Connelly: This time it really feels like the end for Chris Davis as an Oriole

SteveA

8 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

I'd play at Norfolk instead of giving up milions of dollars. I'm not convinced he's a AAA-caliber hitter at this point, but he wouldn't have to feel the guilt of hurting the ML team on the field.

Plus, there's always a chance someone's finger slips and he accidentally gets claimed by another team. 

Chris Davis will die a rich man if he never sees another penny from the O's. I don't think he would play out his contract in that kind of shame. At some point a man's gotta have pride.

Also, I can say with near-absolute certainty that he cannot hit AAA pitching.

8 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

Chris Davis did hobble into the record books, just for different reasons.

Hitless streaks, strikeouts looking, lowest Contact %, lowest WAR, etc. I'm sure some records were set.

This got me curious so I took a look. Found it funny the O's have 2 of the top 3.

Single-Season Leaders & Records for Strikeouts
Rank Player (age that year) Strikeouts
1. Mark Reynolds (25) 223
2. Adam Dunn (32) 222
3. Chris Davis (30)

13 hours ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

I think most assume that he would negotiate a buyout before doing something like that. He's already publicly contemplated retirement... I can't see him going through those motions. Plus, I think I would be even more pissed if he were stealing innings in Bowie and Norfolk. That would be beyond terrible at this stage of the rebuild.

I'm not sure it's impacting the future of the organization if he took some reps from guys like Carlos Perez, Anderson Feliz, Ryan Ripken, Jesmuel Valentin, Preston Palmeiro, etc.  Both the Tides and Baysox always have some random late 20s, early 30s org guy filling out the roster, putting up a .778 OPS in a corner. 

Davis would be the same thing, just OPSing .650. Not that he would accept the assignment...

9 hours ago, OsLuvrInKy said:

This got me curious so I took a look. Found it funny the O's have 2 of the top 3.

Single-Season Leaders & Records for Strikeouts
Rank Player (age that year) Strikeouts
1. Mark Reynolds (25) 223
2. Adam Dunn (32) 222
3. Chris Davis (30)

Reynolds was on the D'backs when he set the current all time record.

Going into 1990 the O's all time record for Ks was 125 by Boog in '66.  Boog is now in 25th place.  All but Tettleton ('90) have happened since 2011.

Davis holds the O's career mark, too.  He's 245 ahead of Cal in about 8000 fewer PAs.  To break into the top 25 on the O's leaderboard you only need about 3-4 league-average seasons by 2020 standards.  Trey Mancini is 31st, only 13 behind Frank.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Reynolds was on the D'backs when he set the current all time record.

Going into 1990 the O's all time record for Ks was 125 by Boog in '66.  Boog is now in 25th place.  All but Tettleton ('90) have happened since 2011.

Davis holds the O's career mark, too.  He's 245 ahead of Cal in about 8000 fewer PAs.  To break into the top 25 on the O's leaderboard you only need about 3-4 league-average seasons by 2020 standards.  Trey Mancini is 31st, only 13 behind Frank.

This is why I am here - we don't need snopes to fact-check our content!  ⚾

Edit:  Or do we?  Hmmm - with all of the troubles FB has with their oversight - nah just believe DH when in doubt!  

Edited by bobmc

24 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I'm not sure it's impacting the future of the organization if he took some reps from guys like Carlos Perez, Anderson Feliz, Ryan Ripken, Jesmuel Valentin, Preston Palmeiro, etc.  Both the Tides and Baysox always have some random late 20s, early 30s org guy filling out the roster, putting up a .778 OPS in a corner. 

Davis would be the same thing, just OPSing .650. Not that he would accept the assignment...

I don't care if it was Tim Tebow he was taking ABs away from... It would still be awful. 

Anyways, it's pretty moot since, as you said, he would never agree to it anyways.

42 minutes ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

I don't care if it was Tim Tebow he was taking ABs away from... It would still be awful. 

Anyways, it's pretty moot since, as you said, he would never agree to it anyways.

Preston Palmeiro and Chris Davis have about the same odds of having a meaningful MLB career from this date forward.

One of the lessons of 2020 is that 80% of minor leaguers are just there so that Yusniel Diaz has a way to play games.  It's pretty irrelevant who the 19 anonymous bodies wearing BaySox uniforms are.

23 hours ago, Frobby said:

I will believe it when I read an official press release saying it.   Not until then.     

I think the main driving factor regarding whether Davis gets released before next spring training will be whether the O’s are worried about losing players in the Rule 5 draft.    In the past couple years, it wasn’t very likely that the 41st player in our organization would get claimed, so leaving Davis on the roster over the winter didn’t have much downside.    This year could be different due to the better depth in our system.    That said, I haven’t really studied who needs to be added and who is likely to get subtracted.    

I really hope Davis does what's right at this point and retires. It's his only way of saving some grace at this point. If not, I agree, this year's 40-man roster decisions should be the end of him, unless the team thinks there is a possibility of another strange season like this where they wouldn't have to pay him the entire amount.

14 hours ago, CallMeBrooksie said:

Chris Davis will die a rich man if he never sees another penny from the O's. I don't think he would play out his contract in that kind of shame. At some point a man's gotta have pride.

Also, I can say with near-absolute certainty that he cannot hit AAA pitching.

You would think, but there's a lot of money on the table and it appears Davis is more concerned about cashing those checks then his legacy as a player.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You would think, but there's a lot of money on the table and it appears Davis is more concerned about cashing those checks then his legacy as a player.

I think $46 mm buys a tremendous amount of self-delusion.    

I still remember from Psych 101 they did this experiment where two groups of people were asked to do a boring, repetitive task for several hours.  One group was unpaid, the other group got a nice stipend.   Afterwards they were asked how interesting the assigned tasks were.   The paid group said it was much more interesting than the unpaid group did.    

Now multiply that effect by 46 million, and you have Davis’ situation.  

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I really hope Davis does what's right at this point and retires. It's his only way of saving some grace at this point. If not, I agree, this year's 40-man roster decisions should be the end of him, unless the team thinks there is a possibility of another strange season like this where they wouldn't have to pay him the entire amount.

I hate to say it, but if the team feels like they can save, say $10 million, by keeping Davis as the 40th man in case of another COVID shortened season, I couldn’t blame them. You could certainly argue that’s a better use of resources than maxing out the 40th spot.

Hopefully that doesn’t happen for a million more important reasons.

7 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I hate to say it, but if the team feels like they can save, say $10 million, by keeping Davis as the 40th man in case of another COVID shortened season, I couldn’t blame them. You could certainly argue that’s a better use of resources than maxing out the 40th spot.

Hopefully that doesn’t happen for a million more important reasons.

The odds of another Covid shortened season seem pretty slim.  When MLB restarted, it was not at all clear that they would be able to finish a 60 get season.

But now we are 11 days from the finish line and it really looks like all 30 teams, even the Marlins and Cardinals, will get in 60 games or darn close to it.

I think there is no reason not to expect a 162 game schedule next year.  Maybe the only issue will be whether there are capacity crowds from day 1 or not.

Now if Labor strife might cancel the 2022 season, maybe they hang on to Davis so that if the 2022 season is lost, they save that $23 million.  That's an awful thought!

1 hour ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Preston Palmeiro and Chris Davis have about the same odds of having a meaningful MLB career from this date forward.

One of the lessons of 2020 is that 80% of minor leaguers are just there so that Yusniel Diaz has a way to play games.  It's pretty irrelevant who the 19 anonymous bodies wearing BaySox uniforms are.

Of course without games we never know who is in which group. Someone thought of as an 80%er, esp in the low minors, occasionally shows their worth and gets their act together.