2021 Orioles Prospect Power Rankings (Top 50)

Tony-OH

2 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

FYI, Tony, you still have Grayson in High A

The rankings will be updated tonight with all the updated info. Thanks though.

Some big jumps this week after watching some pitching performances.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Updated as of 8 June. 

Big jump for Ofelky Peralta who is commanding two pitches, while throwing his change decently. With a Fastball sitting at 96-98, with a new repeatable delivery, he's back on the scene.

Lots of positive stories on the list.  

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Updated as of 8 June. 

Big jump for Ofelky Peralta who is commanding two pitches, while throwing his change decently. With a Fastball sitting at 96-98, with a new repeatable delivery, he's back on the scene.

Johnny Rizer is moving up the list fast as well.  He keeps putting up good numbers at each stop.  I liked him as under radar guy but now looks to be getting on radar.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

Johnny Rizer is moving up the list fast as well.  He keeps putting up good numbers at each stop.  I liked him as under radar guy but now looks to be getting on radar.

Every time I watch him he hits. He can turn on good fastballs, go the other way, and he seems to hang in against breaking pitches and offspeed. He has gap power and probably only has average speed, so his ceiling is limited, but I can see him being a solid 4th outfielder.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Tony-OH Great idea to update this. What’s keeping Zach Watson low?  The K’s?  He’s basically on pace for 20/20 type numbers through his first 60 professional games. Not bad for a CF. Also, I realize he’s 24. 

It’s good to see guys like Haskin, Rizer, and Watson, all in the top 40 as CF prospects. 

We also talked about Elias building the organizational depth outside the top 25/30. Well you just did a top 40 and these are guys that don’t seem like reaches. Add in. Another draft with a big bonus pool, then whatever the trade deadline brings, and you’re talking about making a legit top 50-60 list. Just some hope for the future. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

@Tony-OH Great idea to update this. What’s keeping Zach Watson low?  The K’s?  He’s basically on pace for 20/20 type numbers through his first 60 professional games. Not bad for a CF. Also, I realize he’s 24. 

It’s good to see guys like Haskin, Rizer, and Watson, all in the top 40 as CF prospects. 

We also talked about Elias building the organizational depth outside the top 25/30. Well you just did a top 40 and these are guys that don’t seem like reaches. Add in. Another draft with a big bonus pool, then whatever the trade deadline brings, and you’re talking about making a legit top 50-60 list. Just some hope for the future. 

He could become a bubble guy in a bit, but seems like every game I watch he does very little and struggles with off-speed pitches. I'm not a fan of the swing and the K-BB concerns me combined with the low average. I just need to see a little more production from him and see better adjustments to off-speed pitches.

He has been pretty hot over his last 11 games (.325/.349/.775/1.124 over 43 PAs) and of course his two homer night last night bumped his numbers.

He does have some occasional power and his speed and defense are pretty solid, but at 24 at High-A, he's a little long in the tooth to not be dominating. Saying that, Toby's Welk's lack of power and poor defense at 3B could see him switch places with Watson on the power rankings.

It will be interesting to see if Watson has made some adjustments or if he's just on a hot streak. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hazmat said:

Massive jump for Grenier from #40 up to #26.  I'm surprised to still see Servideo ranked above Ortiz.  It will be interesting to see where these 3 land as the rankings continue to be updated.

You can certainly build a case for Ortiz over Servideo, and he very well jump him this year, but look at how Ortiz hit in his professional debut in New York Penn League action vs Servideo in the Sally League? i like the plate discipline for Servideo but he need to start hitting the ball with more authority as the season goes on to stay where he is on the list.

29 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You can certainly build a case for Ortiz over Servideo, and he very well jump him this year, but look at how Ortiz hit in his professional debut in New York Penn League action vs Servideo in the Sally League? i like the plate discipline for Servideo but he need to start hitting the ball with more authority as the season goes on to stay where he is on the list.

Keith Law saw Ortiz in Aberdeen early this year and noted that he looks stronger, has more loft in his swing, and was able to hit velocity that he was previously unable to catch up to.

Big jump for Jahmai Jones as well.  Has his defense at 2B improved?  Can we expect to see him in Baltimore soon?

Doran Turchin back on the radar.  .975 OPS in 50 plate appearances in Bowie.  I remember the scouting report on him was that he was an athletic outfielder with power but the hit tool was questionable.  He struggled in Delmarva as a 21 year old.  Has he made adjustments?  Still only 23 years old.  

It seems everyone at Bowie is hitting right now.  Norfolk could use the help. 

28 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

Keith Law saw Ortiz in Aberdeen early this year and noted that he looks stronger, has more loft in his swing, and was able to hit velocity that he was previously unable to catch up to.

Yes, we've discussed a few times the fact that Ortiz has gotten bigger since 2019. He's hitting the ball pretty well, especially considering the quick promotions from Low-A to AA.