Update: Matt Harvey added to 40-man roster

MurphDogg

You have to go on something. Based on what we know, which isn’t as much as what Hyde knows( and, children, I have never said otherwise)LeBlanc and Lopez have outperformed Felix and Harvey. In 2018, I was annoyed that Buck kept insisting Tillman was fine, when he certainly wasn’t, and hadn’t been for a long while. If Harvey and Felix do better than the alternatives, then sure, take them north. But DONT give them a spot they don’t deserve because of a tiny chance they might improve enough to bring back something meaningful in trade come late June.

Thats all I’m saying.

6 minutes ago, Pushmonkey said:

I’m curious how should roster decisions be made?

Most of the roster is already set.  

Those few positions that are up for grabs should come down to how a player looks, velocity, are they working on pitches or just getting hammered, confident at the plate, good at bats, etc...

Sample sizes are small, that judging players by stats is a poor way to do it.

• Upvote 1

We all have our opinions about how things should be done. In the end, what Elias, Sig, Hyde, Holt and the rest of a very smart and capable staff do will be in the best interests of the team, the players and the future of the organization. Some things are obvious, while other things are more subtle, need time and cultivation. There is a process to building a winning franchise from the ground up. And they have been pretty transparent about what they are trying to do. 

Harvey apparently made some batters take terrible swings today with his new weapon, a 2 seam. That does not necessarily make him a Cy Young candidate, but it does show progress in the alteration of his attack of hitters. It shows growth. If he is able to improve his mechanics, pitches, command, and sequences, then he should produce better results if Holt and the analytics guys are actually good at their jobs. I believe they are excellent. 

Maybe today was just an aberration, and maybe he still is terrible. Time will tell. Scouts and coaches will tell you that stats do not mean much, but the swings that good batters take tell you everything you need to know. Spring training is a time for guys to get loose,  build up innings and strength, refine command and feel of their pitches. Managers and coaches recognize this and the track records of the veteran players and pitchers. Many major league stars struggle in the Spring and even into May. For instance, Eddie Murray was notorious for being a slow starter. Come June, he was the hottest bat around. 

@PhilipSorry if my tone has been grumpy or dismissive tonight. My patience was a little thin earlier this evening. A colleague of mine lost a battle for his life and passed away. Far too many these days. I have no excuse. 

I do enjoy discussions like this. We’ll see what happens. I may be totally wrong in my assessments and I will admit such if I am. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

We all have our opinions about how things should be done. In the end, what Elias, Sig, Hyde, Holt and the rest of a very smart and capable staff do will be in the best interests of the team, the players and the future of the organization. Some things are obvious, while other things are more subtle, need time and cultivation. There is a process to building a winning franchise from the ground up. And they have been pretty transparent about what they are trying to do. 

Harvey apparently made some batters take terrible swings today with his new weapon, a 2 seam. That does not necessarily make him a Cy Young candidate, but it does show progress in the alteration of his attack of hitters. It shows growth. If he is able to improve his mechanics, pitches, command, and sequences, then he should produce better results if Holt and the analytics guys are actually good at their jobs. I believe they are excellent. 

Maybe today was just an aberration, and maybe he still is terrible. Time will tell. Scouts and coaches will tell you that stats do not mean much, but the swings that good batters take tell you everything you need to know. Spring training is a time for guys to get loose,  build up innings and strength, refine command and feel of their pitches. Managers and coaches recognize this and the track records of the veteran players and pitchers. Many major league stars struggle in the Spring and even into May. For instance, Eddie Murray was notorious for being a slow starter. Come June, he was the hottest bat around. 

@PhilipSorry if my tone has been grumpy or dismissive tonight. My patience was a little thin earlier this evening. A colleague of mine lost a battle for his life and passed away. Far too many these days. I have no excuse. 

I do enjoy discussions like this. We’ll see what happens. I may be totally wrong in my assessments and I will admit such if I am. 

No worries, I appreciate your gesture.. My mom passed last week, and we are cleaning out her house, and everything we find makes us sad, because she was a hoarder and saved EVERYTHING, no matter how worthless. So sad...

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Please don't feed Moose's opinions.

Dude was drafted in 2010 what relevance is his draft status?

If he signed in 2007 as a third round pick would he be less highly regarded now?

If you don't think draft status has something to do with how many chances a player gets, you're crazy.

Maybe not back in 2010, but someone who was drafted high in in recent years?  Yeah, they get more opportunities to show they can't play.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

If you don't think draft status has something to do with how many chances a player gets, you're crazy.

Maybe not back in 2010, but someone who was drafted high in in recent years?  Yeah, they get more opportunities to show they can't play.

As a rule?  Nope.  Do you think Josh Hart got extra chances?   Do you think Cayden is getting preferential freatment?

I think what another poster said a few days ago is closer to the mark.  What made them a first round pick in the first place is why guys get an extra chance.

Tanner Scott is a sixth round pick but he was given tons of chances, because he's got a big arm.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

As a rule?  Nope.  Do you think Josh Hart got extra chances?   Do you think Cayden is getting preferential freatment?

I think what another poster said a few days ago is closer to the mark.  What made them a first round pick in the first place is why guys get an extra chance.

Tanner Scott is a sixth round pick but he was given tons of chances, because he's got a big arm.

Of course what made them a first round pick in the first place is what gets them more chances.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Of course what made them a first round pick in the first place is what gets them more chances.

So it isn't that they were first round picks?I

So some like Jake, who had first round talent but dropped due to signability will get the same chances?