“Get all 30 teams to compete every season”

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

They aren’t over if the players get what they want.  They aren’t over if you have a salary floor, as they should have imo.

Depends on how low floor is. 

It makes no sense to have a system that is you have to spend x amount of dollars in any given season. 

Bottom line is the players fight needs to be earlier FA, earlier arb, service clock etc. They aren’t going to get what they had back. I don’t care what they want.  

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Depends on how low floor is. 

It makes no sense to have a system that is you have to spend x amount of dollars in any given season. 

Bottom line is the players fight needs to be earlier FA, earlier arb, service clock etc. They aren’t going to get what they had back. I don’t care what they want.  

Don't the other major sport leagues in this country have that feature?

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Don't the other major sport leagues in this country have that feature?

Is the NFL like baseball?  Is there a MiL system? Do teams make massive trades? Do teams draft both high school and college players? 

You get picked in the NFL you play right away. You can’t compare apples to oranges. 

If for sake of argument the Orioles spend 140 million and blow it up and $60M the next year they shouldn’t have to spend $20M more because all teams need to be at $80M. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, eddie83 said:

Is the NFL like baseball?  Is there a MiL system? Do teams make massive trades? Do teams draft both high school and college players? 

You get picked in the NFL you play right away. You can’t compare apples to oranges. 

If for sake of argument the Orioles spend 140 million and blow it up and $60M the next year they shouldn’t have to spend $20M more because all teams need to be at $80M. 

Well, it’s not always FAs getting that money either.  This could make teams pay their own players more money sooner too.

If you make it so the younger players get paid sooner, the payrolls are going to increase organically.

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don't like the idea of it in any sport, but it exists for the sake of labor peace.  The existence of a minor league system in baseball wouldn't change that.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Well, it’s not always FAs getting that money either.  This could make teams pay their own players more money sooner too.

If you make it so the younger players get paid sooner, the payrolls are going to increase organically.

Exactly. I am 100% on board with that. I don’t know how any reasonable person can’t be. 

Manny in 13 deserved more than he got didn’t he? 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I don't like the idea of it in any sport, but it exists for the sake of labor peace.  The existence of a minor league system in baseball wouldn't change that.

NFL players play right away. There is a constant churning of rosters. Players careers are shorter. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And they did.

It worked.

Not seeing a problem here.

Do you have a Rays' Snell jersey or something?

If they have to trade players with 3 years of service its not one player a year.  Its trading 5 to 7 players a year.  Its much tougher to do.

I still said it give a bigger advantage to the high payroll team.

Brandon Lowe another fresh one.   Like with Snell, it'll also help his trade value every midseason and every offseason as long as he continues to play reasonably well.    The Rays have limited assets with which to procure player-seasons, but they'll deploy them in any avenue sufficiently advantageous.

We'll see in a couple years if Elias' winning pitch was "full Rays", but I still look for more Buck team like spending when the situation warrants.   I hope Rutschman and Rodriguez command and receive Davis-sized deals across the next 10-12 years.   Or more!