Orioles Lose Zach Pop and Grey Fenter in Rule Five

weams

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m pretty bummed out we’re losing Pop.    That was an unforced error.   I do like what we’ve seen from Wells and hope we keep him.   Scelorer didn’t impress me when I watched him a bit last week.   

Hey that is my line (actually I may have stolen it from you... don't remember) but as I have said at nauseum since he was left unprotected, this is/was a bad decision. Frankly, I don't think it was even close... I had him lumped in with the guys they did protect. I get that he is likely a 1 inning guy but, I think he could be a late inning guy/closer. I like the movement and if he's sitting 96+ then he's a good bet to reach it. 

Pop right now seems to be a one inning reliever that can pitch every three days.   That could get better but that is who he seems to be now.  He would not have made the 26 man O's roster.  But he didn't have to.   His competition for a 40 man spot would have been Lakins and Sulser.    Right now Pop looks like he has a better future then either of those two.

So, yes, a mistake. Unless he is returned sometime this season.

Just now, wildcard said:

Pop right now seems to be a one inning reliever that can pitch every three days.   That could get better but that is who he seems to be now.  He would not have made the 26 man O's roster.  But he did have to.   His competition for a 40 man spot would have been Lakins and Sulser.    Right now Pop looks like he has a better future then either of those two.

So, yes, a mistake.

There were at least 5-8 guys that should have been off the 40 man before him.

9 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Good for him, good for them actually because I see that they’re keeping two guys, who have left from minor league of security to major-league daily pay, and from buses to planes.

Like the song says, it’s nice work if you can get it.

8 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

There were at least 5-8 guys that should have been off the 40 man before him.

I agree completely, it’s even worse when one of the guys you kept over him, you end up designating yourself. But what’s done is done.

Let's remember a few things here.

1) I agree that it appears they left Pop unnecessarily unprotected. If he was healthy, and it now shows that he was, he should have never have been left unprotected over pitchers like Goudeau, Sulser or Lakins.
2) Just because Pop made the team doesn't mean he will last all season. Drew Jackson and Nestor Cortes Jr. made the Orioles on Opening Day and then were sent back.
3) We haven't seen how Pop will be used yet. Can he pitch back to back? Can he pitch often? Can he pitch more than one innings or more than 25 pitches?

So yes, as of today, this looks like a misstep for Elias in his evaluation or in his information that he had on Pop. But, the book has not been completed on this yet, so we should all hold off on the dramatics.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Let's remember a few things here.

1) I agree that it appears they left Pop unnecessarily unprotected. If he was healthy, and it now shows that he was, he should have never have been left unprotected over pitchers like Goudeau, Sulser or Lakins.
2) Just because Pop made the team doesn't mean he will last all season. Drew Jackson and Nestor Cortes Jr. made the Orioles on Opening Day and then were sent back.
3) We haven't seen how Pop will be used yet. Can he pitch back to back? Can he pitch often? Can he pitch more than one innings or more than 25 pitches?

So yes, as of today, this looks like a misstep for Elias in his evaluation or in his information that he had on Pop. But, the book has not been completed on this yet, so we should all hold off on the dramatics.

I don’t see how he is going to be used is relevant at all.  If he pitches once every 2 weeks, it was still wrong to not protect him.