2021 Aberdeen Ironbirds Roster activity and discussion

Tony-OH

Pitchers: Felix Bautista, Kyle Brnovich, Garrett Farmer, Connor Gillispie, Blaine Knight, Dallas Litscher, Easton Lucas, Kevin Magee, Clayton McGinness, Morgan McSweeney, Jonathan Pendergast, Grayson Rodriguez, Drew Rom, Nick Roth, Garrett Stallings, Kade Strowd, Ryan Wilson

Catchers: Christopher Burgess, Maverick Handley, Cody Roberts

Infielders: Andrew Daschbach, AJ Graffanino, Adam Hall, Andrew Martinez, Joey Ortiz, Toby Welk

Outfielders: Shayne Fontana, Kyle Stowers, Johnny Rizer, Zach Watson

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Surprised to see Rodriguez starting in Aberdeen.  Would have thought that he would have made the jump to Bowie.

I thought that was possible too.  I think this year we will see more than the usual number of promotions and demotions depending on how players are doing.   I wouldn’t expect the O’s to wait 2 months to promote Rodriguez if he’s dominating like we hope.   

Several guys on the Aberdeen staff who never pitched at Delmarva.   So, they went from short season A to hi A without ever leaving Aberdeen!    Connor Gillispie, Kade Strowd, Morgan McSweeney and Jonathan Pendergast all made that jump.   Pendergast may be the most surprising of the four, as he mostly pitched in the GCL in 2019 and pitched only 3 innings in the NY-Penn League.  He’s a 28th rounder who received a signing bonus of $1,000.

• Upvote 1

All three of our Stanford draftees from 2019 — Kyle Stowers (2nd round), Maverick Handley (6th) and Andrew Daschbach (11th) — jumped to from the NY-Penn to Hi A, along with 4th rounder Joey Ortiz and 23rd rounder Shayne Fontana ($1,000 signing bonus).   

One big surprise here is 2B/SS/3B Andrew Martinez, our 2019 24th rounder.  He posted a .573 OPS in the GCL in 2019.    I wouldn’t have thought he’d jump to Hi A while Westburg, Servideo and Henderson go to Delmarva.

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

One big surprise here is 2B/SS/3B Andrew Martinez, our 2019 24th rounder.  He posted a .573 OPS in the GCL in 2019.    I wouldn’t have thought he’d jump to Hi A while Westburg, Servideo and Henderson go to Delmarva.

Sometimes you need that backup middle infielder that can just fill in when needed but is not a priority play.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I thought Gunnar would be here or even Bowie.  Maybe all the press about him being impressive was just words to fill columns?

Maybe, but more likely the O’s are just being cautious and making him prove himself at the lower levels.  The O’s never said anything about where he would start, but realistically, Bowie was never on the table.   

On 4/30/2021 at 2:41 PM, Tony-OH said:

Primary Plays
C- Handley
1B: Daschbach
2B: Hall
SS: Ortiz
3B: Welk
UTL Graffanino will play some SS with Ortiz maybe playing some 2B and 3B.
LF: Rizer
CF: Watson
RF: Stowers

Does this mean that Hall is no longer a SS prospect?