Franco to IL, Gutierrez up

Legend_Of_Joey

43 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

So... what do they see in Gutierrez - other than a .909 fielding percentage in 34 games at 3B this year and a guy who can't hit?  And... he'd move Leyba to 2nd base - where he's a poor defender.  The Baltimore infield is absurdly bad right now - particularly at 2nd and 3rd.  Am I missing something on Gutierrez - what do they see in him?  

Agree with it or not, they clearly have a timetable for bringing up guys they consider prospects.   Speculate as to the reason, whatever, argue till you are blue in the face.   The fact is, this timetable exists.   When there is a need at the major league level, they are going to bring up a Watkins or Jannis or Wade or Gutierrez or someone like that rather than a real prospect.   We've seen it all year and we'll probably keep seeing it.

All we can do is get used to it.   

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

People are griping, but this guy may not even play an inning and will likely be DFA as soon as they need the roster spot. He’s backup cannon fodder. 

Can’t we get some better quality canon fodder?

Edited by Philip

32 minutes ago, Philip said:

Can’t we get some better quality canon fodder?

This is what cannon fodder looks like. He’s very likely to be DFA by the end of the all star break. He’s there to play in case of a more dire emergency. The Orioles reached emergency status long ago. 

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

What a depressing roster. 

I can't figure out what's more depressing...the roster itself or the players half this board keeps calling for in order to take a roster spot (AR not included, obviously).  

I'm sure Jahmai Jones is going to be awesome.  I can't wait.

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I can't figure out what's more depressing...the roster itself or the players half this board keeps calling for in order to take a roster spot (AR not included, obviously).  

I'm sure Jahmai Jones is going to be awesome.  I can't wait.

That’s definitely not me. Jones was available for trade because he can’t really play a defensive position and it sounds like the Orioles haven’t magically been able to “coach him up”. Surprise, surprise. 

I have been very supportive of the rebuild, but I hope this is the last really putrid roster that the Orioles field for years. It is depressing. 

The saddest part is that as you and others have noted the actual pitching prospects who have been called up have been horrible and have not taken advantage of their opportunities. They were mainly middling prospects, but still prospects. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

The saddest part is that as you and others have noted the actual pitching prospects who have been called up have been horrible and have not taken advantage of their opportunities. They were mainly middling prospects, but still prospects. 

Yeah, these guys suck.  Akin, Kremer, whoever the hell else.

I partially blame that on the constant monitoring of system rankings, it makes fans think that a guy slotted in the 8-12 range could be good when the reality is they probably won't be.  For every Means you get, you get dozens of middling guys who just won't ever turn into anything.  

I'm not saying these guys shouldn't be given shots, it's just that I wonder why people don't temper expectations for someone like an Akin.  Several people on this board have been here for 10+ years and have been following the team for longer.  At some point you gotta wonder if anyone is learning.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, these guys suck.  Akin, Kremer, whoever the hell else.

I partially blame that on the constant monitoring of system rankings, it makes fans think that a guy slotted in the 8-12 range could be good when the reality is they probably won't be.  For every Means you get, you get dozens of middling guys who just won't ever turn into anything.  

I'm not saying these guys shouldn't be given shots, it's just that I wonder why people don't temper expectations for someone like an Akin.  Several people on this board have been here for 10+ years and have been following the team for longer.  At some point you gotta wonder if anyone is learning.

A lot of folks just have unreasonable expectations.  Most guys don't make the transition to valuable major leaguer. 

That is why you get folks calling the Sisco and Stewart types busts.  Because they don't have a firm grasp on the difficulty involved and don't try and educate themselves.

You also raise a good point in regards to Means, or a Mancini.  Folks see someone that isn't highly ranked make it and it raises the expectations for everyone.

• Upvote 1