Tony La Russa...?

Moose Milligan

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Interesting.  So criminal records don't matter to you?

A DUI is a criminal act, but no I wouldn’t fire someone for a DUI. And I wouldn’t agree with someone who did. Most first-time DUIs end in deferred adjudication anyway.

3 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

No driving, but a security clearance.  Without that I can't do my job.  Hard to get or keep a clearance with any kind of a criminal record.  Ending a long, successful, reasonably well-paid career in shame is an excellent incentive to not get a DUI.

Point taken, But there is a difference between your job and managing a baseball team.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I find it interesting that his first one was that way, too.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was a pattern for him and that is how he usually ends up.

I don't think the first time you ever decide to drink drunk it's so drunk you pass out.  I think you have to build up to that.

Wasn't his first one, big guy.  

No, I think it was his second. When was the first? What was the disposition of number 1? How many years passed between 1 and 2?

And so what? Doesn’t change my point because I didn’t say in. T first comment that it was his only one, I said it was in February.

Cocaine use is against the law, as are most uses of drugs. I don’t think people routinely get fired because of cocaine use.

Do not misunderstand me, I’m not saying that driving drunk, or public drunkenness, or saying stupid things to a cop are acceptable, but this is not a country that is based on draconian punishment. We don’t chop off right hands.

what Hinch and Cora did is far worse for baseball than hiring a guy with a DUI. I wouldn’t have hired them, and I wouldn’t have hired LaRussa, but a DUI wouldn’t have been the reason.

Edited by Philip

Wasn't his first one, big guy.  

I just reread my comment, and yes it could’ve been misconstrued. My point is that a DUI is so minor that unless one is a chronic offender, and we don’t know that Larussa is, the penalty is extremely light.

A neighbor a couple of doors down  dealt with a DUI a year or so ago, it was not his first or second, but I don’t remember how many. The penalty was he lost his license for six months and had to spend another six months with a breathalyzer attached to his car so he could only drive after taking a breath test. He didn’t lose his job, he didn’t even miss much work, and that was the outcome. That ended about a year ago and things are fine now.

15 minutes ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

...this is a 76 year old guy, tho, who you'd think should know better by now.  Maybe his liver is so decrepit a single glass of wine really does just knock him out.  I'm dubious on that as there have been rumors of his partying for years.  Old dog, same tricks... :)

I don’t deny that at all, and he may be full of flaws, but that’s not the point.

I’m pretty sure that my contract  includes a “conduct unbecoming” clause in the collective bargaining agreement, and such a clause is part of the boiler plate of most employment contracts, and depending on how it’s worded, an employee might be liable for dismissal under certain circumstances.
But it really troubles me that society seems to be entering a point where-with certain glaring exceptions-the slightest infraction, real or perceived-results in a metaphorical execution. 

Edited by Philip

Just now, Philip said:

I don’t deny that at all, and he may be full of flaws, but that’s not the point.

I’m pretty sure that my contract  includes a “conduct unbecoming” clause in the collective bargaining agreement, and such a clause is part of the boiler plate of most employment contracts, and depending on how it’s worded, and employer might be liable for dismissal under certain circumstances.
But it really troubles me that society seems to be entering a point where-with certain glaring exceptions-the slightest infraction, real or perceived-results in a metaphorical execution. 

It really troubles me that society is at a point where certain members view repeated instances of drunk driving as a slight infraction.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Does being passed out at a traffic light really count as driving ???  It's not like the car was moving.

o

He was very lucky ...... when the police found him at the traffic light, the car was still in drive and his foot was still on the brake when he fell asleep. If his foot had not stayed on the break while he was sleeping, we might not be having this conversation.

o

6 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

He was very lucky ...... when the police found him at the traffic light, the car was still in drive and his foot was still on the brake when he fell asleep. If his foot had not stayed on the break while he was sleeping, we might not be having this conversation.

o

You could tell that I wasn't seriously considering the offense less offensive because the vehicle wasn't moving right?