Matt Harvey 2021

Il BuonO

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

Someone in the O's organization thought he was worth 100k to take a look.  So far it has not gone well.  On the other hand Tyler Wells looks like a keeper.   Sometimes they win and sometime it does not work out.

There were so many guys better to pick in that Rule 5 draft with high ceilings. I gave up looking at mocks for this org, just ends in disappointment. 

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Make it stop!!!

It should never have started.  Including tonight, his last 7 games,  14.09 ERA.  Going back to 2019 when he made the move to the American League, in 33 games 30 starts, his ERA is 7.793.   This isn't a "slump."

He knows it.  After his last start, Roch quoted him as saying, 

“It’s been a couple of years now of being really horse(crap), and it’s frustrating,” he said.

“I appreciate the Orioles fans that were here, and unfortunately, I pitched like (crap) and have to be better in front of my home crowd, and I guess I just have to work harder.”...

“I know I’ve definitely pitched pretty bad the last five, six starts, whatever it’s been,” he said. “My job is to prepare and try to get better. and whatever they decide, they decide. I’ve obviously been released before, or DFA’d or whatnot, so I’ve been through the whole situation.”

https://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2021/06/more-on-harvey-and-the-orioles-rotation.html

Who pulls the plug first?  The Orioles?  Harvey retires?

Just now, TonySoprano said:

It should never have started.  Including tonight, his last 7 games,  14.09 ERA.  Going back to 2019 when he made the move to the American League, in 34 games 30 starts, his ERA is 7.793.   This isn't a "slump."

He knows it.  After his last start, Roch quoted him as saying, 

Who pulls the plug first?  The Orioles?  Harvey retires?

Harvey doesn't strike me as a quitter.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I thought Hyde left Harvey in several batters too long yesterday.   But his body language when things start going wrong is just terrible right now.   You can see that his confidence level is very low.   

Well, as it should be.

I'll hand it to him, he worked really hard to get back.  I don't question his effort at all.  Went to Driveline in the offseason, whatever he learned there seemed to impress us enough to try him out.

Maybe they need to send him back there between turns in the rotation to get it ironed out, but that's probably not likely.  His career is most likely over and that's gotta suck for him.  It'd suck for anyone, really, but for a guy who reached the heights that he did, to fall so low has to be pretty demoralizing.

He certainly had some days in the sun, though.  

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I thought Hyde left Harvey in several batters too long yesterday.   But his body language when things start going wrong is just terrible right now.   You can see that his confidence level is very low.   

His quotes have gone beyond "taking responsibility" and moved into "fully depressed woe is me". It's time to move on, but Hyde's got a bit of a Buck-like delusion about the guy. That's not the kind of thing I want out of Brandon Hyde to be honest with you. The player is killing your team's chances of winning, time to have the tough convo.