Renato Nunez cut by Tigers

Jammer7

3 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Better stuff doesn’t matter if you can’t harness it and aren’t good.  Zero indication that this guy is good or even remotely belongs on a big league roster.  It’s not like he is some 21 year old with some long term upside.

He gives us nothing now or in the future that you can’t find on a waiver wire or in the draft.

And yea, not sure why I kept saying Max although maybe I’m just trying to forget about him already.  Lol

You have a strange affection for saying guys have given zero indications that he is good when A) You haven't really seen him B) You don't have a ton of statcast data to go off of C) you keep saying how bad his numbers are but they all came off that one awful outing.

If the team can give innings to the Plutko's of the world, they can find innings for Sceroler. The guy has decent arm strength (92-95) and has shown the ability to throw a good curve and change. Do I think he's a future TOR, no, but I do think he could give the Orioles some innings out of the pen and unless I think the Orioles will lose a piece that could be part of the future while he's on the roster, why not? 

I think he has more upside than waiver wire fodder, but I also know I haven't seen him enough to have a strong opinion. If the Orioles decide to keep him I'm fine with it. If they decided to give him back, no harm no foul. I really don't understand how anyone on here can have that strong of an opinion on with so little data to go off of.

Saying that, I'd keep Wells over Sceroler if I had to keep one.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Well of course he’s flawed, otherwise we wouldn’t have gotten him for a bucket of balls.

If he is what he is, and there’s nothing to “work on,” then he offers nothing we don’t already have. That should be plenty obvious. And eating innings is a silly concept, any fool can stand on the mound for 120 innings a season.

Again, if Mike sees some thing in this guys arsenal that can be developed, then I’m all for it. But put him in AAA And not on the big league roster.

I don’t see much either but you are completely wrong that he doesn’t help us compared to what we have.

I mean, you are literally factually incorrect.

Now, that speaks more to the idea that we aren’t a talented staff but it’s still true nonetheless.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t see much either but you are completely wrong that he doesn’t help us compared to what we have.

Now, that speaks more to the idea that we aren’t a talented staff but it’s still true nonetheless.

Meh. We’ll find out

55 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You have a strange affection for saying guys have given zero indications that he is good when A) You haven't really seen him B) You don't have a ton of statcast data to go off of C) you keep saying how bad his numbers are but they all came off that one awful outing.

If the team can give innings to the Plutko's of the world, they can find innings for Sceroler. The guy has decent arm strength (92-95) and has shown the ability to throw a good curve and change. Do I think he's a future TOR, no, but I do think he could give the Orioles some innings out of the pen and unless I think the Orioles will lose a piece that could be part of the future while he's on the roster, why not? 

I think he has more upside than waiver wire fodder, but I also know I haven't seen him enough to have a strong opinion. If the Orioles decide to keep him I'm fine with it. If they decided to give him back, no harm no foul. I really don't understand how anyone on here can have that strong of an opinion on with so little data to go off of.

Saying that, I'd keep Wells over Sceroler if I had to keep one.

First of all, I don’t particularly care about the statcast data. 

Secondly,  I said from the day they drafted him that it was a waste.  His numbers in the minors aren’t even that good and he was too old for the leagues to begin with.  

I think us and most organizations probably have 10-20 arms just like him at our disposal at any time.  I would bet you could find multiple guys below AA (ie, the levels he has been) with similar arms that you Could bring up if you just want an arm to look at.

27 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

First of all, I don’t particularly care about the statcast data. 

Secondly,  I said from the day they drafted him that it was a waste.  His numbers in the minors aren’t even that good and he was too old for the leagues to begin with.  

Then we have nothing to discuss because you are apparently using the good old naked eye test and I'm going to go with the data when I have it. 

Literally that statement makes you now OldFan. All you need to do is tell us you don't think Mac Sceroler is not a baseball name and your transformation is complete.

Honestly, it's your second point that is really your issue. You are not quite known for being open minded once you make your assessments of players and prefer to call guys trash or terrible based off your pre-conceived assessments, which apparently does not involve the best known data that we have on pitcher's stuff.

You are certainly allowed to have any opinion you like, but I'm not going to lie, if you aren't using stat cast data when it's available you are doing yourself and your "opinions" a disservice because you are not as informed as you could be. 

Bu honestly, Sceroler? What kind of name is that?

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Chill!!

