Play by Play Announcers

SteveA

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who noticed.  I honestly couldn’t believe he came up with that.   

Overall I’m very pleased with how Brown has developed over his three years here.   At first he was a little aloof, and described the game well but without conveying much excitement or the sense that the game was interesting.   He’s really come around on that score.   I see no reason he can’t develop into a broadcaster that O’s fans will view with the same fondness they had for Thompson, Miller, Angel and Thorne.   It just takes time.    

I agree with this and think he has improved rapidly. I started to enjoy him more last year when he started doing television broadcasts with Ben. I think they have good chemistry, are kind of lan odd couple that works, and I find them entertaining. 

Ben and Kevin find a way to make me laugh through the losing most games. Last night they were talking about when Ben’s wife won an auction. Last year, a moment that stands out was I when Ben told him that he had never owned a computer. The humor in addition to the fact that I think they do a solid job calling games makes them a pretty good team in my opinion.

There are many I could complain about now, but I don’t view Kevin Brown and Ben McDonald as one of them.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

I agree with this and think he has improved rapidly. I started to enjoy him more last year when he started doing television broadcasts with Ben. I think they have good chemistry, are kind of lan odd couple that works, and I find them entertaining. 

Ben and Kevin find a way to make me laugh through the losing most games. Last night they were talking about when Ben’s wife won an auction. Last year, a moment that stands out was I when Ben told him that he had never owned a computer. The humor in addition to the fact that I think they do a solid job calling games makes them a pretty good team in my opinion.

There are many I could complain about now, but I don’t view Kevin Brown and Ben McDonald as one of them.

Enjoy them this afternoon.

I believe Garceau and Palmer start a stretch on MASN as of tomorrow's game.

9 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Palmer is still a gem but Garcaeu is Bobby Carpenter without the ok home run call. Dude has the personality of drift wood 

Scott Garceau used to call games for the Orioles on television in the early 90's and I remember him being decent back then. Now I can't stand him calling games and he puts me to sleep. 

4 hours ago, Ruzious said:

You'd be surprised at how bad other team's announcers are.  I was listening on Sirius the other day to a Yankees broadcast, and it was awful.  They had an older sounding gentleman doing the play-by-play as if he never saw a baseball game in his life and a lady who sounded like your stereotypical middle-aged NYer.  She actually wasn't terrible, but she had anything but a baseball announcer's delivery.  

I don't think anyone is worse than Bob Carpenter.  I watch the Nationals games sometimes just so I can laugh at him and FP. 

1 minute ago, Yardball85 said:

How long has Garceau been away for?  Seems like it's been at least a month.  Hope everything is okay with him physically. 

I think it's just scheduled.   And I don't think it's been quite that long.

It does seem like they have settled into a Garceau/Palmer and Brown/McDonald pairings, as the last couple times the PBP guy (Garceau/Brown) has switched out, the analyst has switched at the same time.

Only difference is that when Brown isn't doing TV PBP, he will sometimes be doing radio work.  When Garceau is off TV, he is off.

13 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

I don't think anyone is worse than Bob Carpenter.  I watch the Nationals games sometimes just so I can laugh at him and FP. 

What is it that Carpenter does that's so bad?  I'm asking so I can learn to be more cynical and jaded.  

10 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

What is it that Carpenter does that's so bad?  I'm asking so I can learn to be more cynical and jaded.  

I don't watch a lot of Nats games [at least not with the with the sound up.   I'll often put them on TV#2 with no sound down if they are the most interesting game besides the O's or whatever I am watching on the big screen].

But when I do watch, he seems OK.   Competent, conversational.  FP is goofy, you just have to get used to that.   He's got an odd sense of humor.   I remember watching when it was Bring Your Dog to the Park day and they would show a terrier in the stands and he would say "That's a St Bernard".   Then they'd show a German Shepherd, and he's say that's a Chihuahua.   Just goofy.   Probably an acquired taste, I know Nats fans who are of otherwise sound mind, and they love him.

It actually reminded me somewhat of the old shtick Bill O'Donnell used to do at O's games.  A fan would catch a foul ball and Bill would tell you with a straight face, that fellow is from Dundalk, or Monkton, or wherever.   He didn't know, but he'd just say it, always mentioning a different town in Maryland.  Growing up in Ellicott City I always waited for someone from EC to catch a ball but I don't think I ever heard it.   

5 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I don't watch a lot of Nats games [at least not with the with the sound up.   I'll often put them on TV#2 with no sound down if they are the most interesting game besides the O's or whatever I am watching on the big screen].

But when I do watch, he seems OK.   Competent, conversational.  FP is goofy, you just have to get used to that.   He's got an odd sense of humor.   I remember watching when it was Bring Your Dog to the Park day and they would show a terrier in the stands and he would say "That's a St Bernard".   Then they'd show a German Shepherd, and he's say that's a Chihuahua.   Just goofy.   Probably an acquired taste, I know Nats fans who are of otherwise sound mind, and they love him.

It actually reminded me somewhat of the old shtick Bill O'Donnell used to do at O's games.  A fan would catch a foul ball and Bill would tell you with a straight face, that fellow is from Dundalk, or Monkton, or wherever.   He didn't know, but he'd just say it, always mentioning a different town in Maryland.  Growing up in Ellicott City I always waited for someone from EC to catch a ball but I don't think I ever heard it.   

Whoa, Bill O'Donnell was even far more bland than Carpenter is.  At least on air, I don't remember him ever trying to show a sense of humor.  As far as FP, I guess we just have different tastes, but I couldn't think of anyone who's more different from him than Bill O'Donnell was.    

Just now, Ruzious said:

Whoa, Bill O'Donnell was even far more bland than Carpenter is.  At least on air, I don't remember him ever trying to show a sense of humor.  As far as FP, I guess we just have different tastes, but I couldn't think of anyone who's more different from him than Bill O'Donnell was.    

Yeah, he was.  As a kid, when I was staying up past my allowed bedtime with a transistor radio under the covers to my ear to listen to the game, if Bill was doing the game I would often fall asleep, while if Chuck was doing the game I could usually stay awake.

Yeah, I wasn't really comparing Bill to FP, just that somehow the shtick where FP was misidentifying dogs for some reason brought to mind the thing Bill used to do where he would pretend to know where the fan that caught a foul ball was from.

The one thing that Bill did that drove me crazy, even as a kid, was when he would use the -wise suffix all the time.   "Batting-wise, George Brett is a heck of a good hitter".   "Glove-wise, you won't find a better fielder than Mark Belanger".

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The cardboard box that just arrived from Amazon with my latest delivery has more flavor than Bob Carpenter.  

At least I can understand where you're coming from there - as opposed to Steve's comp of FP to Bill O'Donnell.  I think Carpenter's dry old-school style works really well with FP's more youthful style.  Together, they blend really well.  

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Yeah, he was.  As a kid, when I was staying up past my allowed bedtime with a transistor radio under the covers to my ear to listen to the game, if Bill was doing the game I would often fall asleep, while if Chuck was doing the game I could usually stay awake.

Yeah, I wasn't really comparing Bill to FP, just that somehow the shtick where FP was misidentifying dogs for some reason brought to mind the thing Bill used to do where he would pretend to know where the fan that caught a foul ball was from.

The one thing that Bill did that drove me crazy, even as a kid, was when he would use the -wise suffix all the time.   "Batting-wise, George Brett is a heck of a good hitter".   "Glove-wise, you won't find a better fielder than Mark Belanger".

Ok, now I see what you're getting at.  I was the same way with Chuck and Bill - couldn't wait to get past Bill's innings so I could hear Uncle Chuck.  Man, Chuck had such a great delivery.