Is this team bad enough for the number 1 pick?

Greenpastures23

6 hours ago, LocoChris said:

I don’t understand drafting for need  rather than drafting the best player available. If drafting the best player creates a surplus is one position, then make a trade. 

Honestly Davis isn’t a catcher in the majors so non issue regardless. Agree with point!

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Clearly Martin was the BPA by every major outlet.

if he is going to play the slot game it won’t be BPA

Martin was overrated in my opinion.  Good player but if he doesnt hit for power and can’t stay at SS, not only would I have preferred Kjerstad, I would have also preferred Gonzalez and Veen(Veen is who I wish they picked).

Either way, it’s very possible the Os had Kjerstad rated ahead of Martin.

57 minutes ago, NelsonCruuuuuz said:

He was and good, but Lacy is the guy I wanted.

Mayer was the pitcher to take if they were taking one.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Martin was overrated in my opinion.  Good player but if he doesnt hit for power and can’t stay at SS, not only would I have preferred Kjerstad, I would have also preferred Gonzalez and Veen(Veen is who I wish they picked).

I loved Gonzalez!

11 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Clearly Martin was the BPA by every major outlet.

if he is going to play the slot game it won’t be BPA

If too many GMs start playing the slot game then it becomes less efficient. 

I wanted Martin but I have to admit that other than injuries, that just happen sometimes, that last year’s draft class is looking good. Westburg and Haskin have been killing and at premium positions. Kjerstad could very well be crushing Aberdeen right now if not for a rare heart condition. Mayo has boom potential as well. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/14/2021 at 7:19 PM, Sports Guy said:

Well so far Martin has 10 XBH in 30 ABs and a 800+ OPS despite starting in AA. He could be in AAA by the end of the year and see the bigs next. So I’d say he’s answering his critics.

7 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Well so far Martin has 10 XBH in 30 ABs and a 800+ OPS despite starting in AA. He could be in AAA by the end of the year and see the bigs next. So I’d say he’s answering his critics.

His OPS is currently 799 and his slugging is barely over 400.

No one questioned his hit tool.  No one said he couldn’t/wouldn’t take a walk.

The problem is that slugging %.  If he doesn’t hit for power, which was a worry about him, will teams challenge him more, thus making it harder for him to get on base?  

He had 2 questions…power and can he stay at SS.  So far, in a very SSS, the power questions are valid.  

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

We have lost 4 games to the Diamond backs in the last month and we have only won 6 games. The D-Backs are 2-26 in the last month.  

They are really bad. I check their scores usually once at night and then once the next day and some of the leads they’ve blown is just awful. I don’t think we are as bad as them this year.

Edited by osravensfan78