Santander and Hayes both look hurt

accinfo

Both of these guys look like they are laboring running to first and Santander was slow going to that fly ball on Saturday.  Hyde acknowledged this in the post game news conference as well.  I appreciate both of them gutting it out but if they are hurt they should heal and come back 100% healthy.  I am sure they are aware of people labeling them as injury prone but I don't think it does anyone any good for them to play injured.  I think Hayes re-tweaked his hamstring when he made that leaping catch his second game back from the IL.  If Diaz is healthy bring him up with McKenna.  Platoon McKenna with DJ Stewart until the All Star break and maybe Hayes and Santander can be ready to play by then.  The jury is in for me with Stewart but if these guys are hurt he can fill a role for the rest of the first half of this season.  

16 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Both of these guys look like they are laboring running to first and Santander was slow going to that fly ball on Saturday.  Hyde acknowledged this in the post game news conference as well.  I appreciate both of them gutting it out but if they are hurt they should heal and come back 100% healthy.  I am sure they are aware of people labeling them as injury prone but I don't think it does anyone any good for them to play injured.  I think Hayes re-tweaked his hamstring when he made that leaping catch his second game back from the IL.  If Diaz is healthy bring him up with McKenna.  Platoon McKenna with DJ Stewart until the All Star break and maybe Hayes and Santander can be ready to play by then.  The jury is in for me with Stewart but if these guys are hurt he can fill a role for the rest of the first half of this season.  

Well, it's because they are. It's nothing personal, and they both are good ball players when they are healthy, but they just can't keep themselves healthy. Some guys' bodies just don't hold up. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Well, it's because they are. It's nothing personal, and they both are good ball players when they are healthy, but they just can't keep themselves healthy. Some guys' bodies just don't hold up. 

The parallels between Austin Hays and Nolan Reimold are impossible (at least for me) to ignore.  Both very good all around talents with all star potential, and Hays like Reimold can't stay healthy enough to establish himself as one of the best young outfielders in MLB. 

6 hours ago, accinfo said:

I think this is pretty  close to happening.   I agree with Hays and Santander to the IL but I think it will be Jones in left and McKenna in right.  They are both hitting pretty well at AAA.   Diaz has not played at AAA yet but will probably join the Tides  on Tuesday.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think this is pretty  close to happening.   I agree with Hays and Santander to the IL but I think it will be Jones in left and McKenna in right.  They are both hitting pretty well at AAA.   Diaz has not played at AAA yet but will probably join the Tides  on Tuesday.

Jones has been playing a lot of left of late at Norfolk.

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

This seems like the move to make.

25 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Jones has been playing a lot of left of late at Norfolk.

Good because he's no 2B.  

The OF was a source of excitement for me this winter.  Now, Hays and Santander keep right on proving they can't stay healthy.  Mountcastle and Stewart are not OFs.  Does anyone still believe in McKenna or Diaz?  And then there's poor Heston.  <insert Yaz comment here for those who want to gripe.>  Amazing how we went from too many good OFs to one, and that's the guy we all thought was not very good.  I hope ME doesn't respond by drafting Frelick.

25 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Good because he's no 2B.  

The OF was a source of excitement for me this winter.  Now, Hays and Santander keep right on proving they can't stay healthy.  Mountcastle and Stewart are not OFs.  Does anyone still believe in McKenna or Diaz?  And then there's poor Heston.  <insert Yaz comment here for those who want to gripe.>  Amazing how we went from too many good OFs to one, and that's the guy we all thought was not very good.  I hope ME doesn't respond by drafting Frelick.

I agree that Jones needs a lot of work before he will be a good major league 2B. But his bat may help him get the majors as a LFer.

I still consider McKenna and Diaz prospects.  McKenna is hitting a little better at AAA.

I thought over the winter that Mullins was a starting CFer  off what he did last year and him giving up hitting right handed.

There are a lot of outfielders in the O's system that should not push Elias to select Frelick.  If he does that it will be for other reasons IMO.   I want  one of the high school SS, Rocker, Leiter or Davis.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I think there's a difference between a guy who gets injured repeatedly and a guy whose ability to perform is weakened because he plays with an injury that's not yet full healed. A guy can be both, obviously, and at some point a player (Mickey Mantle comes to mind) has so many and serious  chronic injuries that he's got to play with injuries or he won't ever play at all.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

Santander OPS by month:

April .551

May .924

June .567

He's been pretty much a non-factor for the team this year after his breakout season last year. I still think he'll bust out eventually, but the ankle probably isn't doing him any favors. 

19 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I think there's a difference between a guy who gets injured repeatedly and a guy whose ability to perform is weakened because he plays with an injury that's not yet full healed. A guy can be both, obviously, and at some point a player (Mickey Mantle comes to mind) has so many and serious  chronic injuries that he's got to play with injuries or he won't ever play at all.  

But Mantle hit while playing hurt.  Hays and Santander have yet to prove they can do that.