Tuesday, June 22: Orioles vs Astros

SteveA

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If Mountcastle doesn't swing at it how can any self respecting Ump call it a strike?  If it was anything close to a strike he would have swung.

True. I thought ball he hit was gone. I misread it. Sunday he just missed a couple also. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Anyone else a bit concerned about Hays' bat? 

He's worth sending out there even if the bat is a bit below average but I wonder if he's ever going to excel on offense.

He is so hard to judge. He has quick hands. I can’t figure him out. Just wonder about health and constantly missing time. 4-34 since coming back. 

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Anyone else a bit concerned about Hays' bat? 

He's worth sending out there even if the bat is a bit below average but I wonder if he's ever going to excel on offense.

Yeah, a little.  But as you say, he's worth it because of his defense.

He's OPSing .696 this year.   Kevin Pillar's career OPS is .703 (and all the years of his career were in a better hitting environment than 2020).   Now Hays hasn't played as much CF.   But Pillar has had a pretty good career and been an asset to every team he's been on.

We can't complain too much if Hays has a Pillar-like career.   And he's young enough that his hitting can still trend upwards.

Nice DP.  

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yeah, a little.  But as you say, he's worth it because of his defense.

He's OPSing .696 this year.   Kevin Pillar's career OPS is .703 (and all the years of his career were in a better hitting environment than 2020).   Now Hays hasn't played as much CF.   But Pillar has had a pretty good career and been an asset to every team he's been on.

We can't complain too much if Hays has a Pillar-like career.   And he's young enough that his hitting can still trend upwards.

Nice DP.  

How did you see that coming?