Chris Davis retires!

MurphDogg

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not.  But he hit .320/.397/.660 with 10 homers and 20 RBI in September of 2012 for our stretch run to the playoffs.  I remember thinking that we finally had a trade work for us.

I rememeber it and Davis' hot streak started with his three home run game against the Blue Jays on August 24th.  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL201208240.shtml

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I didn't mean to imply that he was juicing for sure, but I do agree at a minimum that Davis stopped working out after getting his contract. 

He stopped using his ADD medicine.  I believe he lost his exemption after getting his big deal.  Davis might have been a AAAA guy w/o ADD medicine.  After he got his contract, he had no reason to take it. 

Just now, OriolesMagic83 said:

He stopped using his ADD medicine.  I believe he lost his exemption after getting his big deal.  Davis might have been a AAAA guy w/o ADD medicine.  After he got his contract, he had no reason to take it. 

He lost his exemption before getting his big deal.

1 hour ago, Morgan423 said:

I honestly don't think it matters. 

It's $20M in one go.  You have to be Jeff Bezos before you think that's pocket change.

I'm betting there's alot of things I, you and other people wouldn't do for $20 million assuming they already have $150 million, outside of just "people getting hurt"

Edited by GuidoSarducci

1 minute ago, GuidoSarducci said:

I'm betting there's alot of things I, you and other people wouldn't do for $20 million assuming they already have $150 million, outside of just "people getting hurt"

I can't think of anything I'd need 170M for that I couldn't get for 150M.

Of course I don't have children and I guess accumulating as much wealth as possible for them could be a factor for people.

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So we’re spreading his $17 million for next year over the next three seasons. Not only was this a bad contract but we kicked a lot of money down the road till like 2040. 

At least now we don’t have to lose a guy like Zach Pop in the offseason because of him being on the 40 man. 

So far that's the biggest advantage to this settlement with Davis especially with a rapidly improving farm system. 

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

We don’t know all the details of how this is structured.   There could be provisions that reduce the amount paid if there’s a stoppage.  Or maybe the concessions Davis made otherwise were enough that the O’s feel it’s advantageous even if a stoppage occurs, unless it’s a really long stoppage.  One thing about Boras, he’s pretty creative about finding ways to advantage his clients but also have advantages for the team that don’t create a detriment for his client.   So maybe they came up with something.  

Well many here wanted the contract to be done by DFA and finalizing an unceremonious, "dishonorable" discharge years ago.  "The O's are dragging their feet".  "Do something now", they claimed.  Others wanted them to wait for the impending work stoppage and perhaps saving some more dollars.  Maybe, the "injury-plagued" final chapter saved them some money paid by insurance this year.  None of us wanted CD to be an anchor next year if it came to that.  So this is a compromised ending.  It will be criticized yet because CD gets all of his money.  On the other hand, he is gone, retired, with kind good-byes and the chapter of history is finally concluded - well except for the Bonilla-esque reminder until 2037.  JMHO as ever!  

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

He lost his exemption before getting his big deal.

He had an exemption for adderall in 2013.  He somehow lost it and got busted for using adderall without an exemption in 2014.   He got an exemption for vyvanse for 2015 and had a great season that led to his huge contract.   We never heard anything to suggest that he lost his vyvanse exemption after that.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He had an exemption for adderall in 2013.  He somehow lost it and got busted for using adderall without an exemption in 2014.   He got an exemption for vyvanse for 2015 and had a great season that led to his huge contract.   We never heard anything to suggest that he lost his vyvanse exemption after that.  

Article 

Chris Davis on struggles, false theories and whether he’d quit

Davis was suspended for 25 games in September 2014, covering the Orioles’ final 17 regular-season games, seven postseason games and opening day 2015, for failure to obtain a therapeutic-use exemption from Major League Baseball to take Adderall, prescribed to him after being diagnosed with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). Three years ago he switched to Vyvanse, a different form of stimulant medication that lasts longer in the system.

Are his issues at the plate, including the called third strikes that led the majors last season, somehow related to his medication, though he was taking it during the 2015 season? Davis refers back to his suspension before dousing another theory.

“I understand that was a mistake I may never stop paying for in the eyes of some people, not going through the steps to get reapproved for those couple of years,” he said. “I understand that. But the medication that I take doesn’t make me a great baseball player. The entire reason I started taking this was because life away from baseball was just kind of spiraling out of control and I had never really explored any avenues as far as being diagnosed.