Severino = terrible D

calebelias

10 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

You chose to hijack a thread about Severino in an attempt to lash out at other posters who were "whining" when they correctly stated that Sisco is poor on defense. Indefensible, aggressive attack against people telling the truth. Insulting others just because they don't support your agenda is not a good look. My point was clear to all who read it objectively. 

Severino's poor defensive stats from last season are well documented in this forum. Look it up. Your claim is unsubstantiated.

Although I Completely agree with you, the difference between the two players is that Severino is a bad catcher but he is a real catcher. He knows how to catch. He can also hit a little bit. Sisco Is in no way a catcher. His defense is literally laughable. And at the moment, although he is very good these days at drawing a walk, he doesn’t hit very well. So unless you’re going to play Holaday, Severino Is the obvious choice even though he’s terrible.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

What we have seen with some posters talking about Sisco's defense, has to me, go well beyond saying he is "poor on defense".  I agree that he's a poor defensive catcher.  But to say he isn't a major league catcher is simply false, he's in the majors and his position is catcher.

So yea, if someone continually makes exaggerated claims about his defensive inadequacy I'm going to call it whining. 

You move the goalposts when you change from posters "whining about Sisco's defense" to "(Sisco) isn't a major league catcher." Nobody made "exaggerated claims" in this thread about Sisco's defense. Nobody was talking about Sisco before you; your drive-by insult of others on this board was impertinent and uncalled for. There was nobody in this thread for you to "call out. "It's pointless to carry over every grudge from previous threads. And exhausting...

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

Although I Completely agree with you, the difference between the two players is that Severino is a bad catcher but he is a real catcher. He knows how to catch. He can also hit a little bit. Sisco Is in no way a catcher. His defense is literally laughable. And at the moment, although he is very good these days at drawing a walk, he doesn’t hit very well. So unless you’re going to play Holaday, Severino Is the obvious choice even though he’s terrible.

Like I said, a false statement.  Sisco is a catcher, a ML catcher.  He isn't Lenn Sakata back there.  He isn't the worse defensive player ever to put on a mask. 

Just now, Beef Supreme said:

You move the goalposts when you change from posters "whining about Sisco's defense" to "(Sisco) isn't a major league catcher." Nobody made "exaggerated claims" in this thread about Sisco's defense. Nobody was talking about Sisco before you; your drive-by insult of others on this board was impertinent and uncalled for. There was nobody in this thread for you to "call out. "It's pointless to carry over every grudge from previous threads. And exhausting...

Since I agree that Sisco is a poor defensive catcher it goes to reason if I were talking about posters making egregious claims (whining) that those posters were going past simply acknowledging his play as poor.  No goalposts were moved.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Like I said, a false statement.  Sisco is a catcher, a ML catcher.  He isn't Lenn Sakata back there.  He isn't the worse defensive player ever to put on a mask. 

It's pointless to argue with Mr. Hyperbole about Sisco.

His pop times are terrible. Fortunately this is probably the best time in baseball history to be bad at stopping stolen bases. Last year teams tried to steal on him once every 15 2/3 innings or so. The AL overall tried to steal once every 13 2/3 innings, so teams didn't run crazy on him. Last year his SB% was 10% worse than average. So if he was average that would mean like one extra out every 15 games?

Passed balls? He's had 3 in 840 career innings. Last year the AL had 180 in 21690 innings, or almost 7 per 840 innings. 

Are wild pitches relevant? Maybe a good catcher can prevent some. Sisco's pitchers had one every 19.7 innings. O's pitchers with other catchers had one every 19.0 innings. Shrug.

I have no idea how to judge framing. Baseball savant had him ranked 52 of 64 qualifiers last year, better than Wieters and basically tied with Severino. The year before he was ranked 32, better than Severino and Wynns. Pretty bad, but better than "not a catcher." 

Yeah, he made a stupid play that one time that cost us a game. So what, not the first time that's ever happened. His defense is below average but not "laughable," it's playable if he can hit. Same with Severino. Same with most people. Hopefully they both prove they can be major leaguers and we can trade one for value and keep the other as a backup (or trade both and keep somebody else).

• Upvote 4

As the original poster, and having followed this thread closely, I agree with Jammer7. For all the energy he seems to show, Severino is lazy. The difference defensively between him and Sisco is minimal, regardless of what many on here believe. Neither is near average ML level. Let Sisco play and see if the bat grows.

• Upvote 1

Sisco is two years younger than Severino, is left handed, and hit well in the minors.  Neither is Johnny Bench, but I have a feeling I know what Severino is at this point and I still don't know about Sisco.  I think he could be a good, left-handed hitting backup to Rutschman.  Now's the time to find out.  I'd go with a pretty strict platoon for a while and see how he does.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Good article here on the Severino interference plays.    Good video showing how ridiculously close Severino was to the batter.    
https://blogs.fangraphs.com/pedro-severino-and-the-worst-thing-a-catcher-can-do-to-his-hand/

Read that. I am wondering whether the combination of two tallish sluggers with looping uppercuts standing at the far back of the box coupled with Severino possibly being  a little out of sorts - or out of practice - because of the shortened Summer Training may have worked together that night. That was historically rare, as noted. And, I think the article said he had registered just one prior Interference call to date. I am glad for him his hand wasn't broken.