude thinking he understands BLM better than the people actually suffering from the systemic racism. Please do explain how you're an expert on black lives and what the movement means Tony. I've seen enough unprovoked police brutality in the last 4 months to make me physically sick. I also have to laugh at people continuing to believe in some ANTIFA bogeyman that Fox news continues to push. Please. We lead the world in school shootings and COVID cases but god forbid we have a couple people throw a brick through a window. 

Wanting to rid the site of politics is in itself political, obviously. It's also just impossible unless you wanna bring out the ban hammer en masse. It's a historic time in our country so the best course is to let things breathe here. We were talking baseball just fine.

Whatever. Do whatever you have to do to. There's certainly more to worry about than the fate of this website. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

#BLM

BLM
https://blacklivesmatter.com/what-we-believe/

The Fox News argument is so 2000.  Now we have real videos from real people - what I don't get is that most of the riots are white kids. That is a fact!

Historic time? nah.. it actually happens every few decades or so... the difference this time is that there are people with cameras who can video what is really happening.  

Black lives DO matter!  What about Black Babies? The best thing that has come from this is that Planned Parenthood is decision to remove Margaret Sanger's name from one of its clinics - she was a blatant racist and wanted to carry out the eugenicist's racist mission. 

Once the white kids decide to go back home they will change nothing... like they have not done for over 50 years.  White privilege is pretending to care, burn some stuff down, scream, act tough then go on to the next video game.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Mr. Chewbacca Jr. said:

I really like the Hangout. Been a longtime reader, recent poster. It's easily the most knowledgeable community of Orioles fans. Tony, you deserve props for building it.

I'm just going to be honest right now, because I think it's important to be transparent - but Tony, you're one of the most political posters on here. There's a no politics rule, but you're one of the first people to get into it. You've frequently called things misinformation or shut down threads just because you don't agree with it. I keep hearing about this no-politics rule, but it always makes me chuckle because it's really not led by example at all. Take this thread, for instance. 

It's pretty naive to expect politics to never enter sports discussion. From Jackie Robinson to Mohammad Ali, there's always been athletes using their platform to advance social change. So, I don't think we can hide from any political discussion like it's the boogeyman. We're all adults here. It's okay to disagree with each other.

But, it's Opening Night - and we finally have baseball to talk about. Instead, we're talking about this. 

I hope this isn't the end of the Hangout. But, if this sorta thread continues to become the norm, then it really isn't the Hangout anymore. Tony, I'm actually pretty good friends with your daughter and know you're a good dude. I completely disagree with your politics, but that doesn't stop me from respecting you as a person and being absolutely interested in your baseball insight.

Baseball is baseball. It's basically the same game since 1890 or whatever. But, the world has changed dramatically since then. In another 100 years, baseball will still be baseball. And the world will be dramatically different again. Baseball is a constant refuge in a sea of change. That's why many of us love it so much and why we've come together as a community. Let's focus on that and leave the rest for the ballot box.

Eh, it’s not the same game.  They put a runner on 2B in extra innings.  Not sure if it’s a Soros rule or part of the Boogaloo movement, but something is rotten in Denmark.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Snutchy said:

I am a supervisor at a 911 center and a paid part-time and volunteer firefighter/EMT.

I understand the feelings that Tony has regarding his son. I work very closely with law enforcement and they have saved my ass more times than I care to recollect. What I can't relate to is being a person of color.

A few months ago I was hurt on an EMS call when I was attempting to transfer a very large COVID positive patient to our stretcher. I may never be able to perform in that capacity ever again. 17 years on the job and now I cant feel most of my right foot because of a spinal injury.

I'm an active person, so I've been driving for Uber while I'm going through physical therapy. It was that or drive my wife crazy being home so much. In the short time I've been driving, I have met so many people from so many different walks of life. Sure, I met the same people that I met through the fire service, but that was under very different circumstances. This is real conversation from people who aren't in distress. The main thing that I've learned is that every single one of us want the same thing. 

If Tony decides to shut down, I will miss Moose's mom most of all.

Be safe. Take care of yourselves and your neighbors.

Nice Post.  At times I regret that I didn’t choose a profession that has the impact that you’ve had.  You’re a good dude.

I agree that when you work or interact with people different than you, you realize that you have more in common than not. 

• Upvote 2