Is it really only ONE day until pitchers and catchers report?

Frobby

Health and safety protocols agreed to. 7 inning double headers and runner on second in extra innings to continue this season.

No Universal DH or expanded playoffs as part of this agreement. Last year, that came right before Opening Day, but I can't see either side budging enough to establish a precedent for expanded playoffs this year. MLB is fine with universal DH but doesn't want to give it up for free and MLBPA feels that expanded playoffs is much more valuable, so while I expect both will be part of the next CBA, they likely won't happen this year.

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No real reason to do it this year, my guess is this is a ploy to just make them permanent changes.

You think there won't be any games missed for COVID outbreaks, necessitating doubleheaders? I hope so but I don't share your optimism.

19 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

You think there won't be any games missed for COVID outbreaks, necessitating doubleheaders? I hope so but I don't share your optimism.

I'm known around these parts for my optimism.

I don't expect much in the way of issues since I expect the players to be vaccinated pretty early on.

• Upvote 1

Maybe in a week I can stop holding my breath.   I have been turning blue ever since Michael Baumann had his arm strain last summer.   In a little over a week we should get a status of how his arm rehab is going.   Will we see his upper 90 fastball this year or will he need surgery or anything in between. 

Michael could become a main stay in the O's rotation this season or if the rehab is not working he could become Hunter Harvey who we never know if he will stay healthy.

I can't wait.  Blue is not really my best color.

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm known around these parts for my optimism.

I don't expect much in the way of issues since I expect the players to be vaccinated pretty early on.

They definitely should be vaccinated early on. I'm just not sure if MLB wants to deal with the fallout of having healthy millionaires cutting in line.

By the time the season starts the only people left to be vaccinated (that are interested in being vaccinated) should be general population. I would have no problem with people who are required to travel extensively and can't social distance for their job go ahead of people that are able to work from home. But I don't think MLB is interested in the optics of that. There are going to be 150 million people that are become eligible all at once and there could be a PR hit if millionaires get it first.

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

They definitely should be vaccinated early on. I'm just not sure if MLB wants to deal with the fallout of having healthy millionaires cutting in line.

By the time the season starts the only people left to be vaccinated (that are interested in being vaccinated) should be general population. I would have no problem with people who are required to travel extensively and can't social distance for their job go ahead of people that are able to work from home. But I don't think MLB is interested in the optics of that. There are going to be 150 million people that are become eligible all at once and there could be a PR hit if millionaires get it first.

I think they don't announce it.

8 hours ago, wildcard said:

Maybe in a week I can stop holding my breath.   I have been turning blue ever since Michael Baumann had his arm strain last summer.   In a little over a week we should get a status of how his arm rehab is going.   Will we see his upper 90 fastball this year or will he need surgery or anything in between. 

Michael could become a main stay in the O's rotation this season or if the rehab is not working he could become Hunter Harvey who we never know if he will stay healthy.

I can't wait.  Blue is not really my best color.

https://youtu.be/9C1vJ2Z8aI0

6 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

Don't think this is true.  I have signed up through Harford County as a Pre-Registered for 1C (Bottom of the list as I am 31 with no health conditions).  Latest I have received through the county is they are currently expecting those 65-74 in 1B to receive their first vaccine 6 weeks at the soonest and possibly in upwards of 13 weeks.  They also put a hypothetical of "increased shipments" reducing the timeframe.  Even then, 1C pre-registered people will not begin receiving notification for scheduling until late march.  I wish you were right.  But, I think it is wishful thinking.

When Will I Be Chosen?

Harford County has 17,000 people age 75+ and 24,000 age 65-74. Limited vaccine supplies are why only 9% of Harford Countians have received a vaccine as of February 1st. Things will speed up when the drug companies and federal government speed up delivery.

·     Worst case: If things do not speed up then the average 75+ year old will wait 6 weeks and the longest wait for a 75+year-old to get a first dose will be 13 weeks.

·     More likely: Shipments are expected to increase so that each week the supply increases by 10%. In that case, the longest wait for a 75+ year old to get a first dose will be 8 weeks and the average would be 4 weeks. In this case, group 1C would start to see invitations in late March.

• Upvote 1

When the J & J vaccine comes online at the end of this month the amount of supply should start increasing.  I suspect in April or at the latest May most areas will allow anyone who wants the vaccination to get it.  I doubt that MLB players would get the vaccine before that but I would expect the minute that happens they will arrange for them to have it the next day.  

58 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Amended the thread title.   I’m ready!!!

It will a little weird without the media there to report on every hangnail.    But I’m sure we’ll be getting daily spoonfed pieces of the Orioles’ choosing.   

I'm all ready for a lot of "Ball coming out of his hand nicely" comments!