Rays are calling up MLB’s #1 prospect(Wander Franco). Will MLB’s #2 prospect(Adley) be next?

higgybaby

9 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I'm not sure what things will look like in 2022 if COVID is totally behind us, but a lot of money that is normally spent on entertainment was not spent these last two years. Whether all of that money is ultimately never spent or whether there may be a bump where discretionary spending increases post-COVID, I can't say for sure.

That is a great point about rebuilding the season ticket base, will be something to keep an eye on. I don't think the entire Baltimore metro area will forget how to go to an O's game though.

Depends how competitive the team is.   It can bounce back quickly (but not necessarily to prior levels) if the team plays well.    But I think a lot of the people who got out of the habit of going to O’s games the last two years won’t be in any hurry to come back while the team is bad.   

42 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Here are the points Tony Clark recently outlined

1. Universal  DH

2. Expanded Playoffs

3. A systemic change to the way players are paid and revenue sharing is set up

4, Address tanking

5. Change the way younger players are compensated

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/03/25/tony-clark-mlbpa-labor-negotiations-start/

I have exactly zero confidence in the ability of Tony Clark to accomplish any of that, unless the owners want it as well. Meanwhile number five is where free agency would come into play, and that is what’s going to get the lions share of the effort. Remember that when he says “younger players“ he’s only talking about members of the MLB players association which does not include the minor leaguers 

9 minutes ago, Philip said:

I have exactly zero confidence in the ability of Tony Clark to accomplish any of that, unless the owners want it as well. Meanwhile number five is where free agency would come into play, and that is what’s going to get the lions share of the effort. Remember that when he says “younger players“ he’s only talking about members of the MLB players association which does not include the minor leaguers 

There is no way to know that.

44 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/26794343/passan-how-wander-franco-became-mlb-next-miss-kid

ESPN re-listed this fine Jeff Passan piece from two years ago with Wander arriving tomorrow.

I had forgotten/never knew he was on the spending limits border, or probably would have been a Yankee.

interesting tidbits on 2018 minors population being over half non-US (very few Orioles then, natch), and only three 2019 first rounders from draft being younger than Wander.   Gunnar was not a first rounder at 2-42, but is one of the Class of 2019 high schoolers slightly younger than Franco.

Thanks for the article. That was really good.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I’m not as confident of this as you.   Even though his MiL OPS is good, I still have the sense that he’s not hitting as well as I’d like.   I am not saying you’re wrong, just that I’m not so sure yet.   

What more do you want him to do?  His BB rate is very high, his K rate is relatively low, he is hitting for average and power.

You expect way too much.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think it’s always a benefit.   It depends how ready the player is to handle the jump.   I wouldn’t put someone in the pilot’s seat of a fighter jet who hadn’t mastered driving a car yet.   

How ready is Rutschman?    I’m not completely sure.   Probably ready enough to keep his head above water.   He might look like DJ Stewart with the bat if you brought him up now - which certainly isn’t horrible for a catcher.  

2021 Stats.

DJ Stewart 707 OPS

Severino 639 OPS

Sisco 431 OPS

Wynns 375 OPS

I'll take Stewart offense and a plus glove at Catcher thanks.

17 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Excited to see Franco.  He's been killing it in AAA.  

I watched him against Norfolk and he's really special offensively. They have themselves a good one for sure. 

If the Orioles were contending like Tampa, Rutschman would be here because he's better than Severino and Wynns. But I doubt Elias is going to start his clock in a last place year.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

I watched him against Norfolk and he's really special offensively. They have themselves a good one for sure. 

If the Orioles were contending like Tampa, Rutschman would be here because he's better than Severino and Wynns. But I doubt Elias is going to start his clock in a last place year.

Barring changes to the CBA, which we can't forsee.

Does your statement hold true for 2022? 

If the O's flat out stink next year does Elias continue to hold back players like Rutschman?

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If the O's flat out stink next year does Elias continue to hold back players like Rutschman?

I can bet that whatever happens, you'll be complaining about service clock time.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I sure hope not. Rutschman should be up here and starting next year. He'll be 24 years old and will have a full season of minor league ball under his belt including I'll assume half a year of AAA. 

The Orioles would have him under team control from 24-29 years old. No reason to play any other games with him after this season.

53 minutes ago, wildcard said:

There is no way to know that.

There’s no way of knowing that for sure, but consider, it’s a power-play. Yes, it’s about money but it’s about power and control, and Tony Clark is not very good. He’s not a trained lawyer he’s not a trained negotiator he’s a former baseball player Who “…was close to finishing his degree in history in 2013.” I am a union member and I have many colleagues who have been incredibly involved with union who haven’t the slightest idea what they’re doing. Clark seems to be more of that.

The owners are willing to give on this or that if it keeps the balance of power, and therefore the money, in their hands. Giving up a little bit on free agency will allow Tony to save face, without really changing anything.

I cannot count the number of negotiations I’ve been involved in where my group got absolutely nothing we wanted, got everything we didn’t want, but were Granted one tiny little thing, upon which the union leadership leaped, to show that we had won. That actually has happened in every single one of them, five or six in 30+ years. There’s much more at stake here, and the players have a very poor leader, 

With that in mind, the simplest change would be to free agency. They might endorse the expanded DH, As an inexpensive sop to the opposition, but I hope they don’t. 
We will of course see what actually happens, but I am confident that all this “service time” malarkey’s going away.

39 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I sure hope not. Rutschman should be up here and starting next year. He'll be 24 years old and will have a full season of minor league ball under his belt including I'll assume half a year of AAA. 

The Orioles would have him under team control from 24-29 years old. No reason to play any other games with him after this season.

Under current rules, there’s no difference in terms of service time consequences between bringing Rutschman up today vs. bringing him up within approximately 12 days after Opening Day next year.    So, if you are going to have him on the roster that early next year, you might as well bring him up now and let him gain 90 games of major league experience.   

• Upvote 2