Hanser Alberto has been non-tendered

SteveA

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’d rather have Alberto than Valaika.  I trust his defense and his bat more.  His BA may be empty but if you use him as a platoon guy, he has value.

Valaika has some pop in his bat but this is also a guy who struggled to hit in Coors at times and he isn’t that good defensively.  I do like his attitude on the field and things like that and don’t mind him as a UTI guy when he is cheap but I don’t want him getting much more than 150-200 at bats.

We'll just have to disagree. Valaika has some upside with the bat and could be a late bloomer, and also has the ability to at least not kill the team at SS for short periods of time.

Most likely, both are place holder players and considering Valaika is cheaper, he gets the nod.

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea but MASN is still collecting that money from cable subscribers whether the Os are playing or not.  Now, obviously viewership was down, which hurts advertising dollars but the money was still coming in.

The Os also had a significantly lower payroll than Atlanta and moved more payroll during the year.  They didn’t lose nearly the amount of money Atl did and if they would actually factor in MASN, they may not have lost money at all.

You must not have read my post carefully.    The RSN’s are paying rebates to the cable companies based on games that weren’t played.  Presumably that includes MASN.    I’ll be checking my next cable bill to see how much of a rebate I get, though it appears the entire rebate won’t come all at once and it probably won’t be broken down between MASN and the other RSN’s in my cable package.   

56 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Whose numbers are in a freefall.  Even me, nearly 50-year-old guy who's been a Directv subscriber for 20+ years is probably going to cut the cord (okay, the cord to the dish...) soon and be without any (legal) way to get to MASN.  For many people live sports was the reason to keep cable and keep paying those MASN fees, but now you can stream all kinds of stuff... except the O's and Nats in market.  If I cut the cord I can literally watch more 3rd division German soccer than I can Orioles games without doing shady VPN stuff.

Pandemic, no O's games on much of the year and when they come back they're got good.  It's astonishing they haven't worked out a streaming deal, and for now the revenues have to be off significantly from a couple years ago.

SG only recently resumed posting here, so he probably missed some of the long threads that discuss what was disclosed about MASN’s economics in the course of the arbitration proceedings and court cases that have been made public.   I recall that about a year ago MASN made a court filing where they disclosed how many subscribers they had lost due to cord cutting.    My recollection is it was about 25% of their subscriber base as of a year ago — I’m sure it’s deteriorated since then.    I will see if I can find it.   

Edit: my memory is awesome!   From exactly a year ago today:

https://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36863-masn-has-lost-27-of-its-subscribers-in-8-years/&tab=comments#comment-2548470

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sports Guy said:

It is completely astounding to me that the Orioles haven’t been smart enough to get involved in the steaming business.  

They are actually usually pretty good with fan relations stuff and they are completely crapping the bed on this one.

Are any teams doing it?  My guess is that MLB won't allow individual teams into that market.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

We'll just have to disagree. Valaika has some upside with the bat and could be a late bloomer, and also has the ability to at least not kill the team at SS for short periods of time.

Most likely, both are place holder players and considering Valaika is cheaper, he gets the nod.

I like the idea of playing Valiaka at 2B or 3B .... The idea of SS scares the hell out of me!

33 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I like the idea of playing Valiaka at 2B or 3B .... The idea of SS scares the hell out of me!

Yeah, I don't want him there either, especially for any kinda of length of time. But I can say that about Alberto and probably Urias who has been left out of this conversation by most.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, I don't want him there either, especially for any kinda of length of time. But I can say that about Alberto and probably Urias who has been left out of this conversation by most.

Agreed ... I don't think Iglesias' replacement is currently on the roster

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

It is completely astounding to me that the Orioles haven’t been smart enough to get involved in the steaming business.  

They are actually usually pretty good with fan relations stuff and they are completely crapping the bed on this one.

So maybe they are in the “steaming” business after all!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

SG only recently resumed posting here, so he probably missed some of the long threads that discuss what was disclosed about MASN’s economics in the course of the arbitration proceedings and court cases that have been made public.   I recall that about a year ago MASN made a court filing where they disclosed how many subscribers they had lost due to cord cutting.    My recollection is it was about 25% of their subscriber base as of a year ago — I’m sure it’s deteriorated since then.    I will see if I can find it.   

Edit: my memory is awesome!   From exactly a year ago today:

https://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/36863-masn-has-lost-27-of-its-subscribers-in-8-years/&tab=comments#comment-2548470

I was credited $14.

#Edit -- Sorry -- quoted the wrong FRobby post,  Meant to quote the one about the RSN rebate.