Is this team bad enough for the number 1 pick?

Greenpastures23

On 5/22/2021 at 9:19 PM, LocoChris said:

Probably not. They’re horrendous right now but it’s a long season. 

Changing my mind on this. They are bad enough. I wouldn’t be too sad about it. Elijah Green sounds like a generational talent. 

22 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Not Kumar? 

There's a chance he will be there when the O's select at #5. I would be happy if they took him.  I have a feeling Elias will do something like last year and take a cheaper prospect to get more in the later rounds.  With the way we are playing, we will probably go for the bigger name sign in the 2022 Draft.

Just now, ScGO's said:

There's a chance he will be there when the O's select at #5. I would be happy if they took him.  I have a feeling Elias will do something like last year and take a cheaper prospect to get more in the later rounds.  With the way we are playing, we will probably go for the bigger name sign in the 2022 Draft.

It's a questionable strategy when you have the largest draft pool in a draft. 

It's beyond questionable when you don't.  What's the end game, they get a third round talent in the fifth round?  For that you want to gainsay the BPA at 5?

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's beyond questionable when you don't.  What's the end game, they get a third round talent in the fifth round?  For that you want to gainsay the BPA at 5?

I’d never draw a hard and fast line.   It depends whether you feel there is one super clear choice at the spot where you are picking.   Let’s say there are two guys you like at no. 5, snd the one you slightly prefer wants $1 mm more than the other guy you like is willing to take.   In that scenario I can see taking the cheaper guy and spending the money elsewhere.   But I wouldn’t do it if you thought one guy available at 5 was clearly superior to the other choices.    

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I seriously don't understand why this is being discussed as if it's already happened. Elias has had 1 normal draft and in that draft he paid the highest bonus ever to the clear top player. The next draft was 5 rounds and after Torkleson (who is not a particularly great #1 pick) there was no consensus top player. Other teams decided Martin was not the BPA and it made sense to make the most out of all 5 picks you have when there isn't a guy you considered a can't miss prospect at #2. All we have is rumors now that the O's will go underslot in this draft. But it should be noted that this draft is considered very light at the top so it would make sense if that were to happen. Outside of the top two HS SS who won't be there, is there anyone you consider a can't miss prospect if they were around at pick 5? 

2 minutes ago, LTO's said:

I seriously don't understand why this is being discussed as if it's already happened. Elias has had 1 normal draft and in that draft he paid the highest bonus ever to the clear top player. The next draft was 5 rounds and after Torkleson (who is not a particularly great #1 pick) there was no consensus top player. Other teams decided Martin was not the BPA and it made sense to make the most out of all 5 picks you have when there isn't a guy you considered a can't miss prospect at #2. All we have is rumors now that the O's will go underslot in this draft. But it should be noted that this draft is considered very light at the top so it would make sense if that were to happen. Outside of the top two HS SS who won't be there, is there anyone you consider a can't miss prospect if they were around at pick 5? 

You are never going to get a can't miss prospect at #5.

But I'd rather have the guy on my board at 5 over the guy at 10 and the guy at 196.

I do think it is slightly unfair to brand that the O's will do this as a matter of policy.  This being the take a lower prospect who will take lower money.  He did it last year but paid the highest amount ever with Adley.  I will say, that it is not clear that the Orioles finances are not a strong consideration.  The past makes that and likely drives the rumor or perception that the O's will always go the cheaper route.  

I hope Elias has the lattitude to do what he thinks is best...

Just now, foxfield said:

I do think it is slightly unfair to brand that the O's will do this as a matter of policy.  This being the take a lower prospect who will take lower money.  He did it last year but paid the highest amount ever with Adley.  I will say, that it is not clear that the Orioles finances are not a strong consideration.  The past makes that and likely drives the rumor or perception that the O's will always go the cheaper route.  

I hope Elias has the lattitude to do what he thinks is best...

You mean he paid the highest to date.  Torkelson got more last year.

I find it funny that folks keep wanting to mention how much Elias gave AR.  The pool number for 1-1 keeps going up, in a general sense it shouldn't be surprising that the signing bonus also keeps increasing.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You mean he paid the highest to date.  Torkelson got more last year.

I find it funny that folks keep wanting to mention how much Elias gave AR.  The pool number for 1-1 keeps going up, in a general sense it shouldn't be surprising that the signing bonus also keeps increasing.

I don't care about the actual amount in dollars.  He's had 2 drafts. In one of them he drafted the consensus best player and gave him the most money.  In the 2nd he used a different strategy to save money and spend later.

You can disagree with either approach, but I fully agree with those who say it's unfair to brand him as a guy that prefers one strategy over the other.