Franco to IL, Gutierrez up

Legend_Of_Joey

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea but they still need to be given a shot.  This team is sending out players that have zero chance at being here when the team is good and they are almost certainly never going to be on a team that is winning on a consistent basis anywhere in the league.

There is no excuse for that when you have alternative options that are young, cheap and carry upside.

Again, we agree.  I haven't said anything to the contrary.  

So, this Gutierrez guy…?

I know very little of him. I do remember seeing him rated in the Nationals system several years ago. I will say he has a good athletic frame and I can see what they like about him. Maybe they can work with him and get him to buy-in on some plate discipline things. At this point, why not? It is a very bad team, but a land of opportunity for a guy like Gutierrez. 

As far as Jones, I love the bat and athleticism. But nothing drains me more as a coach or fan than when a guy turns what should be an out into an adventure. That really is bad for young pitchers, and our young pitchers need every out they can get. 

• Upvote 1

Watched some of the game tonight and saw Gutierrez make several very nice plays at 3B. He is athletic and agile, quick soft hands and the best arm at 3B since Manny left. He even had a couple of hits. 

The error was on a throw that short-hopped Trey at 1B. The ball went into his glove and bent it back causing the ball to come out as the glove snapped back forward. Trey should have had that. The snag on that by Gutierrez was really nice, but he bounced the throw like it was shot out of a cannon. Franco never sniffs that play. 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

Do prospects like Mountcastle or Jones who don't have a "natural defensive position" ever wind up anywhere other than  LF/1B/DH?  I think there is good reason to be wary of prospects who haven't established themselves as competent defenders at an important position (unless they hit like Frank Thomas).  I think this is one of the reasons the O's passed on Martin in last year's draft, and one of the reasons I am skeptical that they should/will take Henry Davis (a catcher who already seems to be ticketed to wind up at 2B or the outfield) this year.  

48 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Do prospects like Mountcastle or Jones who don't have a "natural defensive position" ever wind up anywhere other than  LF/1B/DH?  I think there is good reason to be wary of prospects who haven't established themselves as competent defenders at an important position (unless they hit like Frank Thomas).  I think this is one of the reasons the O's passed on Martin in last year's draft, and one of the reasons I am skeptical that they should/will take Henry Davis (a catcher who already seems to be ticketed to wind up at 2B or the outfield) this year.  

Mancini played RF.  You didn't say he had to be good there.     Mountcastle did have a natural position. Its 1B.  The O's just refused to play him there for the longest time.

If Elias thinks that Henry Davis' bat has a good chance to be an impact bat in the majors, then taking him is not so risky.   He can probably play 1B and be a trade chip that would bring back a lot in trade if he does not fit with the O's when he is ready.   Henry maybe less risky than Watson or House because he is a college player and less risky than Rocker because Rocker is a pitcher that has had a decrease in velocity at times this year.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I really hope they keep Gutierrez over Franco. At least he can field

Franco provided more pop that Gutierrez likely will, but Gutierrez' defense is much better. I would not be opposed to cutting Franco at this point. He has been a huge disappointment with the bat for me. Gutierrez has some things about him that make him a little intriguing to me. Needs a lot of work on his approach and mechanics though. Kind of reminds me, physically anyway, of a young Jose Bautista. An athletic 3B who struggled until he found a swing change that made him a star, albeit a hated one outside of Toronto.

Leyba is another guy that can play 3B. Leyba isn't pretty over there, but at least he will make the routine plays and has had some solid at bats since being recalled. It also looks like Bannon is getting back on track since coming back from the IL. 

I’m pretty neutral about the relative contributions of Franco vs. Gutierrez.  Franco is definitely not part of our long term plans.   I’d say the odds that Gutierrez isn’t part of our long term plans are about 99%.   I suppose between the two I’d rather give at bats to Gutierrez on the 1% chance that his hitting will begin to look more like his MiL track record (.742 OPS in 2374 PA) than his shorter major league track record (.574 OPS in 255 PA).    But I’m not expecting much and don’t really care what the O’s do with these two.   Just find a better solution for 2022, please.   

• Upvote 3