The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

In Westburg’s only at bat he smoked one 106 that if he had hit it in the 6th or 7th inning probably would have left the park. 

This left/right matchup obsession is silly, especially when you’re replacing a better player with a lesser one. Westburg is a far superior player to Frazier, especially defensively.

Even if Westburg isn't hitting he gives you good defense at 2B. Frazier isn't hitting right now and you're getting mediocre defense from him at this point of his career.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, PsychoBird68 said:

I never said them moves cost us the game, of course they didn't help and like I said the offense didn't bail Hyde out by scoring some runs and help cover up his mistake.... Yes Frazier has gotten some big hits and I've been a big supporter of him but Westburg has gotten a few big hits also with limited chances and had hard contact his first Ab... You bring in Mateo in that situation because of his speed even if your not confident of him stealing a base, he can score on a double, he also puts a lot more pressure on the defense and pitcher   

As it turned out, Frazier popped out and Mullins and O'Hearn struck out so all you would have done is wasted Mateo and then made our OF defense worse.

It may have been covered previously, but the Orioles seemed to be all in to win in 9 innings.  They might have needed to bat Kjerstad for Mateo and I'm not sure who would have gone to 3B at that point.  That's another reason not to be trigger happy on a very marginal Frazier for Westburg platoon benefit.

14 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

As it turned out, Frazier popped out and Mullins and O'Hearn struck out so all you would have done is wasted Mateo and then made our OF defense worse.

Hindsight is 20/20...SMH....Kjerstad is serviceable in RF and Hicks isn't a Goldglover, however McKenna should be on this roster, a good defensive replacement that can hit left handed pitching should have been a priority over a mop up pitcher like Flaherty or even Kjerstad since we know the Ranger feature left handed starters and has 7 lefties on their roster

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, PsychoBird68 said:

Hindsight is 20/20...SMH....Kjerstad is serviceable in RF and Hicks isn't a Goldglover, however McKenna should be on this roster, a good defensive replacement that can hit left handed pitching should have been a priority over a mop up pitcher like Flaherty or even Kjerstad since we know the Ranger feature left handed starters and has 7 lefties on their roster

Yes, this does seem to be a real oversight in how the series roster was formed. McCann bats RH but he's the back-up catcher.

7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Right.  And there's no way Hicks could have ever made contact on that ball.  

Therefore, Gunnar was getting thrown out...no matter what.

It was called a ball but the box shows it was on the outside corner. We've seen Hicks flick those into the opposite field numerous times this season. That he didn't even attempt a swing tells me Aaron missed or misinterpreted the sign--clearly he wasn't expecting Henderson to run. Henderson atypically seemed stunned all the way into the dugout by the whole series of events, as if wtf something didn't happen that was supposed to.

• Upvote 1

At the game and now in hindsight, there were two moves that were most baffling to me, specifically of how early they were: yanking Bradish and pinch-hitting Frazier. There are several others, but if you look at Hyde's "in game" moves, I think he had an 0-fer. I don't believe a single one of them worked out. He may not be the reason we lost, but he didn't do what good managers do, and that's help us win. I get that he led us to 101 wins and must be a great clubhouse presence and motivator. He might run a tight ship and have amazing coaching skills, but he really lacks good decision making during the game. Just go read through 100+ pages posted here. 

It's only a 5 game series, but Means not being on the roster fouled things up.  No avoiding it if it's needed, but I think that's the reason Bradish was pulled early.  They probably think they can get more mileage out of shorter stints from all 13 than allowing any one starter to go deep or finish a game.  Unless Hyde felt that they were getting to him, I was kind of shocked they pulled him so soon.  But maybe it's because of a larger "strategy" with only 4 starters.  Who knows.  Tough loss, but holding the Rangers to 3 runs after the series they just had is something to be proud of.  Let's get a W today.

There were some decisions Hyde made that I mildly disagreed with, but they’ve got nothing to do with why we lost.  We lost because we didn’t hit enough, especially when runners were on base (which wasn’t often enough).   

Go get ‘em today.  

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

At the game and now in hindsight, there were two moves that were most baffling to me, specifically of how early they were: yanking Bradish and pinch-hitting Frazier. There are several others, but if you look at Hyde's "in game" moves, I think he had an 0-fer. I don't believe a single one of them worked out. He may not be the reason we lost, but he didn't do what good managers do, and that's help us win. I get that he led us to 101 wins and must be a great clubhouse presence and motivator. He might run a tight ship and have amazing coaching skills, but he really lacks good decision making during the game. Just go read through 100+ pages posted here. 

The bullpen outside of Webb was pretty dominant. That was partly because of smart timing on the pitching changes, I think. Including pulling Bradish there. 

5 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

The bullpen outside of Webb was pretty dominant. That was partly because of smart timing on the pitching changes, I think. Including pulling Bradish there. 

While overall the pitching worked, look at this:

Coloumbe comes in, walks the first batter

Webb comes in, gives up the game winning HR

Hall comes in, walks the first batter

Perez comes in, walks the first batter

If you were bringing in the pitcher to face that specific batter, it didn't work 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, drjohnnyfever1 said:

It's only a 5 game series, but Means not being on the roster fouled things up.  No avoiding it if it's needed, but I think that's the reason Bradish was pulled early.  They probably think they can get more mileage out of shorter stints from all 13 than allowing any one starter to go deep or finish a game.  Unless Hyde felt that they were getting to him, I was kind of shocked they pulled him so soon.  But maybe it's because of a larger "strategy" with only 4 starters.  Who knows.  Tough loss, but holding the Rangers to 3 runs after the series they just had is something to be proud of.  Let's get a W today.

I wonder if he is thinking about pitching Bradish in some capacity in Game 4 on Wednesday. That would be three days rest. May have decided once we were down that it wasn't worth extending Bradish any more, either to preserve the short rest option or to keep him fresh for Game 5. Plus at that point in the order you had LHB/SH/LHB so there was no matchup advantage to keeping him in longer. 

The question for me, if Bradish is extended, who is our RHP to match up with their RHB's? Do you skip Coulombe and end up with Webb coming in at the same spot? Or end up with Coulombe vs Jung, which is arguably a worse matchup? 

14 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I wonder if he is thinking about pitching Bradish in some capacity in Game 4 on Wednesday. That would be three days rest. May have decided once we were down that it wasn't worth extending Bradish any more, either to preserve the short rest option or to keep him fresh for Game 5. Plus at that point in the order you had LHB/SH/LHB so there was no matchup advantage to keeping him in longer. 

The question for me, if Bradish is extended, who is our RHP to match up with their RHB's? Do you skip Coulombe and end up with Webb coming in at the same spot? Or end up with Coulombe vs Jung, which is arguably a worse matchup? 

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but it's game 1 of a 5 game series. He really should manage to win that game and worry about game 4 or 5 as the series goes along. There may not be a need for game 4 or 5.