Weird, bad, incomplete baseball > no baseball

Frobby

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I can’t say I’m thrilled with this season.   It’s weird with nobody in the stands and crowd noise piped in.    The Orioles are still a very bad team with very few players on their major league roster to be excited.    There’s no minor league games to divert some attention from the bad major league team.   And, only playing 60 games (if they’re very lucky and the season doesn’t implode) cuts back on my enjoyment.   

But you know what?    I’ve still managed to watch parts of all five games.     I’m still looking at all the box scores in the morning.    I’m still looking forward to getting on this board and actually having new events to discuss, rather than just rehashing the same stuff (even though there’s still plenty of that, too).

In short, weird, bad, incomplete baseball easily beats no baseball.   

Absolutely.  Now everyone just stay healthy.  

• Upvote 2

Hey, they're 3-3.  .500 probably gets you in the playoffs this year. 

Since I don't think its out of the realm of possibility for the O's to make the playoffs, I'm loving it from the perspective of a coaching/scouting eye and trying to critically think, "how do they manage, utilize, and develop this roster to maximize wins in this strange opportunity of 2020?"  60 games, 16 playoff teams, larger yet leaky rosters; in a shortened season, you can manage pitching and other match ups differently, utilize players in different roles that wouldn't fly in a 162 game season.

I think Elias wants to see if he can compete a little this year without sacrificing the rebuild.  Learning to "win" is a crucial step of developing a young team.  Earning a playoff spot without sacrificing the rebuild would boost the confidence and mental performance of a lot of our young contributors.  I think this was where the Puig interest came from and Elias almost bit, but I'm still glad it fell through.  If we can't find a 3rd outfielder to compliment Hayes and Santander, but we are in contention, do the O's trade for Markakis now that ATL has a crowded OF? I am still a bit intrigued on Diaz as well for an OF spot.

If Davis opts out, do we utilize Mountcastle?  The IF looks good right now with Ruiz, Iglesias, and Hanser.  Nunez or Mountcastle at first is much more productive than Davis.

I think the O's need to look at their bullpen like other teams look at their starters.  Our bullpen is sneaky good, even with losing Bleier (although I would have seen if they wanted Paul Fry first).  It could get better quickly too.  Does Harvey comeback strong?  Tate?  Is Cody Carroll or Evan Phillips a piece? Not bummed about Stewart opting out; wasn't high on him.  Can we drop Hess and start seeing if some of our milb starters could have value as short inning relievers this year?  Akin or Zimmerman as an effective lefty out the pen?  Kremer or Bauman in short stints?

It's like watching a chess game.  I hope we make it through the whole season and the O's can grab an 8th seed.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I'm watching a lot more baseball than I usually do because it could be yanked away any day

Good point.   If they manage to play the full 60, I may watch a lot more of the postseason than I normally do, too.    Usually after 162 and with the Orioles out of it, I’m usually ready to back off watching baseball, but this year I’ll just be getting warmed up!

• Upvote 1

If Terrible baseball were not better than no baseball, no one would’ve watched the Orioles for the last three seasons.

:-)

meanwhile, lets enjoy this fiasco.

in a way, it’s like Deathrace 2000, or something like that. We’re hurrying to watch as much baseball as possible before everything collapses, and we don’t give a dam whether it’s real baseball ( 7 innings? Man in second? Three batter minimum? Whaaa?) we just want to watch those uniforms chasing each other around the diamond!

26 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

For the 3,688th time, I would like to facetiously point out that the Orioles are only 2 games out of 1st place at the beginning of August.

I'm so clever.

o

How do you think the Yankees feel? They kill us and yet we keep coming! they’re only two games ahead!

we’re the baseball undead!

• Upvote 1