Waiver Wire Idea: J.B. Wendelken

Yardball85

He's only been designated for assignment, not put on waivers.  Generally, they have 10 days to trade him or waive him at that point.  However, I'm not sure how the rules apply to a player DFA'd after the trade deadline.  If they are allowed to make a trade, I would think that they would have takers.  We may never get a chance to put in a claim in that case.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NCRaven said:

He's only been designated for assignment, not put on waivers.  Generally, they have 10 days to trade him or waive him at that point.  However, I'm not sure how the rules apply to a player DFA'd after the trade deadline.  If they are allowed to make a trade, I would think that they would have takers.  We may never get a chance to put in a claim in that case.

Looking at J.B.'s resume, I think another team is going to trade for him before a waiver claim can be put on him.  I don't know how that works after the trade deadline though. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/wendejb01.shtml

11 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Looking at J.B.'s resume, I think another team is going to trade for him before a waiver claim can be put on him.  I don't know how that works after the trade deadline though. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/wendejb01.shtml

I think you can still make trades after the deadline, but any acquired player is ineligible for a post season roster.

Meanwhile, I second the applause of those who want to pick him up. We picked up Shawn Anderson for Pete’s sake. There’s nothing wrong with picking up someone who might actually be good.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

I think you can still make trades after the deadline, but any acquired player is ineligible for a post season roster.

Meanwhile, I second the applause of those who want to pick him up. We picked up Shawn Anderson for Pete’s sake. There’s nothing wrong with picking up someone who might actually be good.

Wendelken has an ERA+ of 117 for his career. He's better than most (or maybe all) of the pitchers Elias has claimed so far. It'll probably require a trade to make it happen. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Wendelken has an ERA+ of 117 for his career. He's better than most (or maybe all) of the pitchers Elias has claimed so far. It'll probably require a trade to make it happen. 

I don't think trades of major league guys are allowed under the new rules.   I think DFA means waivers in August.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I don't think trades of major league guys are allowed under the new rules.   I think DFA means waivers in August.

Looks that way and I don't see why not take a flier if the Diamondbacks don't claim him.

https://www.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/trade-deadline

As of 2019, the July 31 Trade Deadline is the only trade deadline. Players may still be placed and claimed on outright waivers after July 31, but trades will no longer be permitted after that date. With regards to newly acquired players, the Aug. 31 postseason roster deadline remains in effect.

21 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I recall Casey Sadler, DFA-Ed by the Rays, despite being a fine pitcher. For some reason the Dodgers got him instead of the Orioles. I think it took a trade, but the cost couldn’t have been too much for us to pay. 
I wonder if Wendelken is too good for the Os?

”He’s not bad…. Better pass or we might win a few games unintentionally…”

edit: I just looked up Casey Sadler. His career has not been great since the Dodgers acquired him, but he still would have been productive for us that year… not “Successful” mind you, but beneficially productive.

Edited by Philip
Addendum

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It's a trade Elias really needs to make. Even if just to throw Hyde a freakin' bone. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's a trade Elias really needs to make. Even if just to throw Hyde a freakin' bone. 

Looks like @SteveAis right and under the new trade deadline rules Wendelken will have to be passed through waivers.

Right now the Diamondbacks are ahead of the Orioles on the waiver claim order, but depending on the timing the Rangers might jump ahead too being just .003% better right now. 

As of 2019, the July 31 Trade Deadline is the only trade deadline. Players may still be placed and claimed on outright waivers after July 31, but trades will no longer be permitted after that date. With regards to newly acquired players, the Aug. 31 postseason roster deadline remains in effect.

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Looks like @SteveAis right and under the new trade deadline rules Wendelken will have to be passed through waivers.

Right now the Diamondbacks are ahead of the Orioles on the waiver claim order, but depending on the timing the Rangers might jump ahead too being just .003% better right now. 

I believe he has to pass through the AL first before the Diamondbacks can claim him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hazmat said:

I believe he has to pass through the AL first before the Diamondbacks can claim him.

You're correct, the O's are 1st in line, but I'm not sure what happens if another team is willing to trade for him.