When should the O’s call up Rutschman?

Frobby

When should the O’s call up Rutschman?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. When should the O’s call up Rutschman?

• Now - he’s as ready as he needs to be and will benefit from the experience
    • Later this summer if he continues to do well in AA
    • He should get promoted to AAA soon and get called up later if he does well there
    • September call-up, only if he keeps doing well
    • Opening Day 2022
    • Not until service time deadline for free agency passes in 2022
    • Not until Super-2 status is likely passed in 2022

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 06/12/21 at 01:11

40 man roster space for the Rule 5 draft.

Neither Rutschman nor Grayson have to be protected in the Rule 5 draft if they stay in the minors.   The O's have a lot of minor leaguers that are doing well this season that do have to be protected or exposed.

Elias will want to keep as many of this player as he can.

I think they wait until April to promote both these players.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

40 man roster space for the Rule 5 draft.

Neither Rutschman nor Grayson have to be protected in the Rule 5 draft if they stay in the minors.   The O's have a lot of minor leaguers that are doing well this season that do have to be protected or exposed.

Elias will want to keep as many of this player as he can.

I think they wait until April to promote both these players.

This is meaningless.

There are at least 15 current players who easily could be cut or have their contracts expire that are on the 40 man.

That does not include Davis or any trades that could be made.

If this is part of Elias’ thinking, he shouldn’t have a job running a team.

7 hours ago, Explosivo said:

Wrong as always.

Considering your lack of knowledge, this is a compliment coming from you.

Btw, there will be a lot of young pitching up here, especially in the second half.  Why wouldn’t you want Adley working with those guys?

End of the day, not catching guys for a few starts means nothing.  GRod and Hall have had a ton of success without Adley back there before, so I’m sure they will be able to figure it out if he was up here.

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

The idea that there is no reason to bring him up this year is just completely false.  

When do you guys want to be good?  Do you think we can just bring these guys up, snap our fingers and boom, they are instantly good? 

Give him experience this year and have him ready to roll next year.  He is already 23.

The original question is a trick question.  The key word being should as in when should the Orioles call up Rutchman?  Not When will Rutchman be ready to call up.

SG is spot on with the post above, but it's not a complete answer because it's too grounded in the idea that Rutchman is probably ready and at 23 there really isn't much reason to slow roll him.  The reality is more complex.  We are in transition.  I don't mean from losing 14 to winning.  I mean the time where what happens at the ML matters is upon us.  Next season will matter in ways that this season and the last two have not.  

The question as SG notes above is you that you really cannot drop a bunch of guys on the roster and just snap your fingers and boom, they are instantly good.  But the economics of certain players clocks are a real factor too. Decisions on the top prospects are coming.  That's a good thing.  But it seems clear that once Elias starts the ascension it will not just be Adley...but that others will follow pretty soon.  Again, I think that is great, and I think the time is coming.  The proverbial "window" is not upon us, but the ML phase of the rebuild is.

My head agrees that Adley is ready today, but my gut says Elias allows as much time in AA as he can and we see AR in Sept.  Fully paving way for the flow of talent to the ML level next year, because in 22, placeholders will need to play for the Pirates and not the Orioles.

IMHO

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

The original question is a trick question.  The key word being should as in when should the Orioles call up Rutchman?  Not When will Rutchman be ready to call up.

SG is spot on with the post above, but it's not a complete answer because it's too grounded in the idea that Rutchman is probably ready and at 23 there really isn't much reason to slow roll him.  The reality is more complex.  We are in transition.  I don't mean from losing 14 to winning.  I mean the time where what happens at the ML matters is upon us.  Next season will matter in ways that this season and the last two have not.  

The question as SG notes above is you that you really cannot drop a bunch of guys on the roster and just snap your fingers and boom, they are instantly good.  But the economics of certain players clocks are a real factor too. Decisions on the top prospects are coming.  That's a good thing.  But it seems clear that once Elias starts the ascension it will not just be Adley...but that others will follow pretty soon.  Again, I think that is great, and I think the time is coming.  The proverbial "window" is not upon us, but the ML phase of the rebuild is.

My head agrees that Adley is ready today, but my gut says Elias allows as much time in AA as he can and we see AR in Sept.  Fully paving way for the flow of talent to the ML level next year, because in 22, placeholders will need to play for the Pirates and not the Orioles.

IMHO

Adleys service time isn’t impacted if you call him up today or in Sept unless he is still within the super 2 as of now, which is more about money than service time.

The team has already gained the extra year for him this year.  

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Adleys service time isn’t impacted if you call him up today or in Sept unless he is still within the super 2 as of now, which is more about money than service time.

The team has already gained the extra year for him this year.  

I agree, he is ready and I agree the "extra" year for him this year has been obtained.  I believe as I said above that bringing AR up announces the next phase and I think that does not happen until after the draft and probably not until Sept.

The day AR is brought up the focus turns to Grod and Hall.  The next phase will be here.  They are all coming and once it starts it's gonna look different and expectations will be different.  I just think we are going to remain idle at the ML level as long as possible this year.  And I think this isn't about AR but the flow of talent to the ML roster that once AR arrives will begin flowing.  But your point that you cant just bring em all up at once is also true.  

I just think it starts in Sept.  I didn't answer the poll because the poll says IF he keeps playing well.  I think he is good enough now. 

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

I agree, he is ready and I agree the "extra" year for him this year has been obtained.  I believe as I said above that bringing AR up announces the next phase and I think that does not happen until after the draft and probably not until Sept.

The day AR is brought up the focus turns to Grod and Hall.  The next phase will be here.  They are all coming and once it starts it's gonna look different and expectations will be different.  I just think we are going to remain idle at the ML level as long as possible this year.  And I think this isn't about AR but the flow of talent to the ML roster that once AR arrives will begin flowing.  But your point that you cant just bring em all up at once is also true.  

I just think it starts in Sept.  I didn't answer the poll because the poll says IF he keeps playing well.  I think he is good enough now. 

But, if you wait until this time next year, you get his age 30 season and who doesn't want a catcher's age 30 season?

Assuming of course that the rules don't change with the new CBA.