Matt Harvey 2021

Il BuonO

The guy is throwing 95, velocity is not the problem. He can't locate his pitches, I don't know how coming out of the pen is going to help that. Literally no one they could call up could be worse than this guy right now, it's pointless to keep him around. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I don't think either Hall or Rodriguez belong in AA. Hall needs to work on location, so does Bradish. But Hall and Rodriguez aren't being developed against AA competition. They're getting reps (and fun statistics). I care about mileage on an arm, and I don't like seeing it wasted against minor league competition that is overmatched. 

This is both their first year at AA. Handful of starts.  

I think plenty of development is going on.  

I'd be surprised if he'd be effective as a reliever.  He clearly has the mindset of a starter, and his first and second inning stats are worse than his overall stats.  He seems like a good guy who gave everything he had, so I wish him well, but I don't think he should be on the O's roster anymore.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, vab said:

The guy is throwing 95, velocity is not the problem. He can't locate his pitches, I don't know how coming out of the pen is going to help that. Literally no one they could call up could be worse than this guy right now, it's pointless to keep him around. 

He's trying to maximize velocity at the cost of command.  He's probably made some changes to his delivery.

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I'd be surprised if he'd be effective as a reliever.  He clearly has the mindset of a starter, and his first and second inning stats are worse than his overall stats.  He seems like a good guy who gave everything he had, so I wish him well, but I don't think he should be on the O's roster anymore.  

That’s completely fair.

At this point if he doesn’t try to be a reliever then he needs to call it a career.  

3 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

“There’s no talk of taking him out of the rotation,” Hyde said, “so we’re going to give him the ball when it’s his turn and hopefully he can turn this thing around.” MASN

I hope this is just media speak. This kind of commitment to a veteran on a one year deal just doesn’t make sense when he’s just completely overmatched out there, and there is a wave of young pitching trying to get their footing in the majors, and an even stronger wave in AA/AAA. 

My wish-cast continues to be we want the 5-star review for next year Syndergaard.

"Baltimore, man, they're awesome, helped my game and really gave me every opportunity to perform well.   You should give them a look for your pillow contract/platform season."

30 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

This is both their first year at AA. Handful of starts.  
I think plenty of development is going on.  

I think with the camp last year it's hard to say that their progressions need to be linear, as if they didn't advance themselves in 2020. Going by how they look and the stats they're putting up, I think both are very ready to be more challenged than they currently are. I may be wrong. 

To me, Rodriguez, Hall, and Smith all belong at AAA. Their combined stats at Bowie are 63 IP   39H   12 ER   26 B   97K   1.71 ERA

Currently, Bradish, Kremer, Lowther, A.Wells are in the Norfolk rotation and all are real rotation prospects worthy of their spots at AAA. Baumann ain't going nowhere until he gets back on track, but he's out there as well. And Tyler Wells has earned a shot at the rotation in my opinion. My point is that's a lot of guys who could figure into our future rotation that don't all fit in the Norfolk rotation, while we continue to hold a spot in the Baltimore rotation for Harvey. We're fortunate enough to have some options to replace Harvey. Tyler Wells is my preferred option. 

6 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

I think with the camp last year it's hard to say that their progressions need to be linear, as if they didn't advance themselves in 2020. Going by how they look and the stats they're putting up, I think both are very ready to be more challenged than they currently are. I may be wrong. 

To me, Rodriguez, Hall, and Smith all belong at AAA. Their combined stats at Bowie are 63 IP   39H   12 ER   26 B   97K   1.71 ERA

Currently, Bradish, Kremer, Lowther, A.Wells are in the Norfolk rotation and all are real rotation prospects worthy of their spots at AAA. Baumann ain't going nowhere until he gets back on track, but he's out there as well. And Tyler Wells has earned a shot at the rotation in my opinion. My point is that's a lot of guys who could figure into our future rotation that don't all fit in the Norfolk rotation, while we continue to hold a spot in the Baltimore rotation for Harvey. We're fortunate enough to have some options to replace Harvey. 

This is a post I'd really like the O's brass to read and react to.  

50 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I just don't see how having him get lit up out of the pen is an improvement.

Either way whatever game he pitches in is a blowout loss.

I kind of want to do the cherry pick of the run differential in the 5 or so games since it really turned bad and see how much of the seasonal -59 goes there.

The other 54-55 games your Rutschman/Bradish/Rodriguez-less 2021 Orioles are flirting with an even run differential.   I'm sure it doesn't affect the other 25 guys confidence any given night, or the bullpen the other 80% of the games, to keep running him out there.    You can respect veteranosity too much at some point, and the other 29 clubs aren't conducting this kind of long game rehabilitating the Baltimore Brand for "Good Pitchers Past, Present and Future".

Once supreme talents like Harvey I feel are more likely to have that mindset of Arnold at the end of T2..."I cannot self-terminate.   You have to lower me into the fire".    Occasionally they'll pull a Mike Schmidt some random day in May.

54 minutes ago, UMDTerrapins said:

Currently, Bradish, Kremer, Lowther, A.Wells are in the Norfolk rotation and all are real rotation prospects worthy of their spots at AAA. Baumann ain't going nowhere until he gets back on track, but he's out there as well. And Tyler Wells has earned a shot at the rotation in my opinion. My point is that's a lot of guys who could figure into our future rotation that don't all fit in the Norfolk rotation, while we continue to hold a spot in the Baltimore rotation for Harvey. We're fortunate enough to have some options to replace Harvey. Tyler Wells is my preferred option. 

The problem with moving T Wells to the rotation is that he leaves a hole in long relief.   And with this pitching staff the O's need strong long relief.  T Wells will get his chance to start but I don't know how soon that will be.

In the near term the O's rotation is more likely Lopez, Zimmermann, Akin, Kremer and Means when he gets back. Harvey stays until that happens IMO.