Santander drawing interest

Jammer7

53 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

That might be true at the time, but we don't know the roster composition and whether that's true. Again, if behind Santander you have a black hole in RF, lack of team power, lack of LH hitter, etc., you'd have given away the team's biggest need. 

But we do know right now is that Santander is nothing more than a solid role player.  That is what he is, at best. 

So, you want to have a situation where you can project out Santander to be more than that but you don’t want to project out the other needs of the roster, his salary, etc...Can’t have it both ways.

22 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

For me, it's pretty straightforward when it comes to the Marlins in particular. We get Bleday, we should trade Santander. Not sure if Bleday is a possibility, but I think you stand pat if he's not part of the deal. Santander should have more value at the trade deadline as long as he's healthy. There will be teams that need OF bats at the deadline.

Position players don’t typically carry more value at the deadline vs the offseason.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not saying they should be cheap.

I'm saying I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.

In other words, Santander will get expensive soon, ie when we hope to be contenders.  Why spend 8-12M on a middling at best player when the money can be spent better elsewhere.

That should ALWAYS be the mindset for every team.  It’s just good business.

32 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

But we do know right now is that Santander is nothing more than a solid role player.  That is what he is, at best. 

So, you want to have a situation where you can project out Santander to be more than that but you don’t want to project out the other needs of the roster, his salary, etc...Can’t have it both ways.

You seem to know that. I do not. Jammer, who's no dummy, clearly disagrees as well. Santander has always been a guy with upside. He's entering his prime years. We could be sitting on a bunch of excess value. 

And we already have him. You don't project a need at RF without a solution while he's here. You may not even after he's traded, but again your risk tolerance on relying on the young guys is different than mine.

33 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

In other words, Santander will get expensive soon, ie when we hope to be contenders.  Why spend 8-12M on a middling at best player when the money can be spent better elsewhere.

That should ALWAYS be the mindset for every team.  It’s just good business.

Come on man. Middling at best? That's not even your own definition, which is that he's on average the 4th best OPS on a team league wide.

And yes, where resources are limited, you have to be efficient. I think there's arguments for Santander at arb prices being more efficient than RF through FA prices. You're just assuming everything else works out when he's gone, whereas in my argument I'm valuing the known over the unknown.

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

You seem to know that. I do not. Jammer, who's no dummy, clearly disagrees as well. Santander has always been a guy with upside. He's entering his prime years. We could be sitting on a bunch of excess value. 

And we already have him. You don't project a need at RF without a solution while he's here. You may not even after he's traded, but again your risk tolerance on relying on the young guys is different than mine.

Yes I know what he has been so far in his career.  These are facts, not opinions.

You want to project him out but don’t want to project out other things (again referencing CoC post).  I don’t get why you are ok projecting one and not the other.

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Come on man. Middling at best? That's not even your own definition, which is that he's on average the 4th best OPS on a team league wide.

And yes, where resources are limited, you have to be efficient. I think there's arguments for Santander at arb prices being more efficient than RF through FA prices. You're just assuming everything else works out when he's gone, whereas in my argument I'm valuing the known over the unknown.

He has been worth 1.2 wAR FOR HIS CAREER!!

A 1-2 WAR player is a middling at best player to me..now, I’m saying that looking at him as a starting player.  I think he’s a middling everyday guy.  Which btw, is a far better designation than he has had for his entire career thus far.

On the 5/9ths of the lineup Mancini, Mountcastle, Santander, Diaz, Hays where I feel like that is a flat basket of talent for 2021-2022, I can picture Kjerstad just replacing Mancini in 2023.  

One spin on it is the hope good healthy Trey Mancini simply isn't a player good enough for the 2023 Orioles.

I'll make the Kjerstad/Bregman jokes about July and hope he really does blow the doors off the world, but with whatever held him up, I imagine he's going to have some polishing to do at least in early 2022.   Seeing how Kjerstad hits whenever we get to is almost as popcorn worthy as seeing how Rodriguez and Hall pitch.   If we've known what we're doing, probably ought to be a lot of fun.

If all six of those guys are playing well in mid-2022, that could be a dogfight but 6-way parlays are 1% things for a reason.   Maybe one of them buys us an October pitcher, in the very best case scenario.

Big core/small core, I think those Yankees gave a lot of baseball an anchor point with their Core Four, and broadly I think I'm with SG there.  I dare RMC to be more than a role player, and of course to get really good you need a few of those developmental wins.

27 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So when Mancini is traded who is likely to  be the O's first baseman?

It could be Mountcastle...it could be Kjerstad.  It could be Nevin..it could be a MI that isn’t cutting it there, so they move them.  It could be someone who isn’t in the organization right now.

Lots of possibilities.