Monday June 28: Orioles at Astros Are we losing yet?

GuidoSarducci

Re: The All-Star game Mullins must go, Means should go, as in he should be named but he won’t attend and then somebody else can go in his place which means an extra warm body gets to have the thrill of not seeing his family for four days. And Mancini is already going for the home run contest, I’d like to see a display for the All-Star game, displays of catchers throwing out runners, Or centerfielders throwing strikes on the fly to home plate Or other exhibitions like that, the game itself is kind of stupid

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

Certainly a good question, and I don't know the answer.  Severino sucks at all aspects of being a catcher for the most part,  including framing.  But I honestly hate framing too, and look forward to the day it's no longer relevant.   Either the pitch is or isn't a strike... how the catcher catches it really shouldn't impact the call. 

I was totally looking forward to it until the O's drafted a guy that is supposed to be a wizard at it.

Now I'm a bit conflicted. 

1 minute ago, forphase1 said:

Certainly a good question, and I don't know the answer.  Severino sucks at all aspects of being a catcher for the most part,  including framing.  But I honestly hate framing too, and look forward to the day it's no longer relevant.   Either the pitch is or isn't a strike... how the catcher catches it really shouldn't impact the call. 

On the one hand you are exactly right, on the other hand, I love the idea of being able to take advantage of human foible. I like the skill of being able to trick the Ump into calling a ball a strike. 

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Re: The All-Star game Mullins must go, Means should go, as in he should be named but he won’t attend and then somebody else can go in his place which means an extra warm body gets to have the thrill of not seeing his family for four days. And Mancini is already going for the home run contest, I’d like to see a display for the All-Star game, displays of catchers throwing out runners, Or centerfielders throwing strikes on the fly to home plate Or other exhibitions like that, the game itself is kind of stupid

A skills competition is something I could totally get behind and would watch. I almost never watch the home run derby unless an Orioles player is in it. 

3 minutes ago, Philip said:

I don’t need to watch the game, I can just read the comments here. Bad defense again, or was that a legitimate dropped foul by Mountcastle?

Not dropped he didnt quite get to it running towards the stands trying to catch it over his shoulder.  Would have been a good play but not an ESPN Top 10.

Defense overall has been pretty good.  Hays robbed a HR.  Turned a good DP.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

On the one hand you are exactly right, on the other hand, I love the idea of being able to take advantage of human foible. I like the skill of being able to trick the Ump into calling a ball a strike. 

It is a skill,  and as long as that's the way baseball operates, I want us to have a guy who is good at it.   But at the end of the day I want the human foibles of the players to determine the results,  not the umps.  ? the strike zones are just too varied and inconsistent for it to continue like this.