Hunter Harvey could not come into game due to "shoulder soreness"

Tony-OH

6 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

They were putting icy hot on his shoulder out there.  Clearly he had some issue.  Doesn’t mean it’s IL worthy though(although it’s pretty easy to jump to conclusions for Harvey).  I would imagine every pitcher has arm/shoulder soreness/stiffness on a pretty regular basis.

Hyde said Harvey has been using icy hot for years.  He’s probably not the only one.  

Shaq.

• Haha 2

All Icy Hot does is just blocking the nerves from feeling any pain.  It doesn't do anything to fix pain...at the very least, it's a poor ointment that soothes whatever hurts for a little bit.  It doesn't help anything.

Kinda sad that it's being used for someone in the majors like Hunter Harvey.  I'm wondering if it's something he brought to the park himself or if it's something the training staff actually uses.  

34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I know the commercials, but Clemens, he put it on his junk, that's a real fan of the product.

Shaq's just collecting a paycheck.

Good thing they didn't have Clemens do their commercials.  :eek:

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

Pitching with a stiff shoulder is probably a good way to end your career prematurely.   Also a good way to ensure you pitch poorly.

I’m not going to try to guess whether he has a low pain threshold or whether he’s got the kind of soreness/stiffness that would stop any pitcher from pitching.   But there’s no use in a guy like that pitching with shoulder soreness.  

That's fine, perhaps the pain is not able to be pitched through. But whether you try to pitch through the pain or whether you don't even try the result is the same, his career is over. Not like he is going to suddenly grow a healthy shoulder, this has been literally going on for years already.

32 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

That's fine, perhaps the pain is not able to be pitched through. But whether you try to pitch through the pain or whether you don't even try the result is the same, his career is over. Not like he is going to suddenly grow a healthy shoulder, this has been literally going on for years already.

Well, it goes without saying that his injury problems make him someone we can't rely on, but it's also not fair to say flatly that his career is over.  

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

It depends on the injury and his willingness to keep trying.  Rudy Seanez debuted at 20 and over the next 14 years had just one season of 40 innings pitched.  Then at 36 he struck out 84 in 60 innings and had a 2.69 ERA.  Pitched until he was 39.  I'm sure any number of people said exactly what you're saying about Harvey about Seanez 15 years before he was out of baseball.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It depends on the injury and his willingness to keep trying.  Rudy Seanez debuted at 20 and over the next 14 years had just one season of 40 innings pitched.  Then at 36 he struck out 84 in 60 innings and had a 2.69 ERA.  Pitched until he was 39.  I'm sure any number of people said exactly what you're saying about Harvey about Seanez 15 years before he was out of baseball.

The pay ain’t bad either, or the women. 

On 7/1/2021 at 11:32 AM, Tony-OH said:

Jomboy can be funny, but he's got a hardon for the Orioles as a diehard Yankees fan. I'm sure some kind of icy hot was being applied. How in the world would anyone think that's suspect. Just dumb.

I like Hyde's response the other day, when asked if he would do icy hot in his armpit and he went something like not really, and I would like it even less in other areas.