Waiver Wire Idea: J.B. Wendelken

Yardball85

If it goes by league first, and trades aren’t allowed, I see no reason(other than a meager salary, not to claim this guy. This was about the time we claimed O’day all those years ago. I’m not hoping for O’day, but I’ll take an actual MLB quality reliever. There’s too many players at the bottom of our 40 man to mention that could be DFA’d. 

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

https://www.thecubreporter.com/book/export/html/3525

This claims that the league does not matter. Can’t find anything on official MLB site. Have to see what happens.  

Major League Rule 8(c)(3) provides:

(3) Assignment of Player. If a waiver claim is made, the contract shall be assigned in the following manner: (A) If only one claim is entered, assignment shall be made to that claiming Club. (B) If more than one Club makes a claim, assignment shall be to the Club with the lowest winning percentage among the claiming Clubs, without regard to the League of the claiming Clubs.

MajorLeagueRules.pdf (mlbpa.org)

Second time this morning I've had to put on my lawyer hat to answer a question here.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If it goes by league first, and trades aren’t allowed, I see no reason(other than a meager salary, not to claim this guy. This was about the time we claimed O’day all those years ago. I’m not hoping for O’day, but I’ll take an actual MLB quality reliever. There’s too many players at the bottom of our 40 man to mention that could be DFA’d. 

Out of all the players Elias has taken a flier on so far there is no reason to pass on Wendelken if the Orioles get dibs to claim his contract. 

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/08/dbacks-claim-jb-wendelken-waivers-athletics.html

Damnit. Article confirms they did have #1 waiver priority.

Well darn it, but hardly a surprise give a pitcher of Wendelken's quality being made available on the waiver wire. I had brief hope a semi-useful pitcher would get added to the O's bullpen. 

7 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Well darn it, but hardly a surprise give a pitcher of Wendelken's quality being made available on the waiver wire. I had brief hope a semi-useful pitcher would get added to the O's bullpen. 

Silver lining?  Maybe Arizona will win more games with him...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1