You need to take a deep breather because I thought you had gotten better since returning, but the longer you are back, the more you are getting into your old habits.

You can not say someone is "completely wrong" because that's not a fact because we don't know if that's a fact or not because he hasn't pitched. Try this, "I hear what you saying, but I disagree and I think he can help us out more than ... "

Then perhaps throw in some stats to back up your argument or if you really want to impress people, try out baseball savant. You might learn that your pre-conceived notions or eye tests were wrong.

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Then we have nothing to discuss because you are apparently using the good old naked eye test and I'm going to go with the data when I have it. 

Literally that statement makes you now OldFan. All you need to do is tell us you don't think Mac Sceroler is not a baseball name and your transformation is complete.

Honestly, it's your second point that is really your issue. You are not quite known for being open minded once you make your assessments of players and prefer to call guys trash or terrible based off your pre-conceived assessments, which apparently does not involve the best known data that we have on pitcher's stuff.

You are certainly allowed to have any opinion you like, but I'm not going to lie, if you aren't using stat cast data when it's available you are doing yourself and your "opinions" a disservice because you are not as informed as you could be. 

Bu honestly, Sceroler? What kind of name is that?

The idea that you are going off of a very small sample of data and ignoring age and MiL performance is wrong imo.

How many arms in the minors have impressive stat cast data but suck when they are actually pitching?  I would bet a lot.  They are professional players, most of them drafted, who have played their entire lives and got scholarships to major schools.  So, of course a lot of them look impressive.

It’s like being the team that drafts a player #10 overall in the NFL draft because they excelled in the Tshirt Olympics.  

What is their performance?  How old were they?  What do the stats tell you about them?

I will take all of that into consideration far more than their statcast data from spring training.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Chill!!

You need to take a deep breather because I thought you had gotten better since returning, but the longer you are back, the more you are getting into your old habits.

You can not say someone is "completely wrong" because that's not a fact because we don't know if that's a fact or not because he hasn't pitched. Try this, "I hear what you saying, but I disagree and I think he can help us out more than ... "

Then perhaps throw in some stats to back up your argument or if you really want to impress people, try out baseball savant. You might learn that your pre-conceived notions or eye tests were wrong.

He’s saying that Plutko doesn’t provide us more than what we have.

He is actually factually wrong about that.  Pointing that out is just telling him the truth.

As I said, I actually agree that the guy isn’t much and I don’t really see the point in him being here but again, that speaks to the awful product being put in front of us more than anything else.

Im actually completely unimpressed with how Elias is handling things right now...it doesn’t matter much since it’s just OD but still, I expect better from him.

In 2018, at age 23, Mac pitched at 2 levels...rookie ball and low A.

He had 18 starts and threw 83.1 innings (under 5 IP per start).  He had an 8.7 K rate, 3.2 BB rate and a HR rate just above 1. He also gave up 94 hits.  His ERA was 4.97.  He was considered old for both leagues.

In 2019, at age 24, he played at High A.  He appeared in 26 games, starting 20 of them.  He threw 117 innings.  His K and BB numbers were good and his HR rate was subpar but not terrible.  Again, a little old for his league.

He has thrown a total of 239 MiL innings, hasn't appeared above A ball and turns 26 years old 8 days after Akin does.

None of this is impressive.  People on this board are saying you can't have a player up in the majors until they play at higher levels, perform well, etc...and yet we are ok with keeping a subpar 26 y/o who hasn't played over A ball?  Yea, I do not buy that and I am certainly not going to let a SSS of stat cast data to change my mind.

If we send him back and he turns out to be good, so be it.  Its actually more unlikely that he becomes an asset than it was for Yaz.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

No, we are already know that your argument is factually wrong.  As RZ pointed out, he threw 120 innings of sub 5 ERA baseball in 2019.  As sad as it is, that’s good for this team right now.

I quoted real stats, for his career, I did not cherry pick one season. My argument is not factually wrong. At worst, it could be called incomplete, but I think using his entire career to support my claim is better than using one year.

17 minutes ago, Philip said:

I quoted real stats, for his career, I did not cherry pick one season. My argument is not factually wrong. At worst, it could be called incomplete, but I think using his entire career to support my claim is better than using one year.

But it is wrong because he has shown that he can pitch to the level of a back end starter and we don’t have many guys who have proven they can do that, as sad as that is.

That’s the point.