I haven’t seen any value in Domingo Leyba

Frobby

10 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Leyba has been accessed and found wanting. Worth the shot, but he's an overweight below average defender who hasn't shown an ability to hit major league pitching.

I’ve seen several balls up the middle elude Leyba and Urias in the last few days that a good 2B/SS combo would convert into outs.  Yesterday there was a slow chopper a little to the left of 2B that should have been Urias’ ball, but he let Leyba get it and neither covered 2B where there should have been a pretty easy force play.   Leyba just ate the ball and stood there.   I’m seeing too many plays like that.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ve seen several balls up the middle elude Leyba and Urias in the last few days that a good 2B/SS combo would convert into outs.  Yesterday there was a slow chopper a little to the left of 2B that should have been Urias’ ball, but he let Leyba get it and neither covered 2B where there should have been a pretty easy force play.   Leyba just ate the ball and stood there.   I’m seeing too many plays like that.  

Neither have a lot of range for sure. It was why Urias was being looked at more as a 2B who can play SS on occasion vs an everyday SS. Leyba is just overweight and was never a great defender in the first place.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Neither have a lot of range for sure. It was why Urias was being looked at more as a 2B who can play SS on occasion vs an everyday SS. Leyba is just overweight and was never a great defender in the first place.

I think Urias is a pretty decent utility option.  I’m sold that he can hit a little.  But I don’t want him as my everyday SS, and I’m not sure he’s an everyday 2B either.   

1 hour ago, JimGinSP said:

Don’t forget Richie Martin who has just started his rehab with a game in Florida and another with Bowie.   They are really testing him out too.... 4 SB attempts in the two games, 3 successful.  I think he leapfrogs Leyba.

He could be a dynamic player if he ever learns to hit.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think Urias is a pretty decent utility option.  I’m sold that he can hit a little.  But I don’t want him as my everyday SS, and I’m not sure he’s an everyday 2B either.   

I haven't ruled out that he can't hit enough to be an effective everyday second baseman yet, but there are enough other options moving up through the system that he's probably heading to a utility role.

4 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

As it pertains to J. Jones, even though he's not a top prospect, I get the sense that the team likes him enough that they want him to be a guy that stays up once he's promoted. In my mind, Leyba is a placeholder until the team thinks Jones is ready to move up and stay up.

Jones is going to get a year or two at most before Vavra and Norby are knocking on the door. His bat cooling off in Norfolk isnt helping his case. 

41 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Jones is going to get a year or two at most before Vavra and Norby are knocking on the door. His bat cooling off in Norfolk isnt helping his case. 

Same logic for Vavra (why he's not in Baltimore). Obviously Norby wouldn't be playing in Baltimore right now.

Well, there goes the Galvis for Leyba thought. Leyba is overweight, and has no range. He has taken the most disinterested swings I have seen in a while. They took a rightful look, and it’s not good. So, now what? Do they just bring up Richie? Mason McCoy?