Orioles Have Major League Offers on the Table for Starting Pitchers

LTO's

34 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Meant to filter that on available. Use this link: https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/ufa/starting-pitcher/available/

Maybe I missed the explanation, but why are so many pitchers listed without any market value?

At the very least they should list their last contract? I was surprised to see something worthwhile guys there. I’d like to take a flyer on some of the younger ones, but I still want Colin McHughif they’re going to get somebody.

4 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

He was pretty awful in the shortened season. If he's healthy I would think some team would be interested in  1 year + option type deal for decent money. Was he injured last season? 4 hits per game increase is steep!

With the Galvises and Francos of the world, they have a position to keep Player Team combos smaller.

I'd guess from here a Galvis sized contract will end up sufficient for someone out of..

Anibal, Teheran, Fiers, Bailey, Shoemaker, Rodon, Milone, <any Anderson>

For those guys its kind of do you want the Baltimore job for a few months, can you outpitch Jorge Lopez/Bruce Zimmermann, and practice not freaking out if you get pulled after 18 batters faced, and/or have an opener tackle the top of the Yankees lineup.   Maybe not even that if the 2021 Orioles are emphasizing "development"!

At least until/unless Theo changes the rules.

53 minutes ago, Philip said:

If he’s happy with the catching situation, he has quite low standards.

The Orioles two catchers combined for 1.1 rWAR in a 60 game season in 2020. They have the #2 prospect in baseball coming up by the end of next year (hopefully by the end of this year). What exactly do you think they should be doing at catcher?

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Philip said:

Maybe I missed the explanation, but why are so many pitchers listed without any market value?

At the very least they should list their last contract? I was surprised to see something worthwhile guys there. I’d like to take a flyer on some of the younger ones, but I still want Colin McHughif they’re going to get somebody.

It might be the model they are running to calculate player value. Taijuan Walker barely pitched in 2018 and 2019 and maybe their algorithm won't predict his 2021 value because of limited playing time. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MurphDogg said:

The Orioles two catchers combined for 1.1 rWAR in a 60 game season in 2020. They have the #2 prospect in baseball coming up by the end of next year (hopefully by the end of this year). What exactly do you think they should be doing at catcher?

I’m unhappy with both Sisco and severino. AR is of course everything, but he’s not up yet, so he’s not part of the current situation. I’d be looking for better catching, of course.

30 minutes ago, Philip said:

I’m unhappy with both Sisco and severino. AR is of course everything, but he’s not up yet, so he’s not part of the current situation. I’d be looking for better catching, of course.

I see no reason to spend an additional 50 cents on catching with AR on the way.  Sisco and Severino are perfectly fine as a stop gap or future backup to Rutschman.

• Upvote 3

Perhaps he has some low ball offers out there for a guy he thinks he can move at the trading deadline, but i doubt we see a guy be given a spot. With Akin, Kremer, and Zimmerman ready now, Baumann probably just as close, Lowther, Wells and Smith close behind, I sure hope he doesn't start throwing innings at guys that won't move the needle or bring back much in trade.

It's time to start giving these guys major league innings.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

Exactly. The catching situation is fine until AR arrives. I would though like to see them sign a veteran for AAA as depth.

I do think the shortened workloads from last year probably give this kind of guy a little bit of a 2021 new lease on life especially if 162 games happen, but Bigger Rosters + Driveline are inching their usage pattern to the edge of the cliff.   

Championship caliber teams are already making Patrick Corbins and Julio Uriases October spot guys, and heaven help us if playoff thirst makes the New CBA tournament too easy to get into.

And then ye olde Growth Mindset - any soon to be 31 year old like Brad Hand can "prioritize increasing fastball velocity" this winter.

There's a part of me for Padres-Dodgers that just wants to throw it back to league champion goes to World Series, though Adley wraps up his club control years 0-for-7 there.