The second guessing Hyde thread.

Moose Milligan

46 minutes ago, Philip said:

And it would send a clear sign to the team to shape up.

You seem to be suggesting that one of the team's biggest problems is that they don't really care.  They show up, they goof around a while, then they go home.  Can't say I agree with that entire concept.  I think they lose more than they win because they're not quite as talented as the other teams.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

You seem to be suggesting that one of the team's biggest problems is that they don't really care.  They show up, they goof around a while, then they go home.  Can't say I agree with that entire concept.  I think they lose more than they win because they're not quite as talented as the other teams.

And I would take it a step further to say that during Hyde's tenure, I believe this team has demonstrably shown that they don't quit when they get down.  They've had more than their fair share of games where the pitching has been awful and they have fallen behind but have mounted a comeback and gotten back in the game, even if they have eventually wound up losing.

Certainly there are instances of carelessness, and we notice every one of them.   Franco not running out that ground ball where the 1Bman wound up bobbling it.   Severino being lackadaisical behind the plate.   It's unrealistic to expect there to be absolutely zero instances of this kind of thing.   When it's persistent with one player, as it seems to be with Severino, maybe that is one situation where a manager can make a difference.   But every team is going to have those moments.   And I don't think the Orioles are particularly bad in that respect, and I have seen plenty of evidence that even in losing season after losing season they don't give up very often.   I didn't see Sunday's game but we were down 10-1 and got back to within 2 or 3, right?

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, SteveA said:

And I would take it a step further to say that during Hyde's tenure, I believe this team has demonstrably shown that they don't quit when they get down.  They've had more than their fair share of games where the pitching has been awful and they have fallen behind but have mounted a comeback and gotten back in the game, even if they have eventually wound up losing.

Certainly there are instances of carelessness, and we notice every one of them.   Franco not running out that ground ball where the 1Bman wound up bobbling it.   Severino being lackadaisical behind the plate.   It's unrealistic to expect there to be absolutely zero instances of this kind of thing.   When it's persistent with one player, as it seems to be with Severino, maybe that is one situation where a manager can make a difference.   But every team is going to have those moments.   And I don't think the Orioles are particularly bad in that respect, and I have seen plenty of evidence that even in losing season after losing season they don't give up very often.   I didn't see Sunday's game but we were down 10-1 and got back to within 2 or 3, right?

I have no problem at all with how Hyde is managing the clubhouse.   His players play plenty hard for the most part.    

6 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The teams biggest problem is that they are sloppy. Careless. Everyone makes careless mistakes occasionally but the Orioles are making it into an Olympic sport.  When Severino throws to an empty base, that’s careless, it’s stupid. It has nothing to do with talent.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Question:   If Hyde had pinch run Ruiz for Franco, do you think Ruiz would have scored?

I think it’s more likely. Unless the 3B coach held him (did Hyde answer that?) Valaika would have made the smart play to go halfway, and I prefer Valaika over Ruiz anyway.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Question:   If Hyde had pinch run Ruiz for Franco, do you think Ruiz would have scored?

They probably would have called Ruiz out for entering the game in a different spot in the lineup than he already occupied.   

That aside, it did occur to me that the play arguably showed why Hyde pinch ran Ruiz for Franco the other night.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Might have to chalk this up to Elias. 26 man roster and we’re still playing with a 3 man bench. With the new extra inning rules do we really need all those pitchers to cover innings? We’re losing games because we need 3+ LR options at all times. 

Stevie Wilkerson seems like the perfect 4th bench guy at the moment. He’s not a prospect so we don’t care about him sitting on the bench. He’s competent in the IF/OF.  He’s fast and a good base runner. He can eat an inning in a blowout by pitching. Heck, or save a game. Did that happen???

I was behind in the DVR as it was live but did not like the choice to let Zimmermann take his at-bat in the Top of the 5th.   Those 27 outs are precious, and it's not like the privilege of Inning #5 for that caliber of pitcher is any great shakes.   There's an off day tomorrow.

Tate hasn't pitched since Friday, Sulser fresh from AAA, Wells hasn't pitched in too long.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

I was behind in the DVR as it was live but did not like the choice to let Zimmermann take his at-bat in the Top of the 5th.   Those 27 outs are precious, and it's not like the privilege of Inning #5 for that caliber of pitcher is any great shakes.   There's an off day tomorrow.

Tate hasn't pitched since Friday, Sulser fresh from AAA, Wells hasn't pitched in too long.

I wasn’t bothered by it but then he yanks him with 2 outs in bottom of inning. I assumed he didn’t hit because of obviously no runs as well as 4 LH bats on bench. 

Terrible pitch selection to Aguilar- on pitcher and catcher. 

Then with RH batter up brings in Sulser who is reverse splits guy with an off day tomorrow. Would not have minded him facing a lefty. Let Zimmerman face next batter. Sulser is not someone who should be facing a RH with men on base. 

• Upvote 1

o

I think that the Orioles would have been better off taking 2 out of 3 games from Athletics this past weekend, instead of just salvaging the final game of the series to avoid the sweep ...... bad decision by Hyde to only win one of them.

